Motoring Discussion > Some Good News Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 15

Some Good News - Robin O'Reliant
Just had my Tesco car insurance renewal through, gone down from last years £247 to £188 for full comp with class 1 business use. Not much over the course of a year, but every little helps.

The house insurance is due next month, I'm hoping for it to got the same way.
 Some Good News - Manatee
I'd be interested to hear trends on house insurance. Just paid £710, but that was because I haven't moved in yet, there's still work going on, and I haven't got the completion certificate. It was either that or extend site insurance which was £370 for a 3 month extension.

I suppose it could also have been something to do with my £250,000 claim in 2019.
 Some Good News - sooty123
I paid 250 ish for my house ins. I think that's pretty good.
 Some Good News - Stuartli
>> I paid 250 ish for my house ins. I think that's pretty good. >>

LV have just reduced mine from £173 last year to £169 this year..... That was the highest price I'd ever paid to date.
 Some Good News - Clk Sec
Just had our renewal notice, and they want £401.

Just £231 last year and no claims, so I'll be making a few 'phone calls!
 Some Good News - Clk Sec
>> Just had our renewal notice, and they want £401.

No discount offered on our home insurance, so auto renewal cancelled.

Some Good News - Timeonmyhands
Strange one, Direct line wrote on Saturday to say they will not offer to renew my Jaguar XF in April, no reason given.
Rang them, operator said there was a code UW on the system meaning the underwriter is not offering cover to me. Been with them since 1993, three vehicles and house insurance with them, no claims, no points.
Sod them, LV Quoted £156.00 fully comp with SWMBO as a named driver.
Looks like Direct line are going to lose three motor policies of mine, one house policy and two motor policies of my daughter.
 Some Good News - smokie
That isn't that unusual I suspect, with something less run-of-the-mill. Whoever I was with didn't recognise the Ampera when I got it so I had to change insurer.
 Some Good News - CGNorwich
Strange. Just checked the Direct Line website and no problem entering a Jaguar XF
 Some Good News - bathtub tom
Does this mean Timeonmyhands has to answer yes to the question: "Have you ever been declined insurance"?
 Some Good News - Robin O'Reliant
>> Does this mean Timeonmyhands has to answer yes to the question: "Have you ever been
>> declined insurance"?
>>

That one is a real pain in the backside, believe me.

Wind back to 2004 and my house was insured with AON. I got a renewal letter through and because the price was right I didn't do anything expecting the renewal to go through automatically as it always had done, but for whatever reason they changed it so you had to confirm you wanted to carry on. After three months when my bank account was growing by the same amount every month I checked through and saw the house insurance was not being taken. On phoning them they told me why, then rather bluntly refused to insure me again because I had a gap in my insurance!

So every time I take out new insurance or change providers I have to answer yes to the question "Have you ever been refused insurance"?. I never submit new insurance forms online now in case it automatically rejects me but fill out the form answering no to that question then phone up instead and explain the reason. That has never been a problem and they always match the online quote telling me reason I was refused will not effect the premium.

A lot of faffing about mind, going through a load of "Push button 1 if you want this, 2 if you want that" etc then an indeterminate wait till someone picks up the phone.
 Some Good News - Timeonmyhands
I asked that question, he said no, it wasn’t a refusal to insure me just that the underwriter wasn’t offering to renew.
 Some Good News - Falkirk Bairn
I would dig a little deeper and try & find out what this is all about.
Before insurers tissue renewals they check your credit file.

1999 a son was looking to buy a flat in Aberdeen. He was living in a flat share.
He applied for a mortgage and was refused. He thought it was his flatmate who had substantial student debts at the time. It turns out the problem was me!! I had a fraud flag against my name, and by association, he was deemed dodgy!

It turns out that somebody living in a nearby sink estate, with a similar name to mine, had been involved in fraud. He had diverted some of my credit card info - he had managed to get hold of my details and moved me to the sink address. Armed with this he managed to get loans etc and defaulted on the debts - I have not had any debts, loans etc for many many years - everything has always been paid on-time/in full in my lifetime.

Looked at Credit File on 3 sites - 2 had me clear, 1 had fraud markers. It took me 6 months to get Experian & a Credit Company to clear my name and remove the markers - Experian, at that time would only take written communications and would reply in 28 days hence my 5/6 letters took 6 months.
 Some Good News - Duncan
>> I would dig a little deeper and try & find out what this is all
>> about..............

>> It turns out that somebody living in a nearby sink estate, with a similar name
>> to mine, had been involved in fraud.

Several years ago, when applying for credit of any kind, I was regularly asked if I had ever lived in Leeds.

It seemed that someone with the same name as me, living in Leeds was on the Hi Diddle Diddle. He was a wrong 'un - but isn't everyone who lives North of Watford?

Once I had established that I was a straight as a die Suvverner, everything was o.k.
 Some Good News - Bobby
After my house fire which overall claim came to £100k+, I just stayed with the same insurer (Axa) for the time it covered the “have you had a claim in the last x years” period.
No chance I was getting quotes via comparison sites without all sorts of questionnaires and supplemental info.
 Some Good News - slowdown avenue
two years back my car was over 10 years old and i was [refused] yesterday i was refused because i'm too old , over 70 . b....... cheek
Latest Forum Posts