Motoring Discussion > BMW - BMW B58 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Kevin Replies: 4

BMW - BMW B58 - Kevin
Zero, you've got one of these haven't you?

I've decided to save the planet so I'm considering swapping one of our cars for something with better gas mileage and a 440i is on the list.

Is there anything I should be looking for when checking out a 3 to 4yo example?
 BMW - BMW B58 - Zero
Its all about mileage and service history. 18k mile oil changes, 36k plug changes (6 of them) 72k transmission fluid and filter changes (BMW say its sealed for life, ZF who make the box deny it)

Is it the X-drive?

It takes a fair while for the economy to build up, now at 66k its averaging 33mpg. general opinion is that the B58 has been bullet proof to date, ditto the ZF8 box, and the combo of the two is utterly blissful, from imperceptible smooth silent wafting to neck snapping "sheet am I really going that fast?"

So no, if the service history is complete, nothing to worry about. There is a very good indy in Camberly, he has all the gear - 50% of the BMW cost.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 23 Nov 22 at 21:29
 BMW - BMW B58 - Kevin
Not X-drive and less than 40k so 36k service should have been done.

All the info I've read so far boils down to speculation about oil/coolant leaks and Vanos solenoids playing up.
 BMW - BMW B58 - Zero
>> Not X-drive and less than 40k so 36k service should have been done.
>>
>> All the info I've read so far boils down to speculation about oil/coolant leaks and
>> Vanos solenoids playing up.

Seems to me that most of that (oil and VANOS anyway) is fears carried over from the previous lump, the N55. The coolant "loss" is misunderstood, overhyped or rather unexplained. from 0- 18k miles it will loose about .3 litres, no sign of where its gone. from 18-36k the loss drops to about .2l, from 36k onwards its stable - no loss. The intercooler coolant level is stable from mile 1

Its recognised to be BMW's most reliable lump to date, so good that Toyota happily use it.

After your warranty is over, dropping oil changes to 12k (ignoring the BMW service indicator) is deemed to be good practise, which is is what I do.
 BMW - BMW B58 - Boxsterboy
>> Its recognised to be BMW's most reliable lump to date, so good that Toyota happily
>> use it.
>>

Oh, that bodes well for my Berlingo then, on which Toyota happily put their badges!
Latest Forum Posts