Motoring Discussion > The cost of taking your car abroad Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 30

The cost of taking your car abroad - smokie
Following up on the car hire thread, it is getting quite expensive so I am thinking about taking the EV across - blimey that IS expensive!! £800 for the boat to Spain for me and car. Or £180 ish for the Chunnel but would need some overnights each way.

But I've done a bit of researching (and talking to a buddy on another forum who took a Leaf to Portugal) and at least the charging won'[t be much of a problem on the main routes.

However looking at the maps I'm not sure there are any chargers local to where we normally stay so I might have a 30 mile round trip to charge up when there!!

Still, car hire prices are high at the moment so it may become a cheaper way to go, and I quite fancy the drive.
 The cost of taking your car abroad - legacylad
Likewise.
I was going to take the Focus over to Santander/Bilbao both pre and post Christmas...enjoy the journey ( apart from the long drive to Portsmouth). Very expensive...as previously stated I considered the Newhaven - Dieppe cheaper alternative, but Jet2 from LBA won the day.

Car rental is so expensive at the moment I’m going to network my friends in Spain and possibly buy an older Japanese car and leave it at Alicante airport ...Victoria Parking Charge €290pa and a number of second home owning friends recommend them.
No more worries about scratches, just book a last minute property, jump on a plane, email the company, collect and go.
 The cost of taking your car abroad - Manatee
We have a driving holiday planned this year. 8 nights, 4 of them in Austria and the other 4 are overnights en route there and back. All hotels half board, ferries Dover-Calais. c. £2,000 for the 2 of us which I don't think is bad.
Yes that's pretty good. I just thought it would be cheaper to take my own car than rent locally, but it isn't, even when saving the cost of a flight etc...

We have a motoring trip planned for late April for 3 weeks - France, Netherlands, Germany, Belgium then France to come home.

At the moment the testing requirements are not particularly clear and we have the holiday under review, for the 2nd year in a row! At least this time everything is cancellable and we won't lose money like we did last time!!

(From what we read, we need a test to get into France, where we were simply going to scoot through and straight through Belgium for 5 nights in Holland - but we don't think we are allowed into Belgium at all. Then a test in Holland to get us into Germany - though we might be able to go without if we are travelling from a Schengen country - but because we have been in a high risk within the last 10 days we may need one - then maybe another test t get into Belgium and France to end the holiday. I think we are considering very much "worst case" and of course it may well have changed by then but we are looking at alternative plans anyway.)
 The cost of taking your car abroad - Biggles
To enter Germany from a high risk area, you need to be vaccinated, recovered OR tested (all suitably certificated) and have filled out the electronic form.
That's helpful, thanks. I assume they recognise the UK vaccination certificate.
 The cost of taking your car abroad - Fullchat
"£2,000 for the 2 of us which I don't think is bad."

Are you driving from the UK in your own car or hiring.

Ive done several motorcycling trips down to Austria over 10 days. Don't scrimp on the accommodation but spend nothing like that.

The cost of taking your car abroad - PeterS
It’s around 1,000 miles to Austria depending on destination at start point, so a return trip could easily be £400 in fuel depending on car. If you go though France add £50 or so for tolls. A couple of hundred for the Eurotunnel and that’s £650 gone before hotels and food, so I don’t think £2k is far off is it?
Maybe i shouldn't let Mrs FC see those figures :)

Its funny the mileage thing. A lot of people i know that you ash how many miles they did on an Austria trip all say the same thing "Couple of thousand". The 3 times I've been have all beenwithin 250 miles of each other traveling different routes.
 The cost of taking your car abroad - tyrednemotional
...with the motorhome (and now time on my hands) I have the luxury of making the journey part of the holiday, and not paying much for accommodation. (France/Germany/Belgium will definitely average less than €10 per night, other countries have less scope for cheaper overnights, but one can still find them).

I like to get a good bit away from the coast for the first stop, not being a fan of Northern France, or much of Belgium, for exploration. We let serendipity rule, and rarely fail to find somewhere on our travels that doesn't merit a day or two's exploration.

We generally gravitate towards the mountains (Alps/Dolomites/Pyrenees) but bimble down, adjusting our progress in accordance with the weather forecast, and what we find on the way (often targeting wine-growing areas - I wonder why?).

For the German Alps/Austria, it has become our habit to head across Belgium from Calais, pass Liege, and head south down the "E42/60" via Verviers/Malmedy towards the Mosel. This because of a combination of toll-free roads (the motorhome is charged higher than a car on French Autoroutes), the Mosel being a motorhome "playground" and a wine-growing area, and the "E42/60" being lightly-trafficked for a motorway standard route (and also quite scenic). The only real potential bottleneck is the Brussels Ring (and that is rather time-dependent).

