Motoring Discussion > Volvo - XC40 - Bored.
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 31

Volvo - XC40 - Bored. - R.P.
Had it almost 12 months, it's a B4 (2 litre mild hybrid) - in that time it's been totally reliable in the 7000 mies that it has covered. Off for its first service tomorrow and decision time has arrived....a fleet review. Mrs RP has a nice litte 2020 Mini Clubman (petrol and superb auto) - we may go down to one car or replace the Volvo with something "different". Already considered is a VW Camper but going off that idea.....the Volvo is a fine car with an excellent auto box, but I just find it boring....watch this space.
 Volvo - XC40 - Bored. - Zero
you need a beemer
Looking for a Touring with petrol ;-)
 Volvo - XC40 - Bored. - Pezzer
M340i ?
 Volvo - XC40 - Bored. - legacylad
Don’t get a Focus Active estate.
Boring personified.....try a Focus ST estate instead !
If I’d followed the advice of a mechanic friend I probably wouldn’t have the GR
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 13 Sep 22 at 20:16
 Volvo - XC40 - Bored. - Runfer D'Hills
I’m certain I’d love a 3 series Touring. Not quite big enough for me at the moment, but that may change.
I’d find it hard, I think anyway, to not have an estate now, I just seem to need one for all manner of reasons on a regular basis and I just don’t want an suv. My wife likes them of course because she’s a girl and they do don’t they?
 Volvo - XC40 - Bored. - Bobby
If I ever move on from my X1 SUV then a 3 series touring may be on the list.
But then I will remember that I hated the low down position of my Civic and that’s why I went back to SUV.

ZX Estate
Scenic
Scenic
Scenic
Altea
IX 35
Civic
X1

Think it’s fair to say I prefer sliding into a car rather than falling down into the seat and then clambering back out!
Even as the years inexorably advance, I can’t say I find getting in and out of a car any particular effort. That may change of course as body parts wear out. Driving an SUV feels like sitting on a bar stool to do it to me. My wife likes the sitty uppy thing but I just don’t. Even my dog agrees. He pukes when he’s transported in her car but he’s fine in mine. I’m sure he just doesn’t like the roly poly feeling of an SUV.
Either that or he’s a badge snob eh?
;-)
Oh and it suits me to have bikes on the roof of my car at least twice a week and getting them on and off is way easier on a “normal” height car than a tall one.

Horses and courses apply as per I suppose.
 Volvo - XC40 - Bored. - Dog
>> it suits me to have bikes on the roof of my car at least twice a week and getting them on and off is way easier on a “normal” height car than a tall one.

Washing the Ruth of my sittty-uppy is quite a stretch, and I'm 6ft tool!
That too.
It’s all pretty conclusive really.
;-)
The Beemer is quite low, and I am quite creaky, but somehow climbing in and out is not an issue even when its in the kerb* and you are on the pavement, there does not seem to be any "drop" into the seat. Getting out is just as easy. Must be down to seat placement in door frame or summink.

*The things you are supposed to avoid.
SUVs are a bit like flared trousers. People will look back at them in years to come and think “really?”
;-)
Unlike crocs, where people will look back in years to come and say "wow why did we have to wait so long for them"
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 16 Sep 22 at 09:31
I feel a bit sick. Excuse me… :-(
 Volvo - XC40 - Bored. - CGNorwich
You need to keep up with the cutting edge of fashion. From Vogue:

Moving forward, Thornley only wants to continue the momentum that Crocs has experienced in 2022. Fashion is fickle, but the ugly-chic shoe has been all the rage for years now. “Ugly-chic is subjective,” Thornley says. “We are who we are. I don’t think of us as a passing trend: We stand for comfort, versatility, and being expressive. And we can be stylish—we can be all those things at once.”
 Volvo - XC40 - Bored. - MD
I concur. Excellent ‘shoes’. I suppose children’s ‘jelly’ shoes were the first iteration.
Well, sold the Volvo via Motorway - A4 Avant 40 204 on order via Drive the Deal - ticked all the boxes - 7k off list. Have to wait until March.,,, oh well !
 Volvo - XC40 - Bored. - Bobby
Audi A4 estate, will that solve the “boring” problem??
I’d be more worried about identifying as an Audi driver!
Please tell us it’s not black?
Oh deary deary me, never thought I’d see the day etc… :-(

An Audi? Jeez whatever next? ;-)

>> An Audi? Jeez whatever next? ;-)

Its for those who are just not quite qualified for a BMW. Like those who buy knock off crocs down the garden centre.
And then there are the Merc drivers, who wear proper shoes… ;-)
>> And then there are the staid, old fashioned uncool Merc drivers, who wear proper shoes… ;-)

You missed a bit,
My Audi 80 Sport was black (B626 JNV)...Gti engine in a different body.
My Quattro (G plate) was also a fine motor.....I’ve not considered an Audi for years, but they supposedly have a lovely cabin ambience these days.
....it's Mythos Black.
Oh dear, at least I guess you’ll have plenty of time before it arrives to take a course in aggressive tailgating and general driving like a (fill in your own suitable description)
;-)
It said in one review that it was a most pleasant car to drive or ride in and that the writer couldn't understand why the drivers looked so angry.

Reasons to sell the Volvo.

For a small SUV it's quite large

Crappily noisy and unsubtle electric handbrake....the one on the V60 was very sublte. Volvo dealer "They're all like that"

Irrationaly the dealer tried to sell me a new rear wiper blade (£38.00) on a car that was less than a year old with 7k on the clock. ⏰ The wiper is fine.

The dealer tried to tell me that the four plastic "Volvo" hub cap centres were corroded due to "harsh chemicals" used during washing and were not a warranty item and they wanted to charge me £25.00 for new ones, I refused. The car has been washed by two dealers and me (once) I use my old BMW cleaning kit. Once they got a whiff of a negative feedback on a follow up call a set of four was put in the post as a "goodwill" measure. Give dealers a bad name. It's not the Anglesey one where I bought the car.

The car is fine really, it's just dynamically dull as ditchwater. I thoguht I'd arrived at the point in my life where a Volvo was the pinnacle of my motoring needs.

Hmmm, not entirely convinced you’ll cure any car boredom with an A4.
Wish I’d attended the same school of diplomacy as Runfer.

No offence intended to R.P.
>> Hmmm, not entirely convinced you’ll cure any car boredom with an A4.

Its named after a blank sheet of paper for a reason.
It could be the perfect car for a friend of mine....he spends innumerable hours maintaining his ‘96 A4 Tdi estate...it’s like Triggers Broom....he’s replaced headlining himself, patched seats, and spent far far more on the last replacement ( broken) engine than it’s worth.

He’s just sold one of his rental properties....a not inconsiderable amount. He asked me for investment advice...I’ve no idea...but I’d spend some of it. That A4 sounds like the perfect replacement , rather than the TIC Panamera ST I suggested.

I just know he’ll keep his 25 yo Audi.
 Volvo - XC40 - Bored. - Robin O'Reliant
The owner of my local indie has one of those, from around the same year. It has 425,000 on the clock and he reckons it has years left in it.
Latest Forum Posts