Motoring Discussion > Ad Blue Miscellaneous
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 35

Ad Blue - wotspur
So my newish vehicle (16 new to me) has come up with a warning light that I have under 350 miles to go ,before I won’t be able to drive it . This is all new to me .
So any tips on having it done by my garage ( service booked for the 30th) or do I do it myself , is it easy , and any recommendations, are there different qualities or ad Blue and things to do and not do ?
 Ad Blue - Bromptonaut
No experience of Euro 6 diesels so far though the next one will be.

First though is where is TFM and have you R'd it :-)
 Ad Blue - zippy
Don't let it run out - the computer is very likely to say "no" when you come to try to re-start the car.

Mine is fairly easy to do.

The filler cap is next to the fuel cap but the hole and cap is smaller.

You can get large containers from most garages but they can be difficult to get in to the right position to pour, especially considering the small aperture. A nozzle should be supplied, but isn't always so check. My car takes 14l.

I think some makes insist on their own brand or ad-blue is used.

Last edited by: zippy on Sun 18 Dec 22 at 13:40
 Ad Blue - Runfer D'Hills
It’s easy, just locate the filler cap and pour some in. The filler for mine is under the boot floor so a bit of a faff to get at but easy enough when you’re used to it. Bit like filling your windscreen washer bottle. Most forecourts will sell you a 5L container or a 10L one. My car will take 25L if empty but I generally just chuck in 20L which seems to last about 10,000 miles.
I keep a 5L container of the stuff in my garage “just in case” ( of what I’m not entirely sure) ;-)

You can even buy the stuff on Amazon if you want.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 18 Dec 22 at 15:41
 Ad Blue - Falkirk Bairn
The main producers for Europe are in Germany.
Some have closed down due to the cost of energy.

In previous years there were always Adblue at every petrol station - not so around here.

It's up in price my son paid some £23 for 10 litres 2 months ago - I think he said the previous lot was nearer £12.

Costco had plenty 2 weeks ago - about £12.50 for 5 litres IIRC
 Ad Blue - Mr Moo
Might also want to consider the brand of Ad Blue that you go for. I’m sure it’s all supposed to be manufactured to a given standard, but some cars appear to be more picky than others.

A colleague used some Halfords Ad Blue for his company Jaguar XE and ended up having to get the JLR dealer to flush that out of the Ad Blue tank and lines and replaced with some JLR branded Ad Blue after the baby Jag threw a hissy fit on the cheap(er) stuff!
Last edited by: Mr Moo on Sun 18 Dec 22 at 20:07
 Ad Blue - zippy
>>Jaguar...

That's it. I knew one brand was fussy but I couldn't put my finger on the circumstances.

Bit like BMW and their screen wash.
 Ad Blue - wotspur
Do you have to put it in when the engine is cold ? Or can I drive 20 miles and then put it in ?
 Ad Blue - zippy
>> Do you have to put it in when the engine is cold ? Or can
>> I drive 20 miles and then put it in ?
>>

No. It can go in at any time. It doesn't get mixed with the fuel. It goes in to a separate tank and is injected in to the exhaust before it gets to the catalytic converter (so I have been told).
 Ad Blue - VxFan
Both Screwfix and Toolstation sell AdBlue.

Generally cheaper too for the 10 litre tubs. Currently £22.99 in both places.
 Ad Blue - wotspur
Ah thanks for the advice ,hadnt rhought of Screwfix nor toolstation ,was gonna go to a Halfords or Independant car accessory place , Get a 10pms and see how it goes
 Ad Blue - VxFan
>> Ah thanks for the advice ,hadn't thought of Screwfix nor toolstation

Not many do, which is why I mentioned it. I think the main reason they sell it is because tradesmen with modern diesel vans require it. So while the plumber or electrician is getting parts for their next job, they can also buy the adblue at the same time. And most likely claim the VAT back on it too.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 Dec 22 at 10:40
 Ad Blue - Bill Payer
>> I keep a 5L container of the stuff in my garage “just in case” (
>> of what I’m not entirely sure) ;-)

I don't know in what way it goes off but I think you're supposed to use it within a year.
 Ad Blue - Rudedog
Always seen big containers of it in my local Shell garage with Shell branding.. didn't notice the price though.
 Ad Blue - carmalade
One golden rule of cars with adblue, is don’t overfill the tank . Not sure what vehicle you have , but there should be some kind of level indicator.
 Ad Blue - wotspur
I have a Citreon Picasso C4 Grand . I’ll try and find out the capacity it has and buy enough for 75-80% ,good tip . When you mean overfill it ,do you mean so it comes out , cause my entry point is in the boot back row of the seats .
 Ad Blue - Bobby
I think it rather smells is the point…..
 Ad Blue - RichardW
>> I have a Citreon Picasso C4 Grand . I’ll try and find out the capacity
>> it has and buy enough for 75-80% ,good tip . When you mean overfill it
>> ,do you mean so it comes out , cause my entry point is in the
>> boot back row of the seats .
>>

Oh dear.... I hate to burst you bubble, but.... PSA have a real problem with their ad blue systems. The ad blue pump and electronics are part of the tank, and the ad blue has a habit of getting through the seal and into the electronics, and ruing them. The only rectification is a complete new tank (with the pump / electronics built in). Currently these retail from Citroen at around £1000 - £1200 - if you can get one. Plus diagnostics and fitting. Reason I say this is the the warning should come on at1500 miles to go - if yours has come on unexpectedly at 350 miles, then there's a good chance that the electronics have had it - sorry! But stick some in and see if it goes off first.

