Motoring Discussion > Convertibles Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 32

Convertibles - legacylad
I know..wrong time of year to be buying one, should be late autumn.
It’s almost 6 years since I moved on my 330 convertible to a relative, and my Spitfire & Elise days are a distant memory, but I still hanker after another before I push up daisies.
Sadly it won’t be a Mk1 Elise, or an MX5 , but for a final fling, and a civilised pootle around and long haul overseas trip/s ( already planned) I’ve demons to exorcise.

Please dissuade me.
 Convertibles - zippy
Go for it.

I miss my A4 v6 convertible so much. I just can't justify a soft top at the moment.

Visiting a client recently who I knew had a big expensive BMW, he drove up in smart grey MX5 and explained it was his "fun" car.

I must admit the new styling is much more masculine than predecessors and I could easily be persuaded.
 Convertibles - Runfer D'Hills
On the contrary, just do it. Life too short etc.
;-)
I’d quite like a Fiat 124 Spider. I know MX5s are probably better, but y’know, they’re just not as cool.
;-)
 Convertibles - Zero
Dont do it, you have such poor taste in cars, do you really need to be a hairdresser?
 Convertibles - legacylad
Gotta disagree Z.
The Spitfire was a whole bunch of fun when I was very young. The Mk1 Elise absolutely brilliant...right car, right time in my life ( jeez I needed it) and the (2004) 330 probably the best engine of any car I’ve ever owned.

True I’ve owned some awful cars since I was 17yo, but I’ve had some beauts as well.

Admittedly, my standards are slipping. Must try harder.

Edit. I often go for a walk around Lliber when in Espana and there’s a lovely Fiat Spider always parked up outside a hilltop residence. Epitome of a cool car.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 13 Apr 22 at 22:42
 Convertibles - Bobby
It’s got to be a big dirty Merc V8 convertible of the type Hart to Hart drove!
 Convertibles - Crankcase
Lexus SC 430.
E Class convertible like wot Peter S has. He seems to like it. Think I would too. Gentleman’s carriage sort of thing.
 Convertibles - legacylad
I’m thinking along those lines....has to be reasonably economical....of the smaller convertibles I like the A3 over the C class or BMW equivalent, but for something larger ( do I need larger ?) E class is probably the way to go. Love the look of the E in the right body/roof colour combination.
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 14 Apr 22 at 07:48
I’m a fan of convertibles too. Like you, I had a Spitfire many years ago, then a Midget and later a Westfield of course.

All good fun in different ways.

My two closest and oldest friends still have convertibles. One has a Merc SLK and the other has a Z4. Both have had them a very long time and won’t part with them. However, they both have wives with modern SUVs too. Both admit that they sometimes use the bigger cars when needed.

(Are there any women left of a certain age who don’t have an SUV now? ) ;-)

A good compromise for you might be a larger 4 seat convertible.

Then again, there’s always Boxters…

;-)
 Convertibles - Crankcase
I kind of like the idea, but....

Neighbour has a convertible Volvo. We went up the road and back, he took the roof down. To be honest I just thought it felt noisy and windy and vaguely unsafe. Unpleasant next to lorries on an overtake. Didn't really do much for me.

I think I prefer enclosed and warm.
 Convertibles - hawkeye
I've had very little to do with convertibles. Dad used to have a MkII Ford Zephyr convertible which, at the speed he drove, would unlatch one or both doors over the hump-back bridge to Bishop Monkton 60-odd years ago. Still, the straight-6 sounded good. Mum (divorced by then) had an '80 Triumph Spitfire V in which was a bit cramped for me. I used to look over the top of the windscreen and that was very draughty indeed. I thought I was done with the damn things but then sister-in-law showed up in a neglected Saab 9.3 convertible which she thought was the dog's whatsits. What is it with women of a certain age and convertibles?

For LL's benefit, I offer my suggestion. It'll probably still be draughty, but the noise will be nice if it sounds anything like a Jaguar S-Type R.
www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?postcode=bd213qj&radius=10&make=Jaguar&model=XKR&include-delivery-option=on&keywords=convertible

PS; the Citroen Chapron convertible. Those wheel trims; UGH!
 Convertibles - Kevin
Civilised pootle and long-hail trips?

tinyurl.com/2p87xu9p
 Convertibles - sooty123
www.classic-trader.com/uk/cars/listing/citroen/ds/ds-21-chapron/1967/278630

Now we're talking.
Quite a lot of money that Sooty!

