Motoring Discussion > automatic call for a breathalyser after a crash ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 5

automatic call for a breathalyser after a crash ? - henry k
Driver ignored an automatic message so BiB arrived and the tested him.

www.ladbible.com/news/drink-driver-caught-red-handed-after-his-own-mercedes-called-999-20220619

RTFM ?

The help feature is for all cars soon.

group.mercedes-benz.com/innovation/case/shared-services/mercedes-benz-emergency-call.html
 automatic call for a breathalyser after a crash ? - Zero

>> The help feature is for all cars soon.
>>
>> group.mercedes-benz.com/innovation/case/shared-services/mercedes-benz-emergency-call.html

Soon? Mine is nearly 5 years old, and its a standard feature.
 automatic call for a breathalyser after a crash ? - Bromptonaut
>> Driver ignored an automatic message so BiB arrived and the tested him.
>>
>> www.ladbible.com/news/drink-driver-caught-red-handed-after-his-own-mercedes-called-999-20220619

Another account from a local paper here:

www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/engineer-drink-driving-mercedes-wallsend-24216836

Although it says he 'clipped the kerb' he did so with sufficient force to set the car's airbags off. That was sufficient for the car's internal safety system to call the emergency service. While in this instance he was in an urban setting and not badly hurt it's easy enough to see how both could be very different.

Even if it offered him an opportunity to cancel he was, at three times the DD limit, probably too fuddled to respond correctly or so slurred BiB had him rumbled.

Zero sympathy from me.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 20 Jun 22 at 14:58
 automatic call for a breathalyser after a crash ? - Crankcase
My Skoda has this, and the SOS module has a very occasional fault. The failure is known, I discover, and it's being sorted under warranty this week.

First time it failed I found it goes ping. Yellow light on dash. Then cruise fails. Then satnav fails. I expected it start singing "Daisy, Daisy" slower and slower.

Checked on the net when I got home. Wisdom said if it fails, just press the sos button in the roof, cancel the call it tries to make, all good until next time.

It failed. I pressed the sos button. In a voice you could hear a mile away at the top volume of the Canton speaker system with the subwoofer set to 11 it bellowed "Emergency call initiated!!!"

The two fuddy-duddies in the back were asleep. One had a heart attack there and then, the other lost her teeth into the back of my neck and Mrs C leapt out of the passenger window at 70mph.

It's a great system.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 20 Jun 22 at 15:32
 automatic call for a breathalyser after a crash ? - Zero

>> Zero sympathy from me.

Eggsactly. Everyone knows that if you have had a few, and you have a prang, you leg it and resurface 24 hours later.
 automatic call for a breathalyser after a crash ? - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>>
>> Eggsactly. Everyone knows that if you have had a few, and you have a prang,
>> you leg it and resurface 24 hours later.
>>

Claiming the cars been nicked.

A friend of mine did that back in the late nineties, stacked a car into a hedge while she was as jober as a sudge. When the old bill finally tracked her down she was told in no uncertain terms they didn't believe a word of it though they couldn't prove it, but to watch her step in future as she was odds on for a pull if they saw her again.
Latest Forum Posts