Motoring Discussion > A66 lunch stop Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 16

A66 lunch stop - Bobby
Heading down to Yorkshire for a weeks holiday on Friday. Taking the dog and the in laws so having to use a roofbox for the first time. Not saying who is going in it though…..

Anyway, I digress, we will be M74 /M6/ A66.

Are there any suggestions for dog friendly eating places near the start of the A66? I know there is Mainsgill Farm towards the end but that is only half an hour or so from our destination so would prefer somewhere near the beginning or around M6/A66 junction?

Somewhere I can let the dog exercise and the in-laws can get a coffee and sandwich or cake/scone or whatever 80 year olds eat for their lunch??
 A66 lunch stop - legacylad
Friends of mine live just off the A66 near Penrith. Want me to ask ?

I’m familiar with Appleby. Some decent places there...
 A66 lunch stop - tyrednemotional
>> Friends of mine live just off the A66 near Penrith. Want me to ask ?
>>

...what's their lunch menu?

>> I'm familiar with Appleby. Some decent places there...

...baked hedgehog will be on the menu shortly....

Don’t get me started on that aspect of Appleby...
 A66 lunch stop - Bobby
Yes please!
 A66 lunch stop - T junction
rheged.com Only about a mile from your route but don't know what facilities they have for the dog.
Bobby.
My genteel lady friend has now offered suggestions....”M74 Cairns Lodge Services is I think Farm shop run by Westmorland Services which is a cut above. G Green Blacksmiths large set up is very OAP. Rheged one roundabout along A66. ( previously mentioned). Slightly longer diversion is Lowther Castle, prob 15 mins from Jtn 40 down A6. Totally fab”.

Knowing her taste in the finer things I wouldn’t hesitate in a slight diversion to the latter, but DYOR.

Hope that helps
 A66 lunch stop - Manatee

>> is Lowther Castle, prob 15 mins from Jtn 40 down A6. Totally fab”.
>>

And were I on holiday, rather than just getting there, I'd continue my journey via the dales and abjure Route 66. But I am well known for needlessly meandering routes.
 A66 lunch stop - Kevin
>But I am well known for needlessly meandering routes.

You sound like my late uncle Trevor and his "shortcuts".
 A66 lunch stop - Manatee

>> You sound like my late uncle Trevor and his "shortcuts".

I have those too.
 A66 lunch stop - Bobby
Cheers LL.

Is your lady friend good with geography?

That first services is about 20 mins from me and about an hour from the A66!! :)

>> Is your lady friend good with geography?

Haha. No idea...she’s well travelled in a global sense....given that she drives long distances on both her motorbike and in her latest S3 she probably thinks nothing of any extra hour.

Or in her case about 40 minutes !
 A66 lunch stop - Zero
>> Cheers LL.
>>
>> Is your lady friend good with geography?

I used to go out with a girl who was a cartographer for the AA. Couldnt find her way to the Bus stop, let alone navigate.
 A66 lunch stop - Aretas
I go with legacylad. M74 Cairns Lodge Services are a tiny bit out your way, but a lovely place for a break.
 A66 lunch stop - T junction
Cairn Lodge, Reged, Tebay Services and Gloucester Services (bit out of your way on this trip) all the same group. www.westmorlandfamily.com/our-vision/businesses
I’d go to Lowther Castle, but depends on where Bobby et al are staying in Yorkshire and ‘older’ folks often like to arrive at their destination early and settle in.

Whereas I roll up late after exploring en route and go directly to the local pub...researched beforehand and hopefully giving Camra discount.
:-(
 A66 lunch stop - Bobby
Well after all the above, we ended up going to…. McDonalds in Penrith!!!

I looked at the map and saw there was Penrith Castle which would be a good wee exercise for the dog. Said to the 84 year old in-laws- they would love to go to McDonalds, Last time they were there was years ago on holiday in America.

So we stopped off there and they loved it. Rest of holiday will probably be an anti climax for them now!!

On the doggy note, the ruins of the castle allowed doggy and I to play lots of games of hide n seek. He loved it!
Latest Forum Posts