Motoring Discussion > How Embarrassing! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 10

How Embarrassing! - Zero
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65266860
 How Embarrassing! - R.P.
A whole bakery of cakes
 How Embarrassing! - Rudedog
Keys in the ignition or in the car some where if it was keyless start..... insurance won't pay out.
 How Embarrassing! - sooty123
Wouldn't the police self insure?
 How Embarrassing! - Manatee
>> Wouldn't the police self insure?

They did, the last I heard.
 How Embarrassing! - tyrednemotional
..I think the policy (pardon the pun) varies from force to force, and for various types of use.

I'm pretty sure that in a number of cases the (third party) insurance is via commercial arrangements, with a (very) significant excess covered from force funds.

First party might be rather different; one can imagine the headache of insuring vehicles that are habitually used for "hard stops".
 How Embarrassing! - maltrap
Keystone cops comes to mind.
 How Embarrassing! - Bobby
Yip. You ram your police car into a stolen car. Why should insurance foot the bill for that??
 How Embarrassing! - bathtub tom
>> Wouldn't the police self insure?

When I worked for the GPO, I think there was something like 'crown exemption'.

This became obsolete and AFAIU a deposit was placed to avoid insurance companies.

I believe this was then replaced by conventional insurance.
 How Embarrassing! - Boxsterboy
He should drive more caerphilly
 How Embarrassing! - Bromptonaut
>> When I worked for the GPO, I think there was something like 'crown exemption'.
>>
>> This became obsolete and AFAIU a deposit was placed to avoid insurance companies.

When compulsory motor insurance was introduced the alternative to taking out a policy was to lodge a sum of money in court - ie pay it to the Court Funds Office.

For outfits with large fleets that made sense. More so when interest rates on money in court were at 10% plus.

No idea how the numbers are now.
Latest Forum Posts