Motoring Discussion > What is the thing that costs the most? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 54

What is the thing that costs the most? - Bigtee
What do you think is the thing on our cars we spend on the most? Not buying the car but the likes of tyres, wheels etc.

My mates yound lad just spent nearly 1k on a sound system for his vxr Astra! Blow my socks off that will.

For me it's fuel & insurance the running costs are cheap enough.
 What is the thing that costs the most? - Zero
On mine, I spent 150 quid on the stereo, and 30 quid on the mats.
 What is the thing that costs the most? - BiggerBadderDave
I'm going to convert mine to PLG which will cost about £730

I'll have to shell out for winter tyres soon, maybe £300

£30 a month in fuel.

About £600 a year to insure fully comp
 What is the thing that costs the most? - -
>> I'm going to convert mine to PLG which will cost about £730
>>

I assume thats a typo BBD and your really going LPG and not changing it's taxation status..;)

That's very reasonable, would you care to expand on how you've got it so cheap please.
"I assume thats a typo BBD"

Jeez what a plonker. Yes I meant LPG but I was working very late last night.

I've had a few quotes ranging from about £500 to £850 (and £1300 in the UK). I've decided to go with the £730 because I've already done a few hundred miles in a Golf that they've converted and I was impressed. The switch-over was seamless, no kangarooing or backfiring, in fact no indication at all that you're on gas except for a quiet beep a few seconds after start-up. And I've seen plenty of bad conversions hopping and spluttering down the road.

It's mate's rates, the garage owner lives on the street and has looked after the Peugeot for the last couple of years so I trust him completely with the Lexus. In fact it's his Golf that I drive whenever he's working on mine. He's going to refurb the alloys at the same time for £100 and source the winter tyres. One of those "good to know" guys.
>> I've had a few quotes ranging from about £500 to £850 (and £1300 in the
>> UK).

Silly of me i forgot you're in Poland (ish), i was getting all excited then working out how i could persuade She Who Must that we need to keep the Benz (LPG'd) i haven't got round to advertising yet..;)

I don't blame you going for that deal.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 28 Sep 10 at 19:41
"working out how i could persuade She Who Must"

The way I see it is gas is 40% of unleaded here so I told the wife that for every £30 of fuel I put in, I'd be saving £40. And I could see her thinking £40 for shoes, £40 quid for dresses, £40 for make-up. Do I know women or what!
Do I know women or what!
>>

I have a feeling that She knows you better than you do..;)
 What is the thing that costs the most? - Bagpuss
On my M3 I spent 500 Euros on an iPod interface and 1,000 Euros having the wheels refurbished. I managed to kerb all 4 and new ones (magnesium alloy) were around 1,500 Euros each.
 What is the thing that costs the most? - Hugo
The single biggest expense on the van is servicing.

Although the biggest overall expenditure is diesel

The single biggest expense on the Discovery is probably the Hawkeye diagnostic kit. This reads and clears fault codes as well as does lots of other things. It's a fairly basic piece of kit but will save a fortune in maintenance. I'd like to get something similar for the Nissan Primastar (Renault Trafic)
 What is the thing that costs the most? - movilogo
I don't spend on accessories in car.

My biggest motoring expense is fuel.

What is the thing that costs the most? - Skoda
Delivered 30th April 2010 with 7 miles on the clock --

EDIT: Snaily's depreciation point --> ~£3,000 (via glasses guide)
Fuel - £1091.55
Insurance - £400
OEM type Integrated Bluetooth (that works with iPhone, factory one didn't back then) - £360
Cleaning & preserving products - £340
Proper VCDS Cable (dealer type coding & diagnostics) - £300
Factory iPod Retrofit - £260
GAP Insurance - £130
25 litre drum of oil - £100 (but shared with the other 2 motors)
Bits & Bobs (augmented toolkit, spare bulbs, cig-lighter torch, etc. etc.) - £55

Big future expenses:

4 x top notch tyres
Remap from Revo UK
Last edited by: Skoda on Tue 28 Sep 10 at 14:42
 What is the thing that costs the most? - BobbyG
Skoda, that is some spending - what made up the £340 cleaning & preservation?
>> what made up the £340 cleaning & preservation?

A DA polisher was the big buy, the rest was different shampoos, polishes, clays, sealants, snow foam lance & chemical, leather care & cleaners, trim protector... list goes on :-)

I enjoy doing it, i've been buying the expensive stuff just now, because if it ever came to a situation where i need to make money, any which way, i could envisage "detailing" would be one of my methods of generating income.

It's kinda like an insurance policy in some ways. Kinda like an excuse to indulge in others...
Skoda, impressive stuff, do you think the snow foam lance & chemicals are worthwhile?
Often fancied getting one of these but

a. I wouldn't want my driveway covered in the foam to sit about until it is rained away and
b. I could see my neighbours and mates queuing up to let me wash their cars!
>> do you think the snow foam lance & chemicals are worthwhile?

a. it's a pain
b. they sometimes stop for a good look, but it shoots about 20 ft and it completely coats their windscreen :-)

Not worth the money though and i wouldn't buy it again. It's about £50 for the lance and a gallon of the chemical delivered.

