Motoring Discussion > Golf 1.6 TDi Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 4

Golf 1.6 TDi - Robin O'Reliant
2014 Auto, 140K on sale for £3,800 in very clean condition from a decent local indie. I have next to no experience of automatics with a total mileage of about ten in mate's cars. Any banana skins I should look out for on this model and are the boxes reliable?
 Golf 1.6 TDi - Runfer D'Hills
Would have thought that might have a dsg gearbox. Can be troublesome I gather. But, if it has been well maintained, it may well be absolutely fine. Our little company fleet had a Golf and a Passat of that sort of era that both developed auto gearbox problems I’m afraid. Having said that, I’m sure they don’t all have those issues. Just something to watch out for and maybe get properly checked before making any decisions.
 Golf 1.6 TDi - maltrap
My 2012 Polo petrol automatic with a DSG gearbox has had no reliability problems just driveability ones, a diesel might be more suited to a DSG box. Also mine has only done 40000 miles. I much prefer TC auto's.
 Golf 1.6 TDi - Mr Moo
Received wisdom is that the 1.6 TDI is less durable than the 2.0 TDI and barely any more economical. Coupled with the patchy reputation of the DSG auto ‘box, it wouldn’t be a car that I’d purchase.
 Golf 1.6 TDi - Robin O'Reliant
>> Received wisdom is that the 1.6 TDI is less durable than the 2.0 TDI and
>> barely any more economical. Coupled with the patchy reputation of the DSG auto ‘box, it
>> wouldn’t be a car that I’d purchase.
>>

Did a bit of research today and quickly ruled it out because of the box.

Thanks anyway.
Latest Forum Posts