I'm not sure whether it will remain quite so attractive, as the road used to end rather abruptly North of the Mosel, and drop you into a slower, but pleasant traverse back onto the lower German Autobahn network. A spectacular bridge (Hochmoselbrücke) over the Mosel has been under construction for some years, and this opened just prior to the pandemic. Having joined things up somewhat, the road might not be as quiet as it was. If it is, then it will remain a recommended route. Roughly the same time/distance as through France, but toll-free and relatively quiet roads after Liege. (You do have to put up with some Belgian driving, though ;-) )
>>Are you driving from the UK in your own car or hiring.

Own car, and fuel of course.

We did a 9 night trip to Garda in 2018 through the same agent (Scenic Car Tours). That was £1800 so it has gone up a bit.

www.sceniccartours.com/austria-highlights
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 10 Feb 22 at 19:15
 The cost of taking your car abroad - Boxsterboy
6 of us heading down to the French Alps on Saturday in the Merc V(i)an(o). Cross Climate tyres fitted and chains at the ready - waaay cheaper than flying at half term and much more fun. Bit of a milestone as it’s the last time a ski trip will be dictated by school hols as our youngest sits A-levels this summer.
 The cost of taking your car abroad - Terry
It's not just about the cost.

Last time we took the Bilbao Portsmouth ferry it was delayed 12 hours due to Force 11 and 12 storms in Biscay. Stopped at Plymouth rather than Portsmouth (as scheduled) to catch up time and offload the injured to waiting ambulances. Not a fun journey or a cruise to the sun (as the brochure would have it).

Have also tried the Cherbourg crossing - shorter but you then have 700 miles of toll infested autoroute with an extra nights stop. Some parts of France may offer civilised and pleasant accommodation - but not hotels we tried. May be better 20 miles off the motorway.

Up to 2 or 3 weeks fly and hire probably wins financially. If going for 5 or 6 weeks taking the car means cheaper and no limits on luggage. Cost of flying depends on (a) number travelling, and (b) season (schools hols etc). We are completely flexible so can pick the best deals.

Next time we take the car will try Eurotunnel and drive. No bouncy waves and will plan a couple of better stays en-route.
 The cost of taking your car abroad - Runfer D'Hills
I always do the short crossing Dover or Folkestone to Calais. French motorways are so much easier to use than British ones.
 The cost of taking your car abroad - Runfer D'Hills
… much prefer the tunnel over anything though, I’ve been social distancing for decades ! ;-)
 The cost of taking your car abroad - Mike H
Manatee, I don't know whether you've driven in Austria before, but don't forget you need a vignette for the autobahns in Austria. They've recently introduced a digital version, which you can order in advance (it doesn't become valid for about 14 days due to the distance selling regulations). It might save time and hassle on the way, but you can also buy them at service stations in Germany before you get to the Austrian border, or indeed at the border. Here's a link to the details in English:

www.asfinag.at/en/toll/vignette/

Also, be aware that dash cams are illegal here. I live in Austria, so if I can help in any way just ask :-)

Where are you visiting in Austria?
 The cost of taking your car abroad - Bobby
What’s the reason for dashcams being illegal?
Civil liberties?
>> What’s the reason for dashcams being illegal?
>> Civil liberties?
>>
I guess so. Austria is a bit hot on that type of thing.
 The cost of taking your car abroad - Zero
>> >> What’s the reason for dashcams being illegal?
>> >> Civil liberties?
>> >>
>> I guess so. Austria is a bit hot on that type of thing.

has been since 1945......
>> I don't know whether you've driven in Austria

Thanks for the offer of advice, suggestions welcome.

Not much, we passed through Austria on the Garda trip. I did actually have the vignette, and of course the Swiss one.

Now you mention it I have heard of the dashcam thing although it never crossed my mind in 2018 and I did have one mounted.

The hotel is in Kirchberg. We have 4 nights there. I expect we'll take in the Grossglockner and visit Salzburg but beyond that I've not given it any thought yet.

>> The hotel is in Kirchberg. We have 4 nights there. I expect we'll take in
>> the Grossglockner and visit Salzburg but beyond that I've not given it any thought yet.
>>

...the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse is well worth a visit, but you need decent weather. It's not that the road is difficult (though I "smoked" the brakes on the way down last time I went over, 4 years ago - 4th time in a motorcaravan) but you need the views to get best value. I'd suggest going all the way over, down to Heiligenblut, and possibly return via the Felbertauern Tunnel. It's a good day's drive, 250km or so, but a very scenic round trip.