For the times when it's really really sodden with muck, nip down to the polish guys at Chapelhall for a £1 snow foam & rinse. Wish i'd thought it through before buying it, it got such a good name on the detailing forums, seemed like a must have.

For all the other times, just a rinse with the pressure washer achieves 90% of what snow foam does, with less faffing about.

I did try to use it as a midweek quick wash for a while but it doesn't get everything it really is just a pre-wash, and my car's never dirty enough to benefit from it.
Is that the place at the taxi joint? I always assumed that was just for taxis. What are their prices for a hand wash?
£4 inc. chamois drying & spray on wax at the end :-)
Might be tempted by that price..
 What is the thing that costs the most? - L'escargot
Depreciation.
 What is the thing that costs the most? - Marc
On my Vectra about £500 on a stainless steel exhaust - expensive but still £200 cheaper than a mild steel one from the main dealer.

Pattern parts from fastfit places aren't available on my car/engine.

Considering a hardtop for the MX5, that'll be £1k new or about £500 s/h.
Last edited by: Marc on Tue 28 Sep 10 at 15:12
 What is the thing that costs the most? - MD
What is sooo special about your Vectra then Marc?
"What is sooo special about your Vectra then Marc?"

Nothing really. It's a 2.0T petrol engine with a twin exit exhaust. At five years old, the rear boxes corroded badly and needed replacing. None of the fast fit places (independent or chain) could supply pattern parts (probably due to the relatively low numbers sold with that engine) IIRC Vauxhall wanted approx £250 per back box (OE mild steel)

Started looking around and chanced upon a full Magnex stainless steel cat back system as bankrupt (no warranty implied) stock for about £400 from a motorsport dealer. I got my local independent place to fit it for about £70. It's not a full on max power beancan job but it does make a pleasing note.

It's a hassle shopping round for insurance though as it has to be declared as a modification.

Would you like to see a pic Martin?
>> Would you like to see a pic Martin?
>>
Of course Marc.
Original were oval. These are circular but same size.

i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx262/eternalred5/Vectra2pipes.jpg
 What is the thing that costs the most? - Old Sock
Fuel.

All three cars have depreciated to nowt; rural location + age + driving record = low insurance; DIY servicing as and when I remember.
 What is the thing that costs the most? - Stuu
Petrol - the other expenses pale in comparison. Im spending £120-140 a month right now although trying very hard indeed to use the car less as I really cant afford the fuel at that money. Just about got it on target to spend £90 this month which is ok :-)
 What is the thing that costs the most? - Runfer D'Hills
Fuel, 40k miles a year in my car and 10k miles in my wife's at around 15p a mile each. Thank goodness someone else pays for the fuel in mine now.
New Wife?
 What is the thing that costs the most? - Iffy
Fuel and depreciation - if taken over five years.

At today's prices I'm spending about £1,700 a year on diesel, which is £8,500 over five years.

Forecasting the future value of the CC3 is harder, but I reckon it will depreciate by around the same amount in that five-year period.
 What is the thing that costs the most? - RattleandSmoke
Costs in order

1) Loan £128 a month
2) Insurance £75 a month
3) Fuel - £40-£60 a month
3) Servicing about £15-£20 a month
5) Tax £2.91 a month.

Wow over £271 a month just to have a car. Eeek! Until the loan is payed there is no chance of it coming down either.

That said I know plenty that spend more than that just in fuel.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Tue 28 Sep 10 at 16:25
1/ Finance = Nothing/ month
2/ Tax = 15 month
3/ Insurance = 30 month
4/ Servicing = 10 month
5/ Fuel = 90 month

£145 month ex depreciation.
 What is the thing that costs the most? - Crankcase
1/ Finance = 0
2/ Tax = £1.66 month
3/ Insurance = £21 month
4/ Servicing = £16 month
5/ Fuel = £90 month

Approx £128 per month total
 What is the thing that costs the most? - RattleandSmoke
You need to allow for depcreciation though, a car that costs £20 a year to tax must be quiet recent so unless it was given to you I assume you had to pay for that. That money has been sunk into the car :).
 What is the thing that costs the most? - Crankcase
True enough Rattle. However, the depreciation on this one is pretty much, in monetary terms, exactly what it would have been had I stuck with the previous one. As the previous one had running costs of £286 a month (still with no finance) as opposed to £128, I think I'm still some thousands better off over three years.

At least I keep telling myself that.

