Motoring Discussion > Any chance of getting off Legal Questions
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 12

Any chance of getting off - wotspur
Anyone who drive in and around London knows there are plenty of roads , which for little reason have signage preventing vehicle access . Now I understand that many school areas have it between pick up and collection times, often stupidly placed in the roads , not prior to entering those roads , especially around Ealing and Hounslow
Yesterday I drove up the A316 from Sunbury to Hammersmith , and on the way back just prior to Chiswick bridge there’s a left turn down to the rowing clubs and the river . It’s a nice place to relax and take time out .
When I came out out of that road I followed my Sat Nav to Ealing and went straight ahead , and after 100 yards there is One sign saying No vehicle access , but I assumed As it was outside school hours and no point stopping once you’ve gone past it I thought I’d be ok .
After visiting a client in Ealing I had plenty of time to return to the river road and check out the signage .
On the A316:, in both directions there is signage saying no vehicle access into this road beyond 100 yards . But from the river road there is no such signage , might I get an appeal accepted
 Any chance of getting off - Zero
Think this is your third attempt to get off because you haven't read ruddy road signs. (and it seems to run in the family)

What you going to blame on this time?

Last edited by: Zero on Sat 21 May 22 at 19:55
 Any chance of getting off - Manatee
Perhaps the common factor isn't just wotspur but also driving in unfamiliar city areas with lots of local restrictions. I've been done in Oxford myself while trying to deal with it all with my head swivelling like an owl's trying not to miss any restrictions.

What really upsets people is being done for these things when they are trying their best to comply. It's easier to shrug it off if you were knowingly trying to get away with something.
 Any chance of getting off - Zero
I drive in lots of unfamiliar areas, lots of us do. Most of us take a little extra care because of that (specially when we seem to have a careless propensity for missing things) , and yes sometimes we make mistakes, own up to it and carry the fine.

Some of us however, do it lots of times, and all the time seek escape the consequences of such actions EVERY time.

Frankly such lack of self responsibility and selfishness annoys me immensely. I could have laid money on this event happening again, and no doubt will in the future under similar circumstances.
 Any chance of getting off - Bromptonaut
This junction by any chance?

goo.gl/maps/9L5GSXdznkfLExMW7

If you move around in the image it looks as though, between 2018 and 21, no entry signs appeared.

I wonder if, subsequently, the Council have decided to allow cyclists. For some reason, although No Entry signs with an 'except buses' qualifier have been around for decades, except cycles is regarded as too difficult to understand. The No Motor Vehicles sign is used instead.

You're probably OK as it's unlikely to have the cameras required for enforcement.
 Any chance of getting off - zippy
Re Kew Green Rd. The no entry signs are back from the junction and there is a single white line on the road suggesting that one can enter up to at least the no entry signs and then turn around.

There is a temporary no entry sign approaching the junction but it is very low to the ground and very easy to miss.

Very confusing signage IMHO.
 Any chance of getting off - zippy
Missed the edit...

I was in a non-car friendly city about a month ago and accidently turned in to a one way road and right in to a bus lane! DOH. A quick U Turn and I was going back the same way, but the local drivers didn't help by filling up the space that I was trying to turn in to.

The junction was bristling with CCTV so I was expecting an offer of 3 points and a fine and a bus lane ticket on top but after a month nothing has come through so I am hoping I have dodged this.

There was only one no-entry sign and it was easily missed as the vehicle in front could have obscured it. There were two roads to the left and the no left turn sign was before the first road so very confusing. If a fine came through, I may have challenged it due to unclear signage.
 Any chance of getting off - Duncan
Or is it this junction?

tinyurl.com/33t68kc6
Yup that’s the lane I was parked down , and when I came out , Left and right was 5e A316:, straight over is where I went . On the A316:there are warning signs , but Not from the road I was exiting , which should be illegal .
No that’s after Kew Gardens , I gave the wrong bridge it’s the first turning on the left After Twickenham Bridge , into Harrington Road .
As mentioned there are signs on the A316 , just not in the road that I came from .
Zero is so holier than than anyone else ,come to London ,every week they change the speed limits , and shut off roads that have been opened for decades , including the ve highlighted here .
I have often turned off a main road in to a small road , and there are signs saying no access during school times l What I can’t understand is Why this road allows no access , it certainly used to , as my son used to play at least one game a year in a Sunday football
 Any chance of getting off - Bromptonaut
>> Why this road allows no access , it certainly used to , as my son
>> used to play at least one game a year in a Sunday football

Because the Council have changed the rules. They're allowed to do that to deal with changing circumstances.

Up to age 9 I lived on a development from 1959/60. No parking restrictions whatever. Later they built a Catholic Teacher Training College behind. The students either lived on site or bussed in.

Thirty years later lots of the students had their own cars. Not enough space around the college and they were parking on the estate.

Now it's residents only (permit needed) from 10:00 to 15:00 Mo-Fri.

Another change is the need to stop roads being used as 'rat runs' or just to return to locals the space for kids, pedestrians and cyclists to use the roads they live on.
 Any chance of getting off - Duncan
>> No that’s after Kew Gardens , I gave the wrong bridge it’s the first turning
>> on the left After Twickenham Bridge , into Harrington Road .
>> As mentioned there are signs on the A316 , just not in the road that
>> I came from .

Is this it? Because that's Chiswick Bridge.

tinyurl.com/mr3f9wyf
Read what I wrote and then you’ll get off your high horse .
I got my son off 2 of the 3 fines in reading .
If at a junction there are only signs saying no entry , but on the road I was on , it wasn’t notified ,surely that is not legal .
Latest Forum Posts