I first visited Salzburg over 40 years ago, and a good few times since. It gets less attractive each time because, like many other places now, it suffers from over-tourism. Don't let that put you off, it is still a good place for a day visit, made all the better because it is of manageable size (very walkable). If you want an interesting experience (particularly if you can find the back entrance on Augustinergasse) try the Augustinerbrau for food and drink.

If you fancy a shortish trip into Germany, the area round Berchtesgaden has various points of interest, including Hitler's "Eagles Nest" (worth it if the view is clear), and the Königssee (possibly with a boat trip).

And, if you want a bit of sightseeing combined with exercise, I'm a fan of the Ötztal, with the walk up to the Stuibenfall from Umhausen leading to a spectacular set of (free) suspension bridges and viewing platforms (not for anyone who suffers from vertigo) with a Gasthof at the top for refreshments.

Zell am See would probably suit if you just want a short drive and a promenade.
>>...the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse is well worth a visit, but you need decent weather...et al.

Thanks for (all) that. We're going in September, if spared and permitted.

All suggestions duly noted.

>> All suggestions duly noted.
>>
That’s what I like about this place...friendly folk happy to provide information on all manner of things.

It’s probably 4 years now since I visited the Alps, walking the GR5 from the Chamonix valley to Briancon.
About time I returned....I tried to organise a group walking trip, centre based, to Austria pre Covid but it came to naught. I’ll try again this year.
I'd agree with the comments about the Grossglockner. There's also a motor museum at the Franz Josef Höhe, where you can look down at what's left of the Pasterze glacier. You take a spur road to get there. The parking is all free in the multi storey car park. During the drive there are several free exhibitions, mainly about the flora and fauna.

Lastly, be aware that the Felbertauern road is also a toll road, but you can get a combination ticket for both which is cheaper than buying individually.
>> ..... where you can look down at what's left of the Pasterze glacier.

...it would be 30 years ago that I first went up there - there is noticeably less glacier than there used to be. (It's still a good for marmot spotting, though ;-) )

>> Lastly, be aware that the Felbertauern road is also a toll road, but you can
>> get a combination ticket for both which is cheaper than buying individually.
>>

...yes, though ostensibly part of the "public" road network, that tunnel isn't covered even by the Vignette.
 The cost of taking your car abroad - sherlock47
>>>nd possibly buy an older Japanese car and leave it at Alicante airport ..<<<<

Is car ownership/registration (by a non-resident) allowed in Spain?

Not allowed in France. Another benefit of Brexshit.? Not saying that it is not widely abused, but potential for insurance issues/police injvolvement.

Yes.

I have several walking friends who own second homes in Spain. Have done for years, and don’t hold residencia.

They own cars on Spanish plates...all fully legal. Only last December two of them bought a new car in the UK....drove their old RHD over to Spain and transferred it onto Spanish plates. It wasn’t a cheap process, but relatively straight forward.
Their old car was a known quantity, far cheaper than anything they could buy in Spain, the only downside being it was RHD.

They keep it at the airport....email the storage company with flight details, 4 minutes shuttle bus to the off airport site where it’s waiting outside the reception. The company can valet it and put it through the ITV ( MOT) should you wish.
Having visited Austria twice now on the motorbike I can only echo what has been recommended.

The Hallein Salt Mine at Durnburg, South of Saltzburg, is recommended but I've not been :)

Grossglockner up and over the one way is recommended also but the weather can be somwhat different. We set off in 30+ degrees from Mayrhofen to a cold and wet Grossglockner, Still worth it though.

Little bit North is Neues Schloss Herrenchiemsee on Lake Chiemsee. If you like grand stately homes on islands. Palace of King Ludwig If I recall.
Mayrhofen! Wow!!! I'd forgotten that name!!! I went on a school ski trip there nearly 50 years ago!! Was just a small place IIRC, with a slot car racing shop in town where we spent a bit of time and money.
We were working on a 'Just in Time' accommodation booking after the first night. Due to the heat we decided to cut that day, from Fussen, short and one of the group had been there skiing. It was off season and we stayed in a nice guest house where he had stayed. There was only us in there. Decided to stay 2 nights so the second day we went across to the Gross and returned, Some cracking roads and scenery.
In Austria, in early summer, you cant help but be aware of what seem like the constant of the smell of manure being spread on the land. But the scenery makes up for it :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 13 Feb 22 at 21:54
Latest Forum Posts