PSA do offer an extended warranty on these items however, how old is the car? If it's <5 years / 90k, then they might cover it. But I recall that you relatively recently bought this? In which case you might be able to get the supplying dealer to fix (or get it done under a warranty that came with it?).

If you do have to cough up, then the tanks are available outside the dealers (e.g. try Neo Brothers) at around £600, and they're not that hard to fit - although getting the system to reset can be a trial apparently.

For reference the tank on these is about 17litres - I put 10litres at a time in ours (1.6) which lasts about 8k miles. Getting to the filler without getting it everywhere is a mare - a funnel is a must! Ours is just over 5 years old and 50k now, so I am just waiting to have to fit a new tank really....
 Ad Blue - Boxsterboy
Ahh, for the days when diesels were 'simple' technology. All this Adblue complexity (high pressure pumps, heaters, etc.) makes then more hassle than their benefits are worth.
 Ad Blue - carmalade
Yes , don’t fill it to the brim of the filler neck . Perhaps put 1litre in at a time . Are you sure it’s the adblue that’s low ? Many of these later models Citroen/ Peugeot have both an adblue and a fap fluid tank .
 Ad Blue - Bromptonaut
>> Many of these later models Citroen/ Peugeot have both an adblue and a fap fluid
>> tank .

That's a good shout. IIRC fap on our Berlingo comes on at around 300 miles. Not sure how easy that one is as DIY.
 Ad Blue - RichardW
No count down on the DPF additive (Eolys). You can DIY refill but it needs to go on the computer to reset the counter - AdBlue will auto reset (unless there's a fault...). Eolys usually lasts about 100k. Got to do my Sister's 2011 C4 Pic when she gets the fluid, and I expect my 3008 will need doing next year.
 Ad Blue - maltrap
Just been to Screwfix, They sell Adblue
 Ad Blue - VxFan
>> Just been to Screwfix, They sell Adblue

Yep ;)

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=30372&m=655898&v=e

My mate asked the other day if they were a dating agency.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 20 Dec 22 at 13:10
 Ad Blue - tyrednemotional
>>
>> My mate asked the other day if they were a dating agency.
>>

...given the age of most on here, a prior visit to Toolstation might be appropriate ;-)
 Ad Blue - wotspur
Thanks for all your responses .
Today I bought 2x 10 lt. as my car apparently takes 17lts .£35.95 for two bottles .UNITY MOTORS BYFLEET . so a good price . Came with its own nozzle , which wasn’t long enough so had to improvise with a funnel , but job done , went for a drive and the warning sign has disappeared,so hopefully all is ok
 Ad Blue - legacylad
When did this Ad Blue become a necessary additive ? When DPFs became the norm with diesel cars, which must have been several years ago ?
 Ad Blue - Bromptonaut
>> When did this Ad Blue become a necessary additive ? When DPFs became the norm
>> with diesel cars, which must have been several years ago ?

Not DPF; that was about removing particulates.

AdBlue is a Euro 6 thing and relates to a catalytic process whereby NOx in the exhaust is significantly reduced.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 21 Dec 22 at 22:07
 Ad Blue - legacylad
So the latest Euro 6 diesels then?
Whatever Euro 6 is...I’ll google it, but as my neighbours have 15/16 plate diesels I ask them tomorrow night at our Christmas booze up. They each own Yeti 4x4 Tdi’s ( which I thought may be ok for an off the beaten track 8 week Spanish road trip).
 Ad Blue - Bromptonaut
Euro 6 was a progression of emission standards for various categories of vehicle, including cars, from the nineties onwards.

Our 2013 HDi Berlingo and the 2011 diesel Roomster I had for a while both pre dated Euro 6. Next car, likely a Skoda Superb, will be recent enough to be Euro 6 and need AdBlue.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards#Emission_standards_for_passenger_cars
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 21 Dec 22 at 22:26
 Ad Blue - Bobby
My 2016 BMW doesn’t have adblue
 Ad Blue - Bromptonaut
>> My 2016 BMW doesn’t have adblue

I guess if it can meet the NOx standard for diesels without then that's OK.
 Ad Blue - Mr Moo
I used to have an early 2016 Golf GTD. That was Euro 6 compliant but didn’t need Adblue. I think there were various iterations of Euro 6 that got progressively cleaner, so given that the later ones did need Adblue, I guess it was a ‘dirty’ Euro 6!
 Ad Blue - Dave_
>> Next car, likely a Skoda Superb, will be recent enough to be Euro 6 and need AdBlue

My 2016 Octavia TDI is Euro 6 (so OK to go into the London LEZ) and doesn't have AdBlue.
 Ad Blue - carmalade
Not to get confused with Bluemotion , blue efficiency or blue efficient dynamics , which have nothing to do with adblue.
 Ad Blue - Bromptonaut
>> Not to get confused with Bluemotion , blue efficiency or blue efficient dynamics , which
>> have nothing to do with adblue.

I read somewhere that German brands use Blue in that context because Green is associated with the Green Party in German politics.
Latest Forum Posts