Motoring Discussion > New Battery Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 11

New Battery - Manatee
I reckon 8 years and they're about done. The first provocation after that, and they're done.

Just ordered one for the Roomie, which has been flat twice in the last 2 weeks, the first time after having been unused for two weeks. It was fully charged this Friday, used for 3 miles on Saturday morning, dedded today 48 hours later.

8 years and one month old. Right on cue.

I might order one for the MX-5 - too soon perhaps at 5 years, but it has been allowed to run low a few times and it's going to Austria in September if we are spared. It would be mighty inconvenient were it to conk out in France on a Sunday soir.

I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion fairly recently (Smokie?) and the wisdom was that £50 is cheap insurance when you know you'll need one before too long.
 New Battery - smokie
Yes, me, but mine was only 5 years or so old and (now, again, apparently!!) still going strong, so I'll try to squeeze another year out of it. If the car plays up again before then that's when I'll do it, though we aren't generally dependent on that car anyway.

In fact I'm all for getting rid of the car (and its costs) but SWMBO won't drive mine!

The previous (PHEV) car threw all kinds of errors on a low battery so the recommendation was to change it every five years whether or not it needed it.
 New Battery - Dog
>>SWMBO won't drive mine!

Too big? The car, not SWMBO :)
 New Battery - Terry
Unless you are planning to sell the car in the near future, it makes sense to swap the battery as soon as problems start.

The only certainty is that it will fail again leaving you stranded, late for something, cold and wet waiting for car rescue. RAC say battery problems are the main reason for callouts.

Replacement should give 5+ years of motoring untroubled by battery failure - cost £10-20pa. Less than 2L of fuel!
 New Battery - Timeonmyhands

>>
>> Replacement should give 5+ years of motoring untroubled by battery failure - cost £10-20pa. Less
>> than 2L of fuel!
Expensive fuel £5 -£10 a litre £1.99 round here.
 New Battery - Terry
Quite right - should have written gallons not litres. About the same as a large takeaway pizza.
Last edited by: Terry on Mon 25 Jul 22 at 19:39
 New Battery - henry k
>> The only certainty is that it will fail again leaving you stranded, late for something,
>> cold and wet waiting for car rescue.
>> RAC say battery problems are the main reason for callouts.
>>
I have a fat jump starter 12000MaH / 500A Lithium-Ion polymer n the boot so I hope that will sort things.
My battery is only two years old and gets put on a conditioner regularly so should be fine.

I have just had a call that relief is coming so I will be on the road Wed PM.
just need to decide where / what to do.
 New Battery - smokie
Yes Dog. Too big, and too young. The car, not SWMBO :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 25 Jul 22 at 19:03
 New Battery - Dog
Small is beautiful down here in godforsaken Cornwall. We went to view a property in the middle of nowhere (Middlewood) yesterday.

21 miles of mostly single track roads. The missus got a bit stressed with it all, sitting in the back with our dog.

She asked for a strong drink on our return - so I gave her a mug of my builders' tea.

:o}
 New Battery - Manatee
Two ordered. Varta Blue Dynamic. Less than £120 for the 2, delivered. One of those things that seems to have got cheaper in real terms. 60Ah for the Roomie and 45Ah for the MX-5.

Funny thing with batteries, and cars generally, is that they only ever break down when you use/want to use them. Most inconvenient.

New Battery - Rudedog
Not sure in your case but many newer cars now need the batteries to be coded to the car before they will give their best... a real PITA for the home mechanic.

New Battery - bathtub tom
Daughter needed to go to a hairdresser for her forthcoming nuptials. Car had a flat battery (worked out I hadn't used it for six weeks). She had to take the KIA Pride!
It got her there and back, but I don't think she's ever forgiven me.
Latest Forum Posts