Motoring Discussion > Road Trip to Caernarfon Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 12

Road Trip to Caernarfon - zippy
I have a couple of short notice meetings in that area next week and some spare time in between. I'll write up my reports in the evening with a glass or wine or pint of larger depending on how the day went.

That way I'll get the afternoon off.

So things to do - the castle, Portmeirion. The railway up Snowdon is closed and I won't be walking it (my ankle is still dodgy). Anything else in the area worth doing (not the zip wires - want to do that with the family for the first time).

Also a good route from the Kent / Sussex boarder would be helpful. The SatNav will take me up via the M40, M6 and A55 - boring.

What's a good route to see some sights / drive through the hills/ mountains. I have 7 hours for the journey so a stop off in a nice town centre for lunch wouldn't go amiss.

Thanks
Z
 Road Trip to Caernarfon - CGNorwich
North Wales is closed in winter. Best stay inside and watch the rain.
 Road Trip to Caernarfon - Zero
>> North Wales is closed in winter.

He's right. Pubs in largish towns should be open tho , anything faintly touristy will be shut.
That's annoying, Mrs Z said she wanted to come along,
>> That's annoying, Mrs Z said she wanted to come along,

C Castle should be open.
M40, M6, M54 to Telford. A5 round Shrewsbury, few miles out then left onto B4396 becomes B4931 to Bala, A4212 out of Bala, Right onto A470, left onto A487 to Caernarfon.

Easy route to plot on sat nav and navigate, adds about an hour on your at satnav fastest journey route, Spectacular from Bala onwards. Bala for lunch would be good.

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 11 Nov 22 at 08:59
Thanks Zero
 Road Trip to Caernarfon - bathtub tom
Centre for alternative technology? I enjoyed a visit there.

cat.org.uk/
 Road Trip to Caernarfon - R.P.
Plenty to see in Caernarfon. Must head back there soon.

First of all I would suggest M40/M6 and M56 to the A55 - alternate (the one I usually do is M54 then head west for the A5 that will take you via Betws y Coed to Bangor passing this lovely cafe www.moelsiabodcafe.co.uk/ and then Caernarfon or via Capel Curig to Llanberis which will take you through Pen y Pass (foot of Snowdown), that will take you through some of the country's most stunning country, especially this autumn - incredible colours. Caernarfon has some excellent eateries (and a Spoons !) and if you're likely to stay in the town the Black Boy Inn would be my choice. Plenty of choice in Llanberis - which has a couple of cosy pubs.

Apart from the Castle (which is pretty impressive in itself) which has the Royal Welsh Museum there's an exhibit on my Great Great Great Grandmother Jenny Jones who followed the RWF to Waterloo. Segontium Roman fort has a small but comprehensive Museum. IIRC the site is one of the biggest Roman forts in the UK has not been fully excvated. Nearby Dinas Dinlle has a massive Hillfort that's just been excavated www.heneb.co.uk/newnews.html - nice little beach-side cafes, nearby (ex RAF) airfield has a superb small museum. This was the place that UK and German chemical weapons were stored prior to dumping them at sea. Nearby Glynllifon has a superb little shop adrahome.com. Not Chinese tat but locally made. Aother lovely cafe there.

Also based in Caernarfon is the Welsh Highland Railway in a brand new www.visitwales.com/attraction/train/welsh-highland-railway-518186

I used to volunteer at the Arts centre there, is mainy Welsh stuf fbut they have a decent cinema and world class non Welsh acts. Worth a visit in its own right.
Arts centre is
www.galericaernarfon.com/ - modern with two cinema screens.

If you end up on the A55 - I'm 5 minutes from junction 27. We have tea and coffee and occsionally home made cake, you're more than welcome to call
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 11 Nov 22 at 10:21
Thanks RP!
 Road Trip to Caernarfon - legacylad
Spectacular from Bala onwards. Bala for lunch would be good.

Used to windsurf on Bala, and walk in the Cader Idris area on occasional weekends decades ago. Beautiful scenery from memory...I should make the effort to return and walk in that area come 2023.
It hasn't changed much - may have a day trip to Bala soon. The lake railway is being extended into the town and is causing a bit of a commercial stir !
Latest Forum Posts