Motoring Discussion > "I've only had a couple" Legal Questions
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 23

"I've only had a couple" - Fullchat
This takes me back.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDU5ps3B-O8
 "I've only had a couple" - Manatee
Sobering!
 "I've only had a couple" - Falkirk Bairn
Glasgow University student drinks 4 pints of cider - clips a youngster on her way home.

The boy was nor seriously hurt BUT she fails to stop. Gets home and her parents take her to police station.

Sentenced to YOI and commits suicide!

www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/family-young-scots-woman-who-28618661
 "I've only had a couple" - Runfer D'Hills
I rarely drink now, but when I do, I never drive until 12 hours have elapsed since my last drink.
Never ever even have one drink before driving.

My closest friend from early childhood through to our young adulthood was killed by a drunk driver who said he had “only had a couple”.

There is just no excuse.
 "I've only had a couple" - Bobby
This has had a lot of coverage in Scotland but I didn’t realise they had actually taken her into the station.

That must cause them even more pain.
Last edited by: Bobby on Wed 7 Dec 22 at 13:42
 "I've only had a couple" - Bromptonaut
>> This has had a lot of coverage in Scotland but I didn’t realise they had
>> actually taken her into the station.

Is the woman in some way famous?
 "I've only had a couple" - Zero

>> Is the woman in some way famous?

She wasn't, but she is now.
>> She wasn't, but she is now.

Got it now. Bobby's comment relates to the death in prison.

For no obvious reason I jumped to the conclusion that it related to the young woman in the Durham Police vid who was reluctant to blow for an alcohol in breath roadside test.
The young student was from a "nice area" in Glasgow. She went to one of the best performing Comprehensives in Scotland (selection by property values). She went on to Glasgow University.
A "sheltered life" ........................

and then prison - she would, in all probability, have never met any of the type of the girls & young men in Polmont YOI.

4 x over the lower Scottish Drink Drive limit, hits kerb and then a 15 year old runner and then failing to stop.

Overnight her life changed and she could not cope after months of bullying, harassment etc etc.
 "I've only had a couple" - Robin O'Reliant
It seems to be women who kick off the most when arrested, at least for DD.
 "I've only had a couple" - Fullchat
Some of the biggest rucks I had were with arrested drink drivers who suddenly realised the impact on their lives in the near future.
 "I've only had a couple" - R.P.
We went out for a meal the other night, I had two pints and Mrs RP had half a bottle of wine. We got the bus home. I won't drink and drive.
 "I've only had a couple" - legacylad
I went out for a meal last night. Invited to friends who live 200 yards away. 8 of us who are often in Spain at the same resort at the same time, and in the U.K. we live within a 3/4 mile radius.
We call it Settle by the Sea.
A fabulous meal cooked by our hosts. Buckets of beer, wine, fizz, port & brandy.

I had two,large glasses of iced water with a slice of lemon. I just didn’t fancy alcohol.

Today I’ll probably be in the pub early doors at 4, leave at 6:30 after 5 pints when the diners start arriving and filling the place up.

"I've only had a couple" - bathtub tom
>> Today I’ll probably be in the pub early doors at 4, leave at 6:30 after
>> 5 pints when the diners start arriving and filling the place up.

Five pints in two-and-half hours? I haven't been able to do that for a good few years.
 "I've only had a couple" - Runfer D'Hills
Don’t think I’ve ever had 5 pints in 24 hours to be honest. Just can’t handle the volume of liquid. Whisky however, well, that has few limits. ;-)
 "I've only had a couple" - sooty123
Its a rate, but some drink that fast.

Depends on the beer as well, what's yours LL?
>> Depends on the beer as well, what's yours LL?
>>
Pale hoppy beers, 4.0% - 4.2%.
My two favourite Settle watering holes have constantly changing beers on draught....often a barrel only lasts 24 hours then it’s gone.
Fortunately most of the visitors to Settle drink Theakstons or Settle Brewery ....I avoid both.
And strongly dislike the lauded, mass produced Doom Bar and its ilk. Support the smaller breweries. Goose Eye do a lovely Chinook, Ilkley Brewery ( Mary Jane) Ossett (Citra and White Rat)...hundreds more.

Some beers, aka Hawkshead Breweries Windermere Pale is only 3.5%, but packs bags of flavour.

Can’t be doing with strong continental beers...too expensive and how do you eke out 3 small bottles over an evening ?

I don’t touch spirits, apart from G & Ts in Spain. Same goes for wine...I may buy the very occasional bottle to take to a dinner party as a show of goodwill, but drink plenty of vino in Spain, even splashing out €4.49 in Lidl for an Albariño.
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 9 Dec 22 at 13:18
 "I've only had a couple" - bathtub tom
>>Some beers, aka Hawkshead Breweries Windermere Pale is only 3.5%, but packs bags of >>
>>flavour.

I've found the lower strength beers have a flavour more to my taste and tend towards the straw coloured/hoppy/citrus types. Had a couple of pints Evil Elf (4%) and Exmoor Gold (4.5) recently.
Never heard of them....I’ll keep an eye out, but 4.5% is erring toward the max strength I imbibe.

Hoppy and bags of citrus suit my palate. A world away from Tetleys Bitter, the original Leeds brew of my youth. Used to neck two or 3 pints of Taylor’s Landlord in the Boltmakers Arms in Keighley every night after work before catching the train home. That’s another brew which has fallen out of favour with my palate.
 "I've only had a couple" - Kevin
Ah, Tetley's.

In the nearest town to us in Yorkshire we had a character called Tetley-Tony. One Saturday a group of us had been on an all day pub crawl for some reason and ended up at our Rugby Club. Tetley was there and at last orders he said

"Bell's gone. You lot not 'avin another?"

"No, we've had enough, we've been at it since lunchtime. What time did you come out?"

"Tuesday" says he.
 "I've only had a couple" - sooty123
I wouldn't be able to drink hoppy beers that fast, perhaps 1 pint a night or maybe a half. Can't get on with them truth be told.
The darker beers are more my thing.
 "I've only had a couple" - VxFan
>> We went out for a meal the other night, I had two pints and Mrs RP had half a bottle of wine. We got the bus home.

Reminds me of the joke

"Was drinking at a bar, so I took a bus home. That may not seem like a big deal to you, but I've never driven a bus before."
2 men from Glasgow decided to have a night out in Paisley, only 12 miles away.

After quite a few drinks they managed to miss the last bus.

One of them had driven a bus before so they decided to steal a bus!

One was the lookout at the bus depot and the other went in to steal bus.

20+ mins passed, there were engines starting, alarms going off and eventually a bus made it to the street.

"What the f**k have you been doing?"
"Getting a bus"

That was nearly 30 minutes!

"The Glasgow bus was at the very back and I had to move the others out of the way"

I'll get my coat!
>> "The Glasgow bus was at the very back and I had to move the others
>> out of the way"
>>
>> I'll get my coat!

Mrs B's cousin does that one as part of his dinner table raconteur schtik but in the persona of Jethro and at Truro bus garage...
Latest Forum Posts