Motoring Discussion > Oxford zero emissions zone launched in city centre Green Issues
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 7

Oxford zero emissions zone launched in city centre - VxFan

A scheme to clear Oxford city centre of polluting vehicles has got under way.

Drivers of all non-zero emission vehicles using certain roads will be charged in the Zero Emission Zone (ZEZ), which was approved last March.

The city is the first in Britain to introduce a ZEZ, Oxfordshire County Council and Oxford City Council say.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-60523907

Yet another reason to avoid Oxford.

Oxford zero emissions zone launched in city centre - smokie
I get that the noise of a nicely tuned V8 burbling away is good to hear but the smell? No thanks :-)
 Oxford zero emissions zone launched in city centre - CGNorwich
I guess most cities will adopt similar measures. Norwich is talking about it, No bad thing in my opinion.
 Oxford zero emissions zone launched in city centre - tyrednemotional
...if you've been anywhere near Oxford in the last twenty years or more, you'll likely be of the opinion that anyone who wants to drive a car anywhere near the centre needs their bumps felt...
 Oxford zero emissions zone launched in city centre - Biggles
It seems that plug-in hybrids will have to pay the charge. If the car is running in electric only mode, it is zero emission so should, on a logical basis, not have to pay unless the fossil fuel engine is started.
 Oxford zero emissions zone launched in city centre - smokie
Hard to prove what it's running on by CCTV though. And you probably had to use ICE to get to the zone which I suppose is all part of the equation.
 Oxford zero emissions zone launched in city centre - Mr Moo
We live about an hour from Oxford. Decent network of park and ride facilities and I’ve not driven into central Oxford for years. Don’t mind some sort of clean air zone and resultant vehicle charges if a viable public transport option is provided.

The other bonus is that parking at Pear Tree make me come over all Alan Partridge. A-ha!
 Oxford zero emissions zone launched in city centre - Boxsterboy
>> A scheme to clear Oxford city centre of polluting vehicles has got under way.
>>
>> Yet another reason to avoid Oxford.
>>

I suspect rather more people, tourists especially, will prefer to walk around Oxford city centre without breathing in polluted air.
Latest Forum Posts