Motoring Discussion > Cracked windscreen. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 25

Cracked windscreen. - henry k
I have just found a seven inch crack in my 07 Jaguar X type windscreen.
The crack starts in the bottom corner on the passenger side.
The swept area is two inches at the bottom and a little higher it seven inches.
It seems to be that both the inner and outer glass is cracked
It is totally outside the normal driver viewing area.
(I only saw it as the light was highlighting it.)

I assume the claim for a replacement is basically simple.
I want a OE screen rather than a clone. I expect to be charged extra for OE.

It puzzles me what has caused it.
The car is parked in the drive with the screen close to the house and the car has not moved for three months.
There is no sign of impact. ( the crack starts out of sight in the surround ).
There is no sign of rust.
 Cracked windscreen. - Zero
On a car thats been out of production for 14 years, with a limited number still on the roads, your chances of an OE screen may be slim.

Its a simple insurance claim,

causes? expanding rust you cant see (less likely with a fully bonded screen tho its possible) but its likely to be the wide temp variations we have been having along with lack of movement (the sealant goes stiff if left for a long time without flexing)
 Cracked windscreen. - carmalade
If it’s a heated screen, it’s possible damp has got up between the laminations where the wiring enters the glass. Change of temperature may be the cause . Chances of getting a factory screen for one of these is slim .
Thanks for replies
>> If it’s a heated screen,
Yes it is
>>it’s possible damp has got up between the laminations where
>> the wiring enters the glass. Change of temperature may be the cause .
Certainly, looking at online images the wiring connections are where the cracks appear to start.
Plus both sheets of glass appear to be cracked.
Out of curiosity I started the booking process online with the biggest company and it had a box to tick re rain sensing wipers, which I have so another thing to check out.
I will just check process with my insurance co so I play by the rules.

>>Chances of getting a factory screen for one of these is slim .
>>
I am not surprised.
Replacement is booked to be fitted on Thursday. £75 standard charge paid up front.
( The windscreen is a rain sensing version.)

FYI. If you need to replace a screen in a modern high spec car it may be a lot longer job than expected. i.e. the job requires the car have some work done elsewhere.

www.autoglass.co.uk/glass-repair-and-replacement/windscreen-recalibration/windscreen-recalibration-faqs/
 Cracked windscreen. - wotspur
Be aware , many Autoglass places are on Industrial estates ( Had mine done in Hampton along the A316) and they did a good job but it took them longer than they expected and a few weeks later I received an Invoice for being there longer than the agreed period . Yes , they got it cancelled for me ,, but why did they not have a list of cars done each day to provide the parking company . In a way I’m glad they wasted £2.50 to obtain my details
 Cracked windscreen. - Kevin
X-Type?

Won't a Mondeo screen fit? ;-)
 Cracked windscreen. - Rudedog
When this has been brought up on the GTi forums it's said that there are only two companies who make windscreens for all car manufacturers and that they just put their stamp on them, much debate as to whether they are really an different although people are saying new screens might be a bit thinner so prone to cracking/chipping, so might be lucky finding an old-stock one.

Cracked windscreen. - bathtub tom
Does anyone know how modern windscreens are made?

I had an old moggie minor who's 'screen was going milky from one corner. I was told it was laminated and water was getting between the laminations. I've seen the same on '70s aircraft.

That was before toughened glass 'screens came along and had the annoying pattern you could see through polarised lenses.

A friend got a 'screen for an Elva Courier. He was told they got one from a Mercedes lorry and cut it down. I wouldn't have thought that could be done.
 Cracked windscreen. - Timeonmyhands

>> That was before toughened glass 'screens came along and had the annoying pattern you could
>> see through polarised lenses.
Wasn’t that Triplex “Zebra Zone” the idea being when it shattered you had an area that you could see through a bit to stop safely?

