Motoring Discussion > Kia EV6 test drive Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 5

Kia EV6 test drive - Crankcase
Zippy asked me in the energy bill thread about the Kia EV6 I test drove today, so I thought best to put the answer into motoring.

>> >> Indeed. Test drove a Kia EV6 today

>>
>> What did you think of it?
>>

Firmly in the not sure category, if that helps. In the spec I would go for, which is "GT Line s" (because that's the only spec that offers all I would want) it's 50K. It doesn't feel like a 50K car at all, it feels like a 30K one. The money, I guess, is in the EV bits and the driving assistance tech. The tech was only really comparable with everything else out there though it did have funky camera views in little circles that appear in the dash when you indicate. Shows you if there's a cyclist or something.

The seats - well. After our twenty mile run I was on the edge of thinking "hmm, IS this seat comfortable?" When you sit in some cars you instantly think yes, I could drive to Scotland with no stops and no bother. This really didn't feel like that. (Yes, we do drive to Scotland with no stops, two or three times a year. And I'm sorry to tell you all, back again too).

The floating armrest console is a bit weird, and you can't bring the armrest forward or lift it, so you have to work round the car there, not the car round you. The front USB sockets are on the blasted floor, virtually. You have to be pretty lithe and bendy to plug things in and out of there!

If like me you tend to drive in a manner Roadcraft in the eighties was already calling "slack", then you put your right elbow on the window ledge. Bit too high to do that comfortably, even with the seat up almost to the top of the travel. I had the seat that high to be comfortable looking out the front - I'm five foot eleven.

No sunglasses holder. Good size glovebox. Funny little storage thing, big enough for a briefcase or something, in the front. But you have to pop the bonnet like an ICE car, and prop it up, and open a cover, to get to it. Secure I guess, once the bonnet is down. Bit odd.

Sunroof in this spec; with no choice of interior colour other than doom grey, you need it. Sunroof blind is electric (though not gesture controlled).

Satnav a bit odd - pitch black, so all you really see is a coloured road ahead of you up the middle of the screen. Salesman thought that might be a setting, so don't know about that. When you plot a route, it tells you the next three turns as a list to the right of the map. This confused the heck out of me, because the next turn is at the BOTTOM of the list. Maybe that's changeable, but it seemed counter intuitive to me.

Boot was ok, deep, but a bit shallow. Nothing like the size of our existing Octavia, but I was expecting that. Rear seats drop of course. I say of course - the Lexus ES we tried last week does NOT have folding rear seats, which struck it off our list unfortunately.

Rattled on the test drive. Salesman said that was the cables in the back, so I expect it was.

Not hugely composed over bumps, bit of a minor bone shaker. It was on 20" tyres, but not as noisy at 30-60mph as I anticipated it might be. It's about as noisy as any car is at those speeds, and in fact on the way home in the ICE Octavia, my car is noticeably quieter in the cabin and smoother over bumps. Probably because mine runs on 17s.

I was also looking for how well it implemented a particular feature that it is supposed to do (predictive ACC), but it didn't work. Salesman didn't know why either. So who knows why. Setting in a menu, perhaps.

I was initially tempted by the much vaunted over 300 mile range. It's a 77kWh battery. Last night I saw a review, in which the bloke said he got 3.2 kWh per mile. I thought that was a bit low. Today we drove 19 miles - I also got 3.2 kWh over 20 miles of varied running and I know how to drive an EV.

That review is here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW_9OQ8Yzyg

So that would be 77*3.2 kWh = 246 miles in today's conditions, extrapolating. But you can't really conclude that as an exact figure of course, as always "it depends".

Obviously better in the summer - today it was about ten degrees, dry roads, no wind - but anyway, the apparent range didn't particularly wow me.

Inside is perfectly fine. Ride quality is fine. Acceleration is fine. All of it is perfectly fine. And that's as best as I can go really. Perfectly fine, but I'd want a bit more than "fine" for that money.

Not convinced it's for us, but glad to have tried it.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 9 Apr 22 at 19:36
 Kia EV6 test drive - Dog
I was out walking the dogs this morning, and had a nose at the cars in the Jamaica Inn car park.

2 EV's on charge, a Leaf and a Mazda MX-30. Nice looking little car, I thought to myself.

Turns out its only got a 35.5KWh battery with a range of about 100 miles, and has 'freestyle doors'.

Smallish sporty SUV but a bit of a looker: www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mazda/mx-30
 Kia EV6 test drive - zippy
Thanks for the review Crankcase.

It's interesting re your comments on price vs. ambiance (for want of a better word).

A colleague has a Tesla 3 Long Range that cost about £55k. The seat leather is as thin as paper and creasing, there are uneven panel gaps all over. It certainly doesn't feel like a £55k car that you would be in if it were a BMW or similar.
 Kia EV6 test drive - legacylad
Slight thread drift....complete polar opposite, but when on the Costa B recently a friend drove down in his MB S500.
It’s LHD and bought it after an acquaintance, who enjoyed driving holidays in France, sadly died.
It’s a large lump V8, does mid low 30s on a gentle run, and simply purrs along. It’s quite a few years old and is by far the best car I’ve ever been driven in. Almost silent inside, beautifully trimmed, oozes quality of the highest order, with lovely ambient interior lighting at night.

I don’t know exactly what he paid for it, but it was a fraction of its original list price. It took my motoring experience to a whole new level.

Now...back to EVs...sorry...
 Kia EV6 test drive - Lygonos
Pick of the EV6 bunch is probably the RWD on smaller wheels - cheaper, bigger frunk, fast enough (7.4s vs 5.5s for AWD), and better economy than the AWD.

Still waiting for my 73kWh ZS - likely to be June at the earliest.
 Kia EV6 test drive - Crankcase
>> Pick of the EV6 bunch is probably the RWD on smaller wheels - cheaper, bigger
>> frunk

Yes, the one we looked at and described above was the RWD so the "bigger" frunk. It must be really titchy in the AWD car, and range would be even lower, of course.

To get the smaller (still 19" though) wheels you have to drop a grade, which removes some of the toys I'd like, and the sunroof. So no good to us.
Latest Forum Posts