Motoring Discussion > Speeding fine Legal Questions
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 11

Speeding fine - legacylad
I’ve seen in my local rag online that an acquaintance has been fined a total of £440 after driving at 41 in a 30. Plus 4 points. Fine of 316, surcharge of 34 and prosecution costs of 90.

Obviously I’ve not spoken to him, but I didn’t realise speeding fines were so high for such an offence.
Maybe it’s because of existing points on the licence ?
 Speeding fine - tyrednemotional
...if it goes to court (for whatever reason) rather than an FPN, then it's (or can be) related to nominal weekly income.
I can’t understand why it went to court...and ( with respect to him) he’s not earning big bucks.

Doubtless I’ll get it from the horses mouth next week. Bet he got some ribbing in the pub.
 Speeding fine - Zero
>> I can’t understand why it went to court...and ( with respect to him) he’s not
>> earning big bucks.

Because at 41 in a 30 he was in a Band B offence. Band A is FPN, B is FPN or Court at choice of police, Band C is always court
 Speeding fine - CGNorwich
I believe the fine in Band B is 150% of your weekly earnings.
Thanks for the explanation chaps

Sobering to think 75, and maybe a bit more, in a 60 out in the styx, stretching the legs on a deserted road would cost in a fine
 Speeding fine - Bromptonaut
According to various on line sources Band B is 75-125% of weekly income.

That's the fine itself, £316 in this case. The victim surcharge and costs are on top.
 Speeding fine - FuzzyDuck
However the usual threshold for offering a fixed penalty is anything under 50 in a 30. In fact 41 in a 30 would normally see an offer of a speed awareness course (assuming previous one hadn't been done in the last 3 years and the offence wasn't in Scotland.

The Band A/B/C sentencing guidelines are if it goes to court, which for 41 it wouldn't normally.
 Speeding fine - Bromptonaut
>> The Band A/B/C sentencing guidelines are if it goes to court, which for 41 it
>> wouldn't normally.

The A/B/C guidelines for sentence reflect the seriousness of offending so they DO affect what happens when you're caught over the limit. 41 is the boundary between A & B.

The choice to refuse an FP in this case and go to court may reflect how/where 41 in 30 occurred.
 Speeding fine - bathtub tom
>> I’ve seen in my local rag online that an acquaintance has been fined

They still report that sort of stuff? Our local rags stopped it years ago and it's now nearly impossible to get hold of one. Local library used to get one, but that seems to have stopped. I refuse to pay £1.85 for a few sheets of mostly adverts and the online version doesn't include notices. It was by scanning the council notices i discovered their plans to impose a 20MPH restriction and put double yellows on the road where I lived. The closest school was half-a-mile away.
 Speeding fine - smokie
20 zones proposed around here now, not really related to proximity to schools. There is a local plan for improving cycle access, often by reducing road and junction widths considerably to allow for dedicated cycle lanes. Alongside which they are proposing reduced traffic speed as there will be less road for vehicles.

It's all part of the council's efforts towards green society, of which I am mostly supportive (but won't be starting cycling!!).

The problem with the cycle lanes we have is that the cyclists often don't use them.
 Speeding fine - bathtub tom
>> The problem with the cycle lanes we have is that the cyclists often don't use
>> them.

They much prefer the pavements (at least round here). I was surprised that relative, who cycles thousands of miles a year, looked askance at me when I flatly refused to cycle on the path.
Latest Forum Posts