Motoring Discussion > Two close calls Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 27

Two close calls - Bobby
Last Sunday I went out a ride on my pedal bike.

Not sure if it is UK wide but up here in Scotland there has been a huge campaign by Police around leaving plenty of space for cyclists. Police have had some high profile presence on roads pulling drivers who don’t give space to their copper on his bike.

I had two incidents within 5 mins of each other.
1. A BMW decided to overtake a car coming in the other direction which resulted in me having to hug the kerb as the two passed side by side to my right.
2. A VW van decided it had to pass me before the oncoming car passed, resulting in him passing me within touching distance.

It is 5 years to the month since I got knocked off my bike by a car driver at a roundabout.

I still have the same GoPro on my handlebars as I did then and both incidents were caught on camera. I contacted Police Scotland about the incidents and they gave me an email address to forward the clips to. Police called back today, officers will come out on Sunday to take statement but at the very least, based on the video evidence, they are proposing to charge both drivers with careless driving. The VW driver may actually get charged with reckless driving if they deem it appropriate.
I told them that I was more thinking that the drivers would get a warning (as the police tweets state they do at the roadside) as opposed to being charged but was advised that this is very high focus and the dangers justify the charges.

Hope I don’t end up having to go to court!
 Two close calls - bathtub tom
Good for you. I cycle, but much less now.

>> A VW van decided it had to pass me before the oncoming car passed, resulting in him
>> passing me within touching distance

A similar sort of thing happened to me and I thumped the side of the van with my hand, resulting in the van swerving to its right. I just hope I gave the driver a wake-up call.
 Two close calls - legacylad
Personally I think they should be charged.

In the past several years visiting the C Blanca, its obvious that cyclists are given far more respect as road users. Probably because the pro teams, and serious amateurs are here in force during the winter months. Even today I saw several groups of cyclists, probably bunches of 10/12, with long queues of traffic behind them.

It is what it is. The locals probably accept it...the roads are billiard smooth, it’s good for the economy, and you learn to avoid mountain roads at the weekend where overtaking opportunities are far fewer.
 Two close calls - Bobby
Ironically, out Cycling I definitely feel that the campaign has had an effect. See many more cars passing on the opposite side of road rather than just a few feet away. And notice cars are definitely holding back waiting for suitable space rather than just squeezing past.

But not the above two numpties.
 Two close calls - smokie
Although I have some sympathy I still occasionally see clumps of cyclists who I feel could make a little more effort to allow people to pass safely. It's not something that bothers me that much but these things should work both ways.

But now they are officially "entitled" I doubt that'll happen.

The police and council are running similar high profile campaigns in this area.
What does annoy me are cycling events on the road. Why can't they use closed circuits, motor sports do?
 Two close calls - Bromptonaut
>> What does annoy me are cycling events on the road. Why can't they use closed
>> circuits, motor sports do?

If you mean competitive rides with a winner that feels like an apples/bananas comparison.

Is it time trialling you object to or events on largely closed roads?
 Two close calls - sooty123
Are there many cycling events on public roads? We don't get many mamil types here.
>> Are there many cycling events on public roads? We don't get many mamil types here.

We get MAMILs round here but if not alone then they're in pairs or small groups. Club or social outings not public events.
 Two close calls - Fullchat
In April roads were closed in the East Riding for a rally. This is the first time in Yorkshire and has come about as a result of legislation allowing local authorities to close roads and suspend road traffic laws. It may signify an increase in all manner of closed road events.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGM-iQHf0MQ&t=32s
 Two close calls - smokie
Today - driving along a normal country road, quite wide enough for 2+ vehicles. Van parked on my side, group of 4 cyclists coming at me two abreast. So I had to come to a complete stop. They could have easily gone single file to save me stopping completely while they tootled past, chatting away to each other.

I realise that it's their right of way, which is why I stopped. But consideration for others, or even an acknowledgement of my consideration would have been appreciated. I wonder what they're like when they are driving?
>> Today - driving along a normal country road, quite wide enough for 2+ vehicles. Van
>> parked on my side, group of 4 cyclists coming at me two abreast. So I
>> had to come to a complete stop. They could have easily gone single file to
>> save me stopping completely while they tootled past, chatting away to each other.

I there really room for that and a respectable space between them and your offside?

Going single file requires a degree of understanding and cooperation in even a mini-peloton; touch wheels and it's a violent off. They don't know the driver coming the other way is going to be the reasonable Smokey.

Single up and entitled Chump then squeezes by without slacking from cruise speed.
 Two close calls - Fullchat
Well I might as well have my cyclist rant for the day.

