Motoring Discussion > Motoring magazines Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 19

Motoring magazines - legacylad
I don’t think I’ve bought one for several years, and it must be the late 80s when I stopped my subscription to Car magazine.

Anyone still subscribe to anything....either online or in printed format ?
 Motoring magazines - smokie
No, but you've reminded me that (probably through here) I put an app on my phone which enabled me to sign up to the local library for free publications. I never went back to it to see what was there.
 Motoring magazines - Zero
I read most of them online from time to time, and just checking autoexpress, have you seen this?

www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/357661/new-volkswagen-golf-r-estate-2022-review

If you are disappointed in the dynamism of your henry, this would be right up your passage.
 Motoring magazines - Bromptonaut
I used to buy Diesel Car in the mid-late nineties when it was edited by John Kerswill. It went downhill after Kerswill left and, I think, it was bought out by a big publisher (EMAP?).

Nothing since.
 Motoring magazines - sooty123
I used to buy auto express and TG up until about 10 years ago.

Tried the local library thing but I've moved around a fair bit and it's often pretty clunky to get online to start with so haven't really bothered.
 Motoring magazines - Duncan
Back in the mists of time, I used to read my brother's Motor Sport, when he left home, I bought it for myself until Denis Jenkinson and Bill Boddy were no longer on the scene.

Then Autocar or Motor, then What Car, until they got beyond the slightest semblence to holding manufacturers to account or criticising rubbish cars, when I stopped buying anything like that.

I have subscribed to Which? including the car sections for donkey's years.
Last edited by: Duncan on Sat 26 Mar 22 at 14:23
 Motoring magazines - Robin O'Reliant
I used to buy Car Mechanics in the seventies and eighties, nothing since.

During idle periods in the shop I like to read some of the classic car and kit car mags as they can be quite interesting. The only magazine I've bought for years is the Radio Times.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sat 26 Mar 22 at 14:33
 Motoring magazines - Crankcase
For what it's worth, if you have Amazon Prime you get a rotating selection of free downloadable magazines.

They're usually a hopeless selection, but sometimes there are car ones, or one or two worth looking at.

I always forget to check them each week, and they are hard to find unless you bookmark it, so here, I think.

www.amazon.co.uk/kindle-dbs/fd/prime-pr-magazines/
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 26 Mar 22 at 16:00
 Motoring magazines - Dog
>>I used to buy Car Mechanics in the seventies and eighties, nothing since.

Same 'ere + Practical Motorist/Cars and Car Conversions/Hot Car and numerous other car mags.

I would read 'em cover-to-cover. I would say they helped me in pursuing a 14-year career in the motor trade.
 Motoring magazines - Rudedog
I have a monthly sub for 991 & Porsche World, covers new stuff and historical pieces.

Motoring magazines - Falkirk Bairn
I was given a Readly Subscription at Xmas - it was Xmas offer around £85.

Some UK Daily papers and hundreds of Magazines on multiple topics.
There are dozens of motor magazine but unfortunately not all in English.

Then again, for roughly the equivalent £1.60 a week there are magazines on cars, lorries, motorhomes, motorcycle, some practical, some of specific manufacturers etc etc

readly.com
 Motoring magazines - Bobby
I used to have a subscription for Auto Express and received a weekly copy through the post. Read it cover to cover. Analysed stats. Before that it was What Car that had an index at the back of all current prices models and spec. In the simple days when a model face you a specific spec without 200 different individual package options!

I fly out to Tenerife tomorrow, I will be looking to buy a motor mag of some sort for the plane. Not even sure what mags are still published?
 Motoring magazines - Bobby
Auto Express bought. £3.80!!
 Motoring magazines - Kevin
>I have a monthly sub for 991 & Porsche World,..

Do you want a fuel filter for a 944 Turbo S? I have one in my garage. Make a good paperweight.

I used to get Porsche World years ago when I had the 944. I just buy the occassional Playjag now.

PS. Aren't there some weird oily-bit magazines available now. I mean, who buys 'Classic Tractor' magazine? And why does my local Sainsburys keep stocking it? Do punters who've called in for a litre of milk and half a dozen eggs suddenly think "Oooh, that looks interesting"?
 Motoring magazines - BiggerBadderDave
I only buy magazines in airports, mostly to ease the tedium of sitting in an uncomfortable chair for a couple of hours.

Usually a cinema or music magazine. I even buy Top Gear but I can't remember the last time that would have been. Before all the lockdowns.
 Motoring magazines - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> PS. Aren't there some weird oily-bit magazines available now. I mean, who buys 'Classic Tractor'
>> magazine? And why does my local Sainsburys keep stocking it? Do punters who've called in
>> for a litre of milk and half a dozen eggs suddenly think "Oooh, that looks
>> interesting"?
>>
>>

We sell a few classic tractor magazines, being a rural community quite a few farmers are into them. Classic buses also have their enthusiasts but the mags dedicated to old bikes are the best sellers of all.
 Motoring magazines - bathtub tom
>> We sell a few classic tractor magazines, being a rural community quite a few farmers
>> are into them.

I was at Harry Tuffins in Churchstoke, Powys and was amazed to see the number of 'old tractor' magazines. Tweny-odd, IIRC.
 Motoring magazines - R.P.
I've taken Motorcycle Sport since 1980. It still arrives, it still takes a while to read, buut is always a joy. I also take Ride, which is not as good, no doubt I'll bin it when the subs are due. The great mystery is Bike magazine. One of my favourite mags in the 80s but I've grown up since, however it turned up at my new home late summer last year, I thought it was some sort of Promo but it's been turning up ever since. My usual biker friends have denied taking out a sub for it, I certainly haven't ordered it. I enjoy it.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 28 Mar 22 at 19:21
 Motoring magazines - R.P.
I binned CAR in 2009, I don't miss it. My Library service allows me to access Autocar on my tablet, dull as ditchwater.
 Motoring magazines - Rudedog
For me it's what to do with the old ones....?
Latest Forum Posts