Convertibles - sooty123
>> Quite a lot of money that Sooty!
>>
>>
>>

Mere detail.
 Convertibles - tyrednemotional
...if we're talking Citroen, isn't this more LL..

tinyurl.com/2dux66x3

(I was thinking of getting up those rough Spanish tracks he inhabits, honest!)
 Convertibles - Robin O'Reliant
>> ...if we're talking Citroen, isn't this more LL..
>>
>> tinyurl.com/2dux66x3
>>
>> (I was thinking of getting up those rough Spanish tracks he inhabits, honest!)
>>

Now that is a car I'd love to have!
Coming totally clean, I would also quite like another convertible, and if I had room in my life for one right now, I might. But, my current needs and usage would mean it would get very little use, so for now anyway, I’ll pass.

Also, I am not bald, fat, recently divorced, a woman, a willing baseball cap wearer, or indeed aware of being in the midst of any other kind of life crisis either, and it seems to me that the acquisition of a convertible requires at least two or more of those qualifications to be credible.

I guess I could work on the hat thing, but the rest seem a bit too extreme really, don’t you think, for the sake of a car anyway. Although, on reflection, I don’t mind a slice of pork pie now and then…

;-)
 Convertibles - neiltoo
>>
>> Also, I am not bald, fat, recently divorced, a woman, a willing baseball cap wearer,
>> or indeed aware of being in the midst of any other kind of life crisis
>> either, and it seems to me that the acquisition of a convertible requires at least
>> two or more of those qualifications to be credible.
>>
Don't qualify for anything there, except perhaps I'm 75.

Anyway, my daily drive is still the 07 SAAB cabriolet, and I'm still in love with it.
Mrs Too likes it also.

I've had it from new, with the first three years on lease.
It's a bit tatty, done 90K miles, and still makes me smile.

Top down all the time, as long as the weather's dry
Last edited by: neiltoo on Thu 14 Apr 22 at 17:12
>>
>> Top down all the time, as long as the weather's dry
>>

...I bet you say that to all the girls....
That’s perfectly ok Neil. It’s a SAAB. They are always cool.
;-)
 Convertibles - Terry
Like the idea of another convertible - in the past had MGB, Triumph Spitfire, MGF, and a "Gentry" kit car MGF F type.

Would not use any as a daily driver or for a long trip - noisy, insecure, poor performance (bar MGF), lack of luggage capacity. Failing knees also means that getting out of the low slung is a pain. Real use is sunny summer days down to the coast or country on B roads etc.

Main options now surround Saab, Volvo, Merc, possibly Audi, BMW. Absolute performance and MPG not an issue. RR, Ferrari, etc unaffordable.
 Convertibles - Boxsterboy
>> Anyway, my daily drive is still the 07 SAAB cabriolet, and I'm still in love
>> with it.
>> Mrs Too likes it also.
>>
>> I've had it from new, with the first three years on lease.
>> It's a bit tatty, done 90K miles, and still makes me smile.
>>
>> Top down all the time, as long as the weather's dry
>>

Just like Mrs BB and her 07 Merc CLK cab. Had it for 12 years now, only 50k summer miles although electrical issues make the MOT an annual challenge these days. But she wouldn’t change it for the world. Perfect sunny weather waft-wagon!
 Convertibles - Zero
>> www.classic-trader.com/uk/cars/listing/citroen/ds/ds-21-chapron/1967/278630
>>
>> Now we're talking.

Far to much class and good taste for our fell walking friend
 Convertibles - legacylad
Nice walk today....train to Dent. Which as you know is the highest mainline station in England.
Turn right up the Coal Road, then track along the flanks of Gt Knoutberry and return downhill to Dentdale under Arten Gill viaduct. Dales Way return to Ribblehead over Blea Moor...unfortunately a large refrigerator arctic stuck in the valley. No access over the ancient pack horse bridge at Stonehouse and no idea how it can turn round.
My HGV friends think the police will have to close the road whilst it reverses several miles uphill on a very narrow twisty road.

A wonderful sunny day, great views down Dentdale from the northern entrance to Blea Moor tunnel, and FREE beer late afternoon in the shadow of Ribblehead viaduct courtesy of Black Sheep brewery and a pop up bar as they introduced a new brew.
Christmas came early.
 Convertibles - Zero
>> Civilised pootle and long-hail trips?
>>
>> tinyurl.com/2p87xu9p
>
Yes! Flaunt it.
Long hail trips - That some kind of pilgrimage?
;-)
..he couldn't spell "poodle" as well.....
I’ve heard of pootling though. Never tried it, I prefer wafting. Poodling might be illegal mind. Not sure.
>> Poodling might be illegal mind.
>>

...not if it's civilised...
I suppose if it’s consensual then fair enough. Don’t think it’s for me though.
Latest Forum Posts