Travelling along a single track road quite slowly due to the amount of walkers. Confronted with cyclist coming towards me at quite a lick downhill.
As a motorcyclist I appreciate its me on 4 wheels that going to take to the verge as 2 wheels cant handle verges, pot holes or gravel at the edge of the road.
Issue was that it was not an appropriate place to actually commit to the verge.
Cyclist still barelling in with no reduction in speed. As I saw a suitable spot I'm moving off the road but this doesn't seem to be quick enough and he then commits to a lot of arm gesticulation and shouting. Pratt!!
I'm all for encouraging more consideration, which I always give, but there's a sense of arrogance and entitlement which is getting worse.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 14 May 22 at 16:49
>> Single up and entitled Chump then squeezes by without slacking from cruise speed.

In this case, smokie was the one that seems to have 'singled up' and slacked from their cruise speed to stationary!
 Two close calls - Biggles
If they had been in single file, 1 m from the edge, could you have passed the car while keeping a 1.5 m distance between your car and the cyclist?
 Two close calls - smokie
Probably not but at least 50% of motorists would have acknowledged your existence.
 Two close calls - Lygonos
My cottage in the Borders sits right on National Cycle Route 1 in onenof its rural stretches so a fair number of cyclists go past the front door.

Invariably any small groups are engrossed in conversation as they roll by.... about cycling!

What tedious cliques they must be.
They must cycle close to your front door.
 Two close calls - Manatee
>> Van
>> parked on my side, group of 4 cyclists coming at me two abreast. So I
>> had to come to a complete stop. They could have easily gone single file to
>> save me stopping completely while they tootled past, chatting away to each other.

So the van was parked on your side, and you wanted to use the other side of the road to overtake?

No case to answer there.
 Two close calls - smokie
Technically correct, but in the car I'd have squeezed over if I thought someone else might be able to get through. Maybe I'm old fashioned.
>> Technically correct, but in the car I'd have squeezed over if I thought someone else
>> might be able to get through. Maybe I'm old fashioned.

As Fullchat said further up two wheels don't fare well on verges or the crumbling shoulder of a paved carriageway. There's also a risk of squeezing turning to squashed.

Even riding solo I might be tempted to take primary, i.e. around where the mid line of a car would be, if I think a vehicle coming the other way is going to do a dodgy overtake of a parked van.
 Two close calls - smokie
I'm not sure passing a parked van is an overtake, or is dodgy.

I wasn't overly bothered about the episode and only mentioned it as it happened the day the thread started. It was 50/50 whether they should have done anything, though I could easily (and probably quite safely) have accelerated a little and been through and gone before they arrived at the pinch point - i.e. I held back probably when I needn't have and gave them plenty of space, like my training and the law says I should. A minor acknowledgment that I had done so wouldn't have gone amiss, like car drivers often do when you hold back for them to pass even though it might be their right of way.

Anyway when I mentioned it here I had no intent on making any fuss about, nor do I now, so no more responses from me on it!! :-)
 Two close calls - Boxsterboy
>> What does annoy me are cycling events on the road. Why can't they use closed
>> circuits, motor sports do?
>>

I suspect that the difference is that motor sports on the road would be incredibly dangerous. Cycling events are not.
> I suspect that the difference is that motor sports on the road would be incredibly
>> dangerous. Cycling events are not.
>>

Still carried out though.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGM-iQHf0MQ&t=32s
 Two close calls - Robin O'Reliant
>> >
>> >>
>>
>> Still carried out though.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGM-iQHf0MQ&t=32s
>>

But on fully closed roads.

I can't understand why people get upset about being held up by slower vehicles from time to time, it is just a fact of motoring you have to accept.
 Two close calls - CGNorwich
I agree. I often wonder why their time is do valuable that a 30 second delay incurred waiting to overtake a bike is something of such great concern. In the great scheme of things it just doesn’t matter. All serious delays on the road are caused by the sheer volume of other motor vehicles.
But on fully closed roads.
>>

Yes of course, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

>> I can't understand why people get upset about being held up by slower vehicles from
>> time to time, it is just a fact of motoring you have to accept.
>>

I think it's a control and frustration thing. Also a tribal element amongst road users, it's just human nature. Probably other issues specific to the UK, few mways, lots more traffic pro rata etc.
 Two close calls - Robin O'Reliant
>> Also a tribal element amongst road users,
>> it's just human nature.
>>

True enough. Motorists hate cyclists, truckers hare car drivers, taxi driver hate motorcyclists and bus drivers hate everyone on the planet.
Latest Forum Posts