Motoring Discussion > Recomendations for a friend Buying / Selling
Thread Author: mikeyb Replies: 18

Recomendations for a friend - mikeyb
A friend has approached me regarding some help for a new car. She has an old scenic which is on its last legs so wants to change car. Budget is 6K. Criteria is must be high up as daugter gets travel sick in anything lower down, and an Auto would be a bonus as she has knee problems which could get worse over time.

So far I have suggested that she avoid another scenic as I think that in the 6K market they could be troublesome

C Max
Altea
Golf Plus
She likes Mazda 5, but not sure if its within budget.

Any other thoughts?
 Recommendations for a friend - Avant
Any of those plus the Toyota Verso.

She could also look at the Honda Jazz which is easy to get into because the doors are quite tall. The CVT automatic on the Jazz is much better than the more recent-semi-automatic transmission.

One other thought - car-sickness is usually the result of soft suspension rather than height: if anything a high-up seating position might be worse than a lower-down firm ride.
Last edited by: Avant on Sun 26 Sep 10 at 20:30
 Recommendations for a friend - bathtub tom
Meriva?
 Recommendations for a friend - BobbyG
Sorry but I would recommend the Scenic, guy along the road has just fot a sweet 57 plate diesel for £5500. You will get a good Scenic for that money.

Something like
www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/renault/scenic/1.6-vvt-expression-5-dr-auto/2007-(07)/ref/arnds-20800/

or if you are feeling confident, get off to an auction and buy a 3 year old ex-motability automatic for a lot less.
 Recommendations for a friend - Iffy
Surprised no one's mentioned a Kangoo, Berlingo or Roomster.
 Recommendations for a friend - -
Kia Carens, proper auto box with Diesel combination too.
 Recommendations for a friend - Bigtee
Honda Jazz these are high up and lots of olf timers drive these as my dad has one.
 Recommendations for a friend - Zero
>> lots of olf timers drive these as my
>> dad has one.

Excellent reason not to have one.
 Recomendations for a friend - L'escargot
The easiest way to alienate a friend is to recommend a car. If the car doesn't live up to your recommendations then the friend will not be happy. I would stay well out of it.
 Recomendations for a friend - Perky Penguin
The learned mollusc is so right! Don't ever sell a car to a friend or recommend a car to them. Opinion and comment are fine - a recommendation is a bad idea
 Recomendations for a friend - Dog
>>The easiest way to alienate a friend is to recommend a car<<

The answer, surely, is to suggest, rather than recommend, that's wot I do anyways.
 Recomendations for a friend - Iffy
...The answer, surely, is to suggest, rather than recommend...

Of course it is.

"You might like a Twonkmobile GLS."

Some people must have some very shallow and feeble-minded friends if they are wary of suggesting a car to them.

Recomendations for a friend - madf
Some people must have some very shallow and feeble-minded friends if they are wary of suggesting a car to them

Hmm people tend to choose friends who are similar in outlook to them :-)

Personally if asked, I offer a range of suggestions and point them to What Car or HJ..
 Recomendations for a friend - Fenlander
Easy for me... I always advise friends to buy the appropriate model Skoda.... oddly I've never owned one myself.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 27 Sep 10 at 09:23
Conversely, I must admit there have been times when i've got a tad annoyed when a member of my family have bought a particular car against my advice!, and me aving been 'into' cars for nigh on 40 years now :)
But, as I stumble into my twilight years lol, I realise i'm still the born again idiot but, wise enough now to know it!
 Recomendations for a friend - Hugo
No one has suggested a Citroen Picasso?

Renault don't have a good reputations WRT reliability, and IMO it's well deserved.

A good 50% of people I know have had significant problems with Renaults over and above what you would expect for cars of that era (I'm talking 02 to 08 at least).

And what's more, I'm one of them. Despite regular servicing a spent turbo on a 4 year old 17k mile trafic derivative van is no laughing matter!
 Recomendations for a friend - L'escargot
>> The answer, surely, is to suggest, rather than recommend, that's wot I do anyways.
>>

It's a fine line between suggesting and recommending. Suggesting something which, after it's been bought, turns out to be a disappointment is a sure way to alienate the friend.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 28 Sep 10 at 14:31
>>Suggesting something which, after it's been bought, turns out to be a disappointment is a sure way to alienate the friend<<

But, suggesting puts the onus on them.
 Recomendations for a friend - Hugo
>> >> The answer, surely, is to suggest, rather than recommend, that's wot I do anyways.
>> >>
>>
>> It's a fine line between suggesting and recommending. Suggesting something which, after it's been bought,
>> turns out to be a disappointment is a sure way to alienate the friend.
>>

Not really - most of us are bright enough to understand that advice when invited is usually meant with the best of intentions.

I give and receive advice all the time. I don't always get it right and neither do any of the people who advise me. And I still have my friends.

The only time when a friendship may be brought into question would be if it is considered that the advice was not given with the advisee's best interests at heart.

A good example of this was when a mate of mine was looking to buy a particular type of car and was pointed 'in the right direction' to a nice little motor for £450. On closer inspection the car was not all it was cracked up to be. Also it turned out that his 'friend' was asked to get a sale by the owner and could keep anything above £300.

My mate distanced himself from this so called 'friend' after that.
Latest Forum Posts