Motoring Discussion > Tyres for comfort Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Aretas Replies: 25

Tyres for comfort - Aretas
My i10 and shambolic road services don't go together, making driving rather uncomfortable. The tyres are Hankook Kinenergy. Are we likely to get a much more comfortable ride with Michelin Cross-Climate or similar?

Are recommended tyre pressures determined by the car, or do different makes (of the same size) have different recommended pressures?
 Tyres for comfort - VxFan
Check the tyre pressures aren't set to the eco settings.

i.e. set to the highest pressures to have the least rolling resistance, to give the best mpg.

Sorry, VxFan, I am more interested in comfort than economy. Only do about 2K an year.
 Tyres for comfort - martin aston
I doubt swapping the tyres on the same wheels would make much difference to comfort. The only way to make a real difference would be to go for smaller wheels and a higher sidewall. These would need to be notified to your insurance company as modifications.
Is it really worth the expense and hassle for so few miles?
 Tyres for comfort - Biggles
>> Sorry, VxFan, I am more interested in comfort than economy. Only do about 2K an
>> year.
>>
Hence the suggestion.
 Tyres for comfort - Dog
>>The tyres are Hankook Kinenergy. Are we likely to get a much more comfortable ride with Michelin Cross-Climate

Both those tyres are all-season jobbies, so will have a softer compound than say my Continental Eco Contact tyres, so I wouldn't waste yore Monet if I were ewe.

Change the car, or move to somewhere like godforsaken Cornwall, which has less potholes, but more tourists.

:o)
 Tyres for comfort - RichardW
Most all seasons tyres have higher load index and therefore stiffer sidewalls, presumably to help with summer handling. If you look for some tyres with a low load index (like less than 90) the sidewall will be softer and the ride more supple.
 Tyres for comfort - tyrednemotional
>> >>The tyres are Hankook Kinenergy. Are we likely to get a much more comfortable ride
>> with Michelin Cross-Climate
>>
>> Both those tyres are all-season jobbies,

...it appears that the Kinenergy range contains both standard (summer) and all-season tyres.

Since the OP hasn't quoted a particular tyre model, I don't think one can assume that they're all-season.
 Tyres for comfort - Runfer D'Hills
If it becomes unbearable, it might help a bit if you change your car for something with a longer wheelbase. Generally speaking that can help to make a car less “bouncy”.
Even though the tyres on my car have the profile of watchstraps and are XL rated, it just glides over bumps due to its length. My wife’s and son’s cars both being shorter are much more prone to “feeling” bad surfaces.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 10 Apr 23 at 12:32
 Tyres for comfort - Zero
I had a set of Firestone Turanza on the Beemer (runflats) The ride was awful, tramlines and noisy.

The rears wore out and replaced with a pair of Goodyear Efficient Grips. Noticed an immediate difference, they ride much better and less noisy. The fronts have a few K miles left and will be replaced with the Goodyears.

I always go for tyres rated A for rain.
 Tyres for comfort - Kevin
>My i10 and shambolic road services don't go together,..

Got it in one!

Simply changing tyres isn't going to make any considerable difference except to your wallet.
Thanks, all.
Sorry VxFan for miss interpreting your message.
 Tyres for comfort - slowdown avenue
i had the early i 10 , it youse to bounce all over the road as i had the tyres pump up on the high side. the car really didnt like rough road. best keep the pressure low and use soft tyres . check your drop rods
>> Thanks, all.
>> Sorry VxFan for miss interpreting your message.

No probs. I got sidetracked and forgot to add when I had my car serviced, one of their planet saving mechanics checked and adjusted my tyre pressures to the eco settings.

When I picked the car up, the ride was harsh and very uncomfortable. It was only when I checked the tyre pressures, I found that they were all set at 40 psi, instead of the usual 33 that I run them at (recommended comfort pressures).

Damn meddling environmentalists ;)
 Tyres for comfort - smokie
Irrelevant to this thread but not worthy of it's own - I went out his morning and was scrolling round the info screens and the tyres on the side of the car facing the sun (which wasn't much by 09:00 today) as it had been parked overnight were 10 degrees hotter than those on the other side. Took about 4 miles for them to nearly balance.
 Tyres for comfort - Bromptonaut
Citroen's with Hydropneumatic suspension had similar problems with very little brake force going to the rears, particularly for cars mainly used with just the driver. The amount of fluid directed to the rear discs was restricted as the height corrector was not sensing any load.

'Solution' was to put a couple of bags of builders sand in the boot.

The handbrake worked on the front discs too.
>> were 10 degrees hotter than those on the other side.

Not nitrogen filled then?
 Tyres for comfort - smokie
I've no idea, what diff would that make?
 Tyres for comfort - Zero
>> Irrelevant to this thread but not worthy of it's own -

The right rear on mine runs 8c hotter than the rest. Its the one nearest the exhaust outlet.

In normal mode anyway, I can balance them up by using sports mode and gunning it so the sports flap is in use.
I’m sure I haven’t ever had one, but even if I had, I wouldn’t want to admit to having a sports flap.
 Tyres for comfort - Zero
you need a 6 pack to have a sports flap.
 Tyres for comfort - Zero
Oh and real exhausts in the rear lower panel, not fake ones with a bus like bent pipe poking out the bottom.
I’ll defer to your more intimate knowledge of bent things things sticking out of buses…
 Tyres for comfort - Duncan
>> I’ll defer to your more intimate knowledge of bent things things sticking out of buses…
>>

Excellent Runfer! A long memory can be so useful.

Pray, tell us, did you think of while lying on the ground after an off?
 Tyres for comfort - tyrednemotional
...thinking of bent things sticking out of bushes...?
 Tyres for comfort - bathtub tom
>> I’m sure I haven’t ever had one, but even if I had, I wouldn’t want
>> to admit to having a sports flap.

Did Paula Radcliffe have one?
Latest Forum Posts