Motoring Discussion > 2 year MOT proposal. Good or bad suggestion? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 21

2 year MOT proposal. Good or bad suggestion? - VxFan

The government's suggestion to help people ease the cost of living rises. Saving just £27.43 a year!!!

www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/357847/mot-changes-could-see-tests-required-every-two-years-instead-annually

IMHO there are already a number of unroadworthy vehicles on the road, this will just add even more to the list. Not to mention affecting garage profits.
 2 year MOT proposal. Good or bad suggestion? - CGNorwich

I'd do away with it completly if the car has been serviced in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations by a competant mechanic. Just another bit of red tape for those who look after thier vehicle properly.
 2 year MOT proposal. Good or bad suggestion? - legacylad
In Spain the first MOT/ITV is due at 4yo. Then every two years until the vehicle is 10yo.

Just saying
Its the same in France. First after four years and then every two years. Most States in the US don't have an equivlalent test. Hardly anywhere tests as frequently as the UK.
 2 year MOT proposal. Good or bad suggestion? - smokie
Too many people don't and won't get their car properly serviced, especially as they get older (that's the car not the people!!).

And of course the cost of the service would go up to cover stuff not already included.

I think I'd keep it at a year, although I get the reasoning behind the suggestion. Few enough people bother to check their lights and tyres etc regularly anyway, let alone the braking and suspensions etc included in the MOT.

Maybe a hybrid scheme. 4 years till 1st MOT then 2 years until 10 years old then every year.
 2 year MOT proposal. Good or bad suggestion? - Robin O'Reliant
I'd keep it at one year. Older cars don't often see a garage from one MoT to the next and by older I mean second owner on in many cases. It is no hardship to spend sixty or so quid per annum for the test, a mere fraction of the cost of your years motoring.
"I'd keep it at one year. Older cars don't often see a garage from one MoT to the next"

OK but why do those who have their cars serviced regularly have to have it tested?
 2 year MOT proposal. Good or bad suggestion? - Rudedog
Not sure if that would work unless you stipulate a minimum level of serving each year... my minor service which is every other year is just an oil and filter.

2 year MOT proposal. Good or bad suggestion? - bathtub tom
I think it should stay at one year intervals. I believe most car drivers are ignorant. I've flashed a couple of cars that had no rear lights, only to be told 'they're working fine. I can see them reflecting off the car in front' - DRLs. Another one told me 'It's a hire car and they told me the lights were automatic'.
 2 year MOT proposal. Good or bad suggestion? - R.P.
They considered doing it years ago (Pre-Tories) to bring the UK into line with some obscure EU policy IIRC. Bad idea, if you don't need an MoT people won't get faults dfound. My C90 goes for its MoT on Tuesday next week. In 2024 it won't need one at all...
 2 year MOT proposal. Good or bad suggestion? - Fullchat
Problem with servicing regimes is that these days they do not do preventative maintenance.
Brakes are a visual inspection and there can be all sorts of issues hiding away.
At least an annual test measures brake performance and tyres are closely inspected for anything which could cause problems.
A lot of people have not a scooby as to safety critical items. As long as it starts and drives that's absolutely fine. The number of drivers of vehicles I have dealt with over the years when having Con & Use offences pointed out respond with such comments as "It had an MOT 3 months" ago or "My Dad looks after the car". No personal responsibility.
At least with an annual MOT there's a chance of some of remedying safety critical issues. Not perfect I know.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 27 Apr 22 at 23:02
 2 year MOT proposal. Good or bad suggestion? - zippy
>>
>> At least with an annual MOT there's a chance of some of remedying safety critical
>> issues. Not perfect I know.
>>

Well said.

There are too many people that treat cars in the same way that they treat washing machines and will not fix anything until the MOT says it needs doing.

I have witnessed bald tyres, tyres with a bulge, squeaking brakes, faulty lights etc with acquaintances' vehicles only to be told the car had its MOT x months ago and passed or it's going to be MOT'd soon and they will fix it (I guess service and MOT).

Make the MOT frequency longer and the faults will be around for longer.
Plus maybe go to having test stations only like they do in other European countries, would be a bit of a pain if you have your service/MoT done at the same time.

"There are too many people that treat cars in the same way that they treat washing machines and will not fix anything until the MOT says it needs doing."

There certainly are but why do those who have thier car serviced properly have to have the same inspection? A stamped service record is surley sufficient.
 2 year MOT proposal. Good or bad suggestion? - VxFan
>> There certainly are but why do those who have thier car serviced properly have to
>> have the same inspection? A stamped service record is surley sufficient.

A stamped service record can be easily forged.

And what about the competent DIY'er who is more than capable of servicing his or her car and don't worry about things like service books being filled out?
'Stamped service record'... certainly a thing of the past for many manufactures, my 2019 GTi's all recorded online, you can ask for a printout but it's pretty bog standard and could easily be rustled up on any PC/printer.

I could let you know where you could obtain an MOT without the bother of visiting a garage.
 2 year MOT proposal. Good or bad suggestion? - Fullchat
"There certainly are but why do those who have thier car serviced properly have to have the same inspection? A stamped service record is surely sufficient."

I refer to my previous post. Servicing is not necessarily about preventative maintenance. Wheels aren't even taken off until something sounds amiss. And my experience of dealer servicing regimes are that they are more about fleecing the customer than genuine concern for the longevity of their vehicles.

2 year MOT proposal. Good or bad suggestion? - Dog
Wot ^he said.
 2 year MOT proposal. Good or bad suggestion? - Zero
The days of rusty death traps on the road is long gone, so two years is a good idea. Excep round zipsters way of course, where cars should be stopped and passengers questioned on every journey
 2 year MOT proposal. Good or bad suggestion? - Runfer D'Hills
Unfortunately, as with so many things, the regulations/rules have to capture the lowest common denominators.
Most here are probably a bit OCD about the condition of their vehicles. I certainly am. Still hardwired to check tyres, fluids etc on a regular basis and indeed to investigate and take action to rectify any mechanical problems if they make themselves apparent.
Many though, are simply not interested in or concerned by such matters, and without a system obliging them to ensure that their vehicles comply with a basic set of mainly safety related guidelines they just won’t bother.
 2 year MOT proposal. Good or bad suggestion? - Duncan
>> Excep round zipsters way of course, where cars should be stopped
>> and passengers questioned on every journey
>>

By very burly police officers who are fully armed and aggressive.
Latest Forum Posts