Motoring Discussion > Bike carrier / roofrack clever ideas needed Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 10

Bike carrier / roofrack clever ideas needed - Bobby
Brother has a Peugeot 3008. Cant fit a rear mounted bike carrier as the top of boot is a plastic spoiler.
Cant use roof bars as he is not the tallest.
Wont get a towbar as they are a ridculous high price.

Just thinking, the problem with the rear carrier is the straps cant go on the top of the boot. But what if there was something above them to attach to?

Transit vans and the like have roof racks that have a roller at the back for pivoting ladders etc. The car has integral roof rails so could easily fit roof bars to it and I am thinking (in my non engineering head) that there must be some way of extending an extension bar of some sort from the roof bars back to be level with the top of the boot and so the bike carrier could be attached to?

Mind back when roofracks were a thing, the ones that you used to fit to your Cortina and they were a rack? Maybe something like that principle, attached to the roof bars but mounted in such a way that the back bar is over the boot and could be clipped onto?

Anyone got any ideas? Must be some engineering brains here!
 Bike carrier / roofrack clever ideas needed - Biggles
Fischer do a carrier where you load the bikes with the carrier at the side of the car then they are hinged onto the roof. Amazon link:
tinyurl.com/bpaxpfru
 Bike carrier / roofrack clever ideas needed - Runfer D'Hills
Rear mounted strap on bike racks are not safe. Proper roof mounted or tow bar mounted kit the only way to go. My 5’ 3” wife can easily load her full suspension mountain bike onto a roof mounted rack. It’s just technique.
 Bike carrier / roofrack clever ideas needed - tyrednemotional
...is it possible to carry them inside?

It depends of course on number of people and number of bikes (and whether the tailgate space is high enough - my X1 wasn't), but it is possible to get fork-holding racks which fit into the (lowered) back seats securing points.

Needs the front wheel off (not an issue with quick release).

I have a German system in my motorhome garage (which is just not high enough for the bikes without removing the front wheels anyway). It is excellent and cost-effective.

An ex-neighbour, who with his wife was an avid cyclist, saw it, and eventually bought a system for his Berlingo, and was most impressed.

The base mount is tailored to the application (car, motorhome, etc. and is usually non-destructive in fitting), and then fit fork holders.

For a 3008 it would be under €100 for the base, and €75 for each bike for a fork holder.

The particular firm (Radfazz.de) might not now ship to UK post-Brexit, but there are similar systems from other manufacturers around.
 Bike carrier / roofrack clever ideas needed - Boxsterboy
>> I have a German system in my motorhome garage (which is just not high enough
>> for the bikes without removing the front wheels anyway). It is excellent and cost-effective.
>>
>> An ex-neighbour, who with his wife was an avid cyclist, saw it, and eventually bought
>> a system for his Berlingo, and was most impressed.
>>

One of the main reasons I got a Berlingo was because I could get multiple bikes in the back WITHOUT removing any wheels.
 Bike carrier / roofrack clever ideas needed - tyrednemotional
...indeed you can, but he wanted something that would hold two very expensive eBikes securely, and keep them off each other and any other contents.

(The eBikes were the result of having a converted transit stolen in Scotland with two slightly less expensive conventional bikes inside. The van was recovered , the bikes not, but they were insured).
 Bike carrier / roofrack clever ideas needed - Boxsterboy
>> ...indeed you can, but he wanted something that would hold two very expensive eBikes securely,
>> and keep them off each other and any other contents.
>>

Oh, my bikes are totally secure and don't lean on other boot contents. They are parked in backwards with the front wheels in a proprietary bike wheel holder on the floor at the rear of the boot, and a bungee cord holding the bike seat-post against the front seat head-rest bars. Works very well, tensioning the rear wheels against the back of the front seats (although my bikes don't have mud-guards which I can see might complicate).
 Bike carrier / roofrack clever ideas needed - Zero

>> Wont get a towbar as they are a ridculous high price.

Maybe, but at the end of the day its the easiest, most convenient safest and correct option.
 Bike carrier / roofrack clever ideas needed - Fullchat
Agree with Zero on this.
 Bike carrier / roofrack clever ideas needed - CGNorwich
You can get a tow-bar fitted from about £400 which in the world of all things motoring really isn’t too bad.
 Bike carrier / roofrack clever ideas needed - Fullchat
Then there is the bike carrier to source on top of that. But it is the best way.
Latest Forum Posts