Motoring Discussion > Semi conductor shortage Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 13

Semi conductor shortage - legacylad
Seems to be ongoing with a certain optional extra not currently available on a potential new build vehicle I was interested in.
The Technology Pack on a 128ti before you ask...
 Semi conductor shortage - Zero

>> a 128ti before you ask...

Oh dear
How sad
Never mind
:-)
 Semi conductor shortage - Manatee
A Fiat, that's an original choice I thought.

BMW? Nice car no doubt but why does it have to look as if it was styled by a car-mad 12 year old lad? Or possibly Donald Trump? That would put me off. Although the new grille that BMW has adopted rules out most of the range for me. From kidneys to buttocks on the front of a car is not progress.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws8LEPPNo28

Don't take style guidance from me, I'm not in the target market for one of those:)

Semi conductor shortage - Runfer D'Hills
FWD too.
Well that’s just preposterous too isn’t it.
;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Wed 8 Jun 22 at 12:37
 Semi conductor shortage - VxFan
>> FWD too.

I bet the indicators are still optional extras though.
 Semi conductor shortage - Manatee
I thought the 1 series was RWD? Is it a MINI?
 Semi conductor shortage - Runfer D'Hills
New ones are FWD. I mean, it’s not the only outrageous thing to have happened in recent times, but it’s kind of up there.
>> BMW? Nice car no doubt but why does it have to look as if it
>> was styled by a car-mad 12 year old lad?

That’s about right.....

Fortunately all the hideous looking decals and red coloured bits, even the larger roof spoiler, can be deleted. In Misano Blue with black wheels and grill it looks ok. Definitely not a looker by any means but very few are in my eyes....although my recent 208 GT hire car was a nice looking car, and off the top of my head I can’t think of any mid sized 5 door hatches that look good apart from the Hyundai i30N Fastback. Which isn’t available with a sunroof.
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 9 Jun 22 at 08:29
 Semi conductor shortage - Zero
The sun roof is not required, the 120i is not a car that is going to excite you any more than henry*, your money is better going onto the i30n

*its basically a mini. You are much better off going for a mini clubman (cooper s if required) where the FWD is better sorted.
The sun roof is not required, the 120i is not a car that is going
>> to excite you any more than henry*, your money is better going onto the i30n

Sunroof is required. As are several other options.
I’m too old to compromise, whether it’s cars or beer.
I never mentioned an i20. In any guise. It’s pig ugly. Unlike the i30N Fastback which I’m sure you’d agree is quite pleasing on the eye.
Far more so than a 1 series
 Semi conductor shortage - Bobby
Do Minis still have that round Centre console thing with a rectangular media screen in the middle of it? Looked absolutely awful.
My X1 is the same underpinnings as the Countryman I think? I just can’t stand the Mini dash layouts.
 Semi conductor shortage - Kevin
60% of the world's semiconductor fab capacity is in Taiwan. A Chinese state economist recently said that if China is ever subject to sanctions like Russia they should invade Taiwan immediately to secure the chip facilities.

They might be a bit late though because last year a US defence paper advised Taiwan to install 'measures' to destroy their fabs in the event of an invasion.

(Last week Taiwan banned the sale to Russia of any semiconductors over 25MHz)
Last edited by: Kevin on Wed 8 Jun 22 at 15:04
 Semi conductor shortage - zippy
China wants to purchase a Welsh chip fab plant.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-61585926

Some of our tech really ought to be our own.
Latest Forum Posts