Motoring Discussion > Average speed camera in residential area Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 11

Average speed camera in residential area - Rudedog
I came across my first ‘Average Speed’ camera/zone at the weekend on a road I often drive along but spotted the new warning sign and yellow cameras erected high up on a post over-hanging the road, obviously I’ve seen these on motorways but never in a residential area so wondered how this would work.

The bit of the road covered is not straight but has many twists and turns in it but how are all of the side roads and people’s houses that join it covered? Also at the weekend I travelled half way along the road before turning off to visit a house for a couple of hours, does the ‘camera’ remember me when I re-joined and continued along the road? What does it do if it doesn’t find my reg at the other end?

Average speed camera in residential area - bathtub tom
I have these peppered around my area. They cause problems when drivers see them and hit the brakes, not being aware they're average speed' and other drivers crawl along for the length of the observed road at 5-10 mph below the speed limit.

I use one section regularly and turn off it before passing a second camera. I've no idea if they 'remember' me and never had any notification.
 Average speed camera in residential area - Dave_
I think I know the area BTT. I got two NIPs, 8 minutes apart, a few years ago from going to rescue my then-teenager from a tricky situation in the middle of the night. I had no idea the cameras were there, they were single units atop a grey pole at each end of the road.

43 in a 30 at 01:00 and 37 in the same 30 the other way at 01:08. I got three points for one offence and a course for the other.
 Average speed camera in residential area - Zero
It can only work by timing you through the section in too short a time, if you stop off, or disappear or reappear later in the section your time won't be too short
 Average speed camera in residential area - Bromptonaut
>> It can only work by timing you through the section in too short a time,
>> if you stop off, or disappear or reappear later in the section your time won't
>> be too short

I guess it times the whole street and is primarily intended to catch/deter those using it as a 'rat run'.
Thanks, it's along the A25 between Westerham and M25 Sevenoaks turn-off, I guess it might have effect apart from the locals who will join from the side-roads and not be covered so will drive up your backside!

It always gets busy along here if the M25 gets blocked and driver de-camp to A25.

Average speed camera in residential area - Zero
Plenty examples of SPECS on urban A roads that have turn offs between timed sections
 Average speed camera in residential area - tyrednemotional
Nottinghamshire in particular is infested with them. Not just A roads, and almost into Nottingham city-centre.
 Average speed camera in residential area - Bromptonaut
>> Plenty examples of SPECS on urban A roads that have turn offs between timed sections

Hadn't appreciated from the OP that it was an urban A road; assumed a secondary urban road of the type used to miss out urban main streets.
Well like much of the A25 is used to be a major road until the M25 replaced it, then all of the larger villages near me breathed a sigh of relief, since then they have had the resident speed patrols a long the road so I guess this is the eventual outcome of much campaigning but although it's an A road it is 30mph with side streets coming off it that are NSL.

I'm sure it will have an effect but as I said the sideroads and pubs joining the road aren't covered so anyone joining from here can ignore them.

Average speed camera in residential area - zippy
We have one here and I recall, having a lapse of concentration and speeding. I just turned off at a side road and went a different way home.

Felt like getting a two false plates with the chief local road safety, sorry, road revenue collector's number and having a mate arrive at camera 1 at say 0:00:00 and me at the other camera with the same plate at 0:00:20 on the back of push bikes but haven't gotten around to it yet.

And of course repeat about a dozen times.
 Average speed camera in residential area - bathtub tom
>> Felt like getting a two false plates with the chief local road safety, sorry, road
>> revenue collector's number and having a mate arrive at camera 1 at say 0:00:00 and
>> me at the other camera with the same plate at 0:00:20 on the back of
>> push bikes but haven't gotten around to it yet.
>>
>> And of course repeat about a dozen times.

A bit like those cars on transporters that were getting penalty notices. I've colleagues who now cover their number plates (or put rude ones on) when trailing them.
Latest Forum Posts