Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Polo V - Car Batteries Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 18

Volkswagen Polo V - Car Batteries - maltrap
My original fit VW battery lasted 9 years, the nameless replacement has lasted less than 2 years. can anyone recommend a more durable make of battery, many thanks.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Batteries - RichardW
Yuasa - Halfords premium are the same batteries so you can use them if on offer.

spelling correction for battery name
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 11 Apr 23 at 13:51
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Batteries - Zero
The Yuasa - Halfords branded - is my caravan leisure battery, and I will fit a Bosch if and when the beemer one carks it. I'll code it in myself.

Tho with inteligent charging, I expect it to last a fair while yet.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Batteries - Dog
Exide.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Batteries - sooty123
Bosch or halfords.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Batteries - VxFan
Another vote for Yuasa.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Batteries - Rudedog
All of our VWs have come with Varta batteries with VW branding which have held up ok, my previous Golf TDI had a Banner brand which I think is Austrian... I'd go for Varta/Bosch as they are made in the same place.

I've used www.bmstechnologies.co.uk/ in the past, good prices and free next day delivery.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Batteries - R.P.
Yuasa - very well respected in the motorcycling world.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Batteries - Runfer D'Hills
Bless you!
>> All of our VWs have come with Varta batteries

Not sure if Vauxhall still fit Varta, but the one on my Astra died in less than 5 years. Similar comments made by other Vauxhall owners. Varta = absolute carp.

At one time Vauxhall used to fit AC Delco, and they'd last 8 to 10 years easily. Longer if you could be bothered to remove part of the top cover of the "maintenance free" battery and top up the reservoir with distilled water that fed each cell.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 12 Apr 23 at 10:46
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Batteries - Manatee
>>Not sure if Vauxhall still fit Varta, but the one on my Astra died in less than 5 years.
>>Similar comments made by other Vauxhall owners. Varta = absolute carp.

I generally buy Varta Blue. If they are carp then so are Bosch, most or all of the Bosch blue batteries are identical because they are made by Varta. Most of the OE ones are actually Varta Black, the bottom of the range. Blue should be better than OE. Both the Roomster and the MX-5 had Varta Black OE batteries. The Roomster's lasted 9 years which I consider OK.

I've recently replaced the original Roomster battery, and preemptively changed the MX-5 one, with/for Varta Blue from Tayna as usual.

My caravan battery, which serves for leisure but mainly for the mover, is a Varta Silver (AGM) 80Ah. It was allowed to go flat in storage where is has been for 4 years. Recently charged up and appears totally healthy. Just as well as it would be £160 to replace.

MX-5 people love Yuasa, probably because of the Japaneseness. The 5000 series are undoubtedly OK.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 12 Apr 23 at 12:20
>> Most of the OE ones are actually Varta Black, the bottom of the range.

That'll probably be the reason then.

But I can remember that normal household batteries (AAA, AA, C, D cells etc) made by Varta weren't much cop either.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 13 Apr 23 at 10:48
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Batteries - henry k
>> Another vote for Yuasa.
>>
My previous Yuasa lasted about four years but I think my regular infrequent use, short trips and not using my battery conditioner regularly did not help it have a longer life.
I have just bought and fitted another Yuasa.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Batteries - Bromptonaut
The OEM item in my 2006 Fabia gave up the ghost in 2021 after being left on the drive at home for a fortnight while we were in Scotland. It was getting temperamental during the pandemic demanding to be driven to charge and being constantly in a state where Stop/Start was inoperative.

Replaced by Halfords who came and fitted it on my drive. All good since.
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Batteries - Lygonos

Yuasa batteries, Pagid brakes, MANN filters for me.

At a tangent, my house alarm has a Yuasa lead-acid back-up battery, like a motorcycle one. 19 years old and still kicks out the amps if I forget to set it right.
.Shonky phone signal - doube post
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 12 Apr 23 at 21:28
Shonky phone signal - triple post!
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 12 Apr 23 at 21:27
 Volkswagen Polo V - Car Batteries - Runfer D'Hills
Battery ok Doc?
;-)
In a hotel in Salou with Wi-Fi that's a bit flaky!
Latest Forum Posts