Motoring Discussion > Jaguar - Dealer Parts Prices Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Kevin Replies: 18

Jaguar - Dealer Parts Prices - Kevin

Last week the Jag threw up a hard ABS and Stability Control Error. Code reader said that it was right rear ABS sensor or wiring fault. A quick google revealed that SNG Barratt who are usually ~10% under dealer prices want £72 each for an aftermarket repro sensor or £192 each if it comes in a Jaguar bag.

For a 10¢ Hall effect chip encased in a bit of plastic!

With nothing to lose I ordered repro parts from a well known auction site that come with a 3 year guarantee (yeah, I know) and cost me £15 for two.

Wheel off, wiring checked, new one fitted and code reset yesterday followed by a short run to let it complete it's diags. Half hour job with Jag and wallet now happy.

Now, I have no objection to manufacturers and dealers adding a few bob to cover their costs and make a reasonable profit but £192 for a two quid part is taking the P.
 Jaguar - Dealer Parts Prices - Fullchat
A common theme. A lot of parts pricing is Extortionate + 20% + VAT accompanied with a deep intake of breath through clenched teath. Makes you wonder how they price up the parts. Yet sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised.
Some dealer service items like brakes can be extortionately priced by the service departments yet you can source the equivalent at factors for considerably less. Of course people will be sucked into paying.
I bought this last week.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155362348702

A plastic reflector. £108 inc postage. New item. From a dealer it would have been £167 - Jeez! I did try a second hand one but they seem to suffer from brittle plastic mountings so had to return. Decided the new one was the better option to save messing about.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 5 Apr 23 at 00:28
 Jaguar - Dealer Parts Prices - Zero

>> Now, I have no objection to manufacturers and dealers adding a few bob to cover
>> their costs and make a reasonable profit but £192 for a two quid part is
>> taking the P.

the Jag ones are waterproof. Hs it rained yet..........
 Jaguar - Dealer Parts Prices - Kevin
>Hs it rained yet..........

I was thinking of washing it today so it's raining now. Not heavily but enough.
 Jaguar - Dealer Parts Prices - sooty123
but £192 for a two quid part is
>> taking the P.
>>

Those glass palaces don't pay for themselves!
 Jaguar - Dealer Parts Prices - zippy
New wiper blades x3 quoted £77 at main dealer as part of the annual service.

Don’t they just replace the rubbers any more?
 Jaguar - Dealer Parts Prices - bathtub tom
I had similar with a Toyota, high level rear brake light. Half a dozen surface mount LEDs inside a housing that clips in. £100.
I sourced a couple of LED strips from an online auction site. Managed to open the original without damaging the outer lense and inserted one of the strips (after folding the end with one LED back on itself).
I now had an eleven LED light, replacing the original six LED for an hours work and a couple of quid. Not quite as bright as the original, but it passed its MOT last month and I've a spare strip of LEDs.
 Jaguar - Dealer Parts Prices - Dave_
>> Half a dozen surface mount LEDs inside a housing that clips in. £100.
>> I sourced a couple of LED strips from an online auction site.
>> Managed to open the original without damaging the outer lense and inserted one of the strips

That would cost more than £100 in dealer technician's hourly rate to do that.
>> New wiper blades x3 quoted £77 at main dealer as part of the annual service.
>>
>> Don’t they just replace the rubbers any more?

No, they are usually all in one these days

>> >> Don’t they just replace the rubbers any more?
>> No, they are usually all in one these days

The motor factors I use supply the rubbers by the yard/metre/meter (the last for Duncan ;>))
They can supply what the hell they like, but modern blade holders dont take them.
 Jaguar - Dealer Parts Prices - zippy
As I am still prohibited from driving, I will ask Miss Z to drive me down to the local car parts shop at the weekend to get some new blades.

Are they easy to fit (spoilt by 20+ years of company cars - not having to do them)?

They are providing you sort out the orientation of the blade and the mounting clip on the new one prior to removing the old one. Some have a choice of clips to fix the blade onto the arm so again establish which clip an fit to the new blade before removing the old one.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhSUFoKqnHU
 Jaguar - Dealer Parts Prices - Duncan

>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhSUFoKqnHU
>>

Not only that, but those nice people at Halfords wil fit your wiper blades for you, for a small fee.
That's a very good point.
 Jaguar - Dealer Parts Prices - CGNorwich
It’s a one minute job. Took longer to get them out of the packaging than fit them. If you can change a light bulb you can change a wiper blade unit.
 Jaguar - Dealer Parts Prices - VxFan
>> Not only that, but those nice people at Halfords wil fit your wiper blades for you, for a small fee.

After seeing the mess they made fitting wiper blades to a colleagues Zafira, I wouldn't pay them in peanuts.

For unknown reasons they took the wiper arms off the spline shafts, rounding off the bolts in the process, and then refitted them completely out of alignment, and did the bolts back up with molegrips. It wasn't until she went to use them, that she found out what a balls up they made of it all. The wipers met in the middle of the screen, and because they weren't aligned, clashed with one another and bent both arms out of shape. (the Zafira arms have scissor movement)

She went back to complain, and they refused to accept blame.
Halfords staff are no more than shop assistants. Anyone who uses molegrips on a hexagon....................................
 Jaguar - Dealer Parts Prices - VxFan
>> Anyone who uses molegrips on a hexagon....................................

They were no longer hexagon, because I guess they used the wrong socket or spanner to undo them.

Their light bulb changing service isn't much better either.
Latest Forum Posts