Cracked windscreen. - Zero
you can cut, with the right gear technique and care, a laminated screen (needs to be flat with no curves) You cant cut a toughened screen.
 Cracked windscreen. - Runfer D'Hills
There was an episode of Wheeler Dealers where a guy (in America) cut down a windscreen from a something or other to fit an old SAAB. I remember being temporarily a bit fascinated.
 Cracked windscreen. - Fullchat
Daughter rung me this morning. She'd gone to her Picanto (3 door) and some 'bottom hole' has put her rear side window through. Her car is a tip of the highest order but they found a large scented candle to nick.
So the car has been delivered to Fullchat Motors and I've managed to get the old one out. They are a complete unit with the glass bonded to the trim, bolted in with 6 fixed bolts and a butyl seal. Access to the nuts involves removing/moving interior trim around the window to get at the retaining nuts. There are some second hand ones out there for £50ish
The biggest problem is all the glass fragments throughout the vehicle. Fortunately I have a good Titan garage vac.
 Cracked windscreen. - Bobby
Tell her that’s why she has got insurance…..
 Cracked windscreen. - Robin O'Reliant
>> Tell her that’s why she has got insurance…..
>>

Not as convenient as a dad, though...
"Tell her that’s why she has got insurance….."

Not as easy as that Bobby. As we also help with the insurance. Shes in a low paid job waiting to do a PT Masters next year. Should be doing it this year except some Uni Admissions really messed up.
She has a lot if stress in her life. I'll help where I can.
 Cracked windscreen. - zippy
>>bottom hole

There's a special place in hell for these people!
I was told by a BIB that if there's anything visible inside your car that's worth more than a couple of quid, then there's a scrote that'll nick it, regardless of the damage they'll cause.
 Cracked windscreen. - smokie
... and I feel sure this will only get worse with the squeeze everyone will be feeling soon
"I was told by a BIB that if there's anything visible inside your car that's worth more than a couple of quid, then there's a scrote that'll nick it, regardless of the damage they'll cause."

I've told her the same myself BT. Anything on show, even a bit of loose change. The cost of the damage is of absolutely no consequence. I think complacency has set in and she doesn't see the vulnerability of where she lives. Hopefully a reminder of how the world works at times.
 Cracked windscreen. - Falkirk Bairn
A son, many years ago, left a laptop cover on the back seat whilst going into a gym - window smashed - the local low life then found out it was empty.

Likewise, 20+ years ago I parked my nice new shiny Honda in the staff area of the Glasgow College Carpark (never parked near the student area)

Spied on from a nearby Multi-storey block of flats. They came over the fence, smashed a window, rifled through the car, the boot etc and all they got was £2-£3 of parking change.

I got smashed glass and there muddy feet all over the light interior. The police got fingerprints on the car (just washed & polished the day before) but no matches - the likely "12/13 year olds" had not been caught before.

I had my case & laptop in my hand going in to see the customer
 Cracked windscreen. - VxFan
>> A friend got a 'screen for an Elva Courier. He was told they got one
>> from a Mercedes lorry and cut it down. I wouldn't have thought that could be
>> done.

Was shown on a Wheeler Dealers episode when they were trying to find a windscreen for a 1973 SAAB 96. They used one from a Chevrolet Impala.

youtu.be/V0UfTq5gMG0?t=420

EDIT, just seen Runfer said the same thing.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 4 Apr 22 at 10:43
All now sorted.
A very helpful guy came on time and did a very good job as far as I can tell.

He identified that the trim where the wipers poke through had not been fitted ( re fitted ) correctly. This was last removed by a Jaguar main dealer when the filter was changed.
It allowed a vast amount of leaves, dirt and debris to build up.
So maybe the cause of the fault?

The original windscreen had not been correctly fitted ( when car was built ?)
It was not correctly seated in the body.

He used a plastic string with a winding device to cut through the mastic sealant.
The plastic snapped so resorted to wire.
The problem seemed to be due to the screen being incorrectly fitted

He removed the strip of trim ON the roof where the roof bars screw into the roof.
This was realigned. The original owner would not have fitted roof bars so again a production line error.

I fitted new Bosch Aero twin wipers to complete the job
 Cracked windscreen. - VxFan
>> He used a plastic string with a winding device to cut through the mastic sealant.

I can remember when they used to take the re-enforcing strip out of the rubber trim, then sit in one of the front seats and push the old windscreen out with their feet.
 Cracked windscreen. - Timeonmyhands

then sit in one of the front seats and push the old windscreen out
>> with their feet.
>>
I had a girlfriend like that.
>> I had a girlfriend like that.

Stiletto heel punctures in the roof lining? IIRC. we all faked that!
Latest Forum Posts