>> You need to allow for depcreciation though,

If I depreciate the entire cost of the car over the next 8 years = £48 month.
 What is the thing that costs the most? - Bagpuss
Company car:

Lease 800 Euros/ month
Insurance & Tax 60 Euros/ month
Diesel 350 Euros/ month
Servicing 60 Euros/ month

Average 4,000km/ month

Glad I don't pay it.
 What is the thing that costs the most? - Dog
Fuel, followed by servicing + 4 new boots earlier this year.
I will tell you tomorrow when the Van goes on the real diagnostic stuff.
>> I will tell you tomorrow when the Van goes on the real diagnostic stuff.
>>

Finger nails being chewed here matey, best of British.
 What is the thing that costs the most? - Dog
>>I will tell you tomorrow when the Van goes on the real diagnostic stuff.<<

And, when you get the bill, you'll need a drop of the hard stuff!
Big Prob, Nah! dat's nuffink. What is a BIG problem is that for years every body has said that I carry too much stuff in the thing and I told them not to be silly and to join the Foreign Office, politely of course. Now however I have to clear it out and I mean clear. Well, whisper quiet of course, but they were right. I knew it somewhat, but didn't want to admit. Now I am trying (or in fact have given up for the night) to move all of this stuff into the already overburdened Garage. 3 1/2 pairs of safety specs. 3 pairs earmuffs. 2 complete sets of razor sharp SDS chisels and points for masonry. 3 claw hammers. 2 shovels. Screws enough and various to start a brothel!. 1 generator. 2 compressors. 3 air lines. 2-3000 pins for the 2 air nailers. 22 bungee straps. 2 brand new diamond blades for the Stihl concrete saw. Unleaded. 2 stroke. Mixed 2 stroke. Mixed screen wash. Torx sets x 2. Copper pipe. Tile trim. Angle bead, Fluffy toy. Roller towel (blue) obviously nicked from somewhere in my youth (That'll come in handy one day if you never use it!!) Tow rope. Industrial jump leads. Bow saw. 2 new spare blades. 4 battery drills/screwdrivers. 6 extension leads, one of them 110v not used in 13 years. Electric kettle (2 leads) gas burner and spare canister. STOP. Fingers hurting, but this is just the tip of the iceberg. In my defence I virtually never failed to find something to cure or get over a problem. Trouble is I have never been paid enough to offer that facility. This is going to teach me a lesson (if I ever get to sort it out) and to limit what I carry......................................Promise. GOD I love that van!!

Best................MD
So thats where it went, I was looking for that for ages.
Remember when some blighter put it back in the machine so tight you couldn't get your hands around it properly to dry them?
 What is the thing that costs the most? - Londoner
1/ Finance = Nothing/ month
2/ Tax = 15 month
3/ Insurance = 44 month
4/ Tyres & Servicing = 152 month (The blighter has been troublesome this year)
5/ Fuel = 148 month

Total 359 per month......not worth it. Must get a cheaper car next time.
Last edited by: Londoner on Tue 28 Sep 10 at 22:47
 What is the thing that costs the most? - Fenlander
New C5 (per mth):

Lease £290 (effectively equates to the depreciation if I owned it)
Tax - Inc
Insurance - £20
Service & Tyres - £22
Fuel - £123

£455 total.

3yr old C3(per mth)

Depreciation - £100
Tax - £2
Insurance - £20
Service, MOT & Tyres - £15
Fuel - £95

£232 total.

If you ignore depreciation as some have the C5 is a real bargain at £165 and the C3 a reasonable £132.
I like the new C5. It's a really attractive car. Also, competitively priced by your figures.

Can't live with a saloon or estate, though. Shame there is no hatchback option like there was in the previous version.
I would have liked the chance to decide hatch vs estate so was a bit miffed they went for a saloon. However to my mind the tourer is a very attractive car and there are no other downsides to the estate version.
>> However to my mind the tourer is a very
>> attractive car and there are no other downsides to the estate version.
>>
Absolutely right. What looks good is down to personal taste, and your opinion is just as important as anyone elses.

Don't mind me - I hate ALL estate cars. (I am not picking on the C5) I can't look at them without thinking "hearse".

It's very frustrating how so many manufacturers have dropped the hatchback option over the years, forcing you to pay a hefty premium for an estate car if you need more practicality than a saloon offers. e.g. Citroen C5, Honda Accord, Toyota Avensis, BMW 3 series compact.
>>>I hate ALL estate cars. (I am not picking on the C5) I can't look at them without thinking "hearse".

Ha I bet the marketing men would like you shut in a room for the day to re-align your thoughts until you realised an estate car would allow you to collect those rare reclaimed building materials to restore your period property, rush off at a moments notice to the west coast of scotland with a fast inflatable packed away before shooting round to idyllic deserted beaches for a sunset BBQ, bring home that bargain 17th century grandfather clock snapped up at a local auction.....

You get all of this and more with an estate car.

:-)
That's just the thing, Fenlander.
I actually DO drive an estate car!
Despite this (or maybe because of it) I STILL hate them!
 What is the thing that costs the most? - L'escargot
>> If you ignore depreciation as some have the C5 is a real bargain at £165 ............

It won't fit in our garage so that rules it out.
 What is the thing that costs the most? - Alastairw
Bet MDs van has one of those 'No tools are left in this vehicle overnight' stickers on it - at least it is accurate now.
>> Bet MDs van has one of those 'No tools are left in this vehicle overnight'
>> stickers on it - at least it is accurate now.
>>
Good one - made me laugh out loud!
I 'ate you Butler (Stephen Lewis) On the Buses.

I 'ate you two too!

Made me laugh as well.

Go the tech and laugh louder.

All the best.........MD
Latest Forum Posts