Motoring Discussion > Driverless Taxis Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 10

Driverless Taxis - CGNorwich
Take a ride around San Francisco in a driverless taxi www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63077437

The technology is reall advancing fast. A few years and we will see them on the streets of London.
 Driverless Taxis - Terry
They have been doing trials of driverless pods and driverless buses in Taunton where I live.

My guess would be 3-5 years and they will start to become a common sight.

In 10 years, it will be difficult to find a taxi with a living breathing driver behind the wheel.

Bus transition will take a bit longer only because the change will require investment in new expensive buses at ~£250k a pop.
 Driverless Taxis - Zero

>> A few years and we will see them on
>> the streets of London.

Not when its raining or south of the river.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 5 Oct 22 at 10:58
 Driverless Taxis - bathtub tom
We've got autonomous, robotic delivery vehicles here (the same as Milton Keynes). Although I tell the grandkids there's an elf inside, pedalling away.
www.starship.xyz/follow/
 Driverless Taxis - martin aston
What will become of road rage? Watching that clip, the taxi stops for pick up whenever there there is nothing immediately behind but blocks the road for any subsequent traffic. There is no point in tooting a robot……but people will.

Driverless Taxis - Terry
Angry motorist gets into argument with inanimate driverless vehicle - so what.

More likely the driverless vehicle will be programmed to be more considerate a driver than the average flesh and blood.

Driverless robot may also be able to carry shopping to the door, help disabled into the car, and like the Terminator, impervious to normal methods of assault.
 Driverless Taxis - Zero
>> Angry motorist gets into argument with inanimate driverless vehicle - so what.

Not going to happen. Just ram it off the road if it upsets you, I'd like to see the insurance company produce an accident claim from the robot or drag it into court to argue the merits of the claim. Has any autonomous vehicle maker argued liability in court yet?
 Driverless Taxis - zippy
>>Has any autonomous vehicle maker argued liability in court yet?
>>

No idea.

But the autonomous cars are bristling with cameras, lidar and other sensors which are being recorded so it might be possible to recreate the accident on video or black box type play out.
 Driverless Taxis - Lygonos
>>Just ram it off the road if it upsets you

Calm down dear, it's not a bus!
 Driverless Taxis - Zero
>> >>Just ram it off the road if it upsets you
>>
>> Calm down dear, it's not a bus!

The bus was an accident, you don't go for a big fat heavy target by choice.
 Driverless Taxis - Terry
The facts of any incident would be evident from the cameras and sensors fitted to the driverless vehicles. Ram it at your peril and with your no claims bonus at risk.

Apparently there have been 273 cases of self-driving (driver assist) Tesla being involved in accidents - any problems may have been settled out of court. I doubt Tesla were 100% innocent!
Latest Forum Posts