Motoring Discussion > Wise words from a 17 year old. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hugo Replies: 9

Wise words from a 17 year old. - Hugo
Whilst giving my daughter a lift to 6th form college this morning, she made a very relevent observation.

We drove past a number of small cars by the side of the road that were advertised for sale

"You can tell all the students who are off to uni and can't afford their cars anymore."

She was hoping to buy a cheap car and run it. Recently she started to realises with her going off to uni next year it's totally pointless, she'll only have to sell it because she won't be able to afford the insurance.

For a long time I've been trying to advocate her just passing her test so she can drive, then sitting on her full license until she needs it, especially if it makes it easier for her to get casual work.
 Wise words from a 17 year old. - Robin O'Reliant
The other advantage of sitting on a new licence for a couple of years is to get through that six points and out phase that has brought many a new driver to their knees.
 Wise words from a 17 year old. - Hugo
One thing that we've noticed about our daughter is that she wants to earn money. She likes the nice things in life so she's happy to go out and earn the money to pay for them.

She was saving up for a car but realised that the costs etc at her age far outweigh the benefits (especially if mum and dad can take her places).

One anicdote is that she lost her part time job at a restaraunt - she responded to that by updating her CV and handing out about 20 copies to various shops, takeaways etc.

She got a phone call a day later from one takeaway (they do REALLY nice fish and chips!). They put her on a trial for an hour then offered her the job. She also got a call from another shop asking if she was available a week later!

She's already quite resourceful in looking for work. Having a full license will in time make her more adaptable. Even if she doesn't have a car - she can work in jobs that require her to drive.

As a student, having a driving license was as useful in its own right as having a car. Even if I didn't have a car a full license opened up a whole raft of casual jobs for me in delivery driving and employment in the motor trade.
 Wise words from a 17 year old. - Fenlander
It's our plan that our eldest teen should be driving when our diesel C3, bought last Dec, will be 6yrs old and we'll pass that onto her.... but only, as you say above Hugo, if she stands a chance of affording the running costs. She's very bright but now at the year 11 GCSE stage is wondering if she might get into the job market early after A-levels rather than go to uni as we'd obviously wish. We'll see.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 28 Sep 10 at 11:19
 Wise words from a 17 year old. - Victorbox
Hopefully my son will be off to university next year - definitely without a car, but insured as a named driver on his mum's policy with Direct Line. When he needs his own car at 21 barring a mishap he will have effectively 4 years "no claims discount" - only valid with Direct Line and not quite the same as real NCD, but at least it's a valuable discount.
 Wise words from a 17 year old. - Bromptonaut
We also came to the conclusion that a car for daughter was not worthwhile. She's a named driver on my Xantia estate and uses it mostly on family business (eg places we'd otherwise have to run her to).

By the time she's out of Uni she'll be 21 and, although without NCB likley to be eleigible for other starter discounts.
 Wise words from a 17 year old. - Bigtee
Hugo, Quite right there but when she comes home instead of driving her about stick her on your insurance and let her do it or have a 2nd cheap car to do the same that way she will gain experiance and have indipendance of her own.
 Wise words from a 17 year old. - bathtub tom
Both my children were given driving lessons as a birthday present at 17 until they passed, or until we cried enough - they both quickly passed.

We then went half shares on all costs on a car each. I did repairs and servicing at dad's rates and I learnt an awful lot about Estelles!

Their cars were sold when they went to uni. I bought an old 750cc Panda as a second car with them insured as named drivers. If they didn't want to drive it they could use a bus.
 Wise words from a 17 year old. - FotheringtonTomas
Just having had a driving *licence* for a year or two will reduce her insurance when she needs it.
 Wise words from a 17 year old. - madf
Paid for sons' driving lessons.

Then they were on their own.. and insurance costs advised before they bought naything.

Both delayed buying for 3 years, borrowing mother's car - and not crashing it.

Kept driving skills and saved money.. Insuarnce at 21 is cheaper than at 18...
Latest Forum Posts