Motoring Discussion > Land Rover - Prototype seen Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 19

Land Rover - Prototype seen - R.P.
I knew it was as it said so on the back ! All black Landie of some sort. Even the rear light units were blacked out and only showed up when they were activated. Seriously sharp looking apeing the original classic Rangies.
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - Bobby
This one?
www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/motoring/motoring-news/gallery/prototype-range-rover-spotted-outside-22633081
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - Robin O'Reliant
What an ugly slab of metal.
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - Rudedog
I saw something near me probably 6 months ago as I drove home one evening which I'm sure was a LR dressed in the black & white camo, very odd as I'm on the edge of Kent and no where near any of their bases.
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - zippy
I tried putting a loan together for a company in Essex that was assisting A nearby car manufacturer with a spin off of their super mini. Full sized clay model and lots of computers.

The car became a blend of ideas.

The same manufacturer was using an engineering firm in South Kent to prototype a 4x4 system for their vans.

It was interesting seeing it all being made.

More recently in the midlands a subcontractor was making bodies for and assembling a niche small sports car for a British company - that was cool. They also had clay and cast aluminium models for design changes for larger manufacturers - sort of facelifts.

Another client makes diesel injectors to very high tolerances for several companies.

Sometimes I have seen a part being worked on that makes it to a model that I’ve recognised. The first mentioned one was on the road for a few years with some minor changes to make it a little more “staid” or I’ve seen that brake light or dashboard being designed.

Then there’s the run of the mill component manufacturers for vehicles who make door hinges, panels, trays, radiators, brake pipes etc all to strict just in time arrangements.

It’s always good to spend a little time walking around factories.

Land Rover - Prototype seen - Zero
>> What an ugly slab of metal.

Keep taking the tablets.
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - Bobby
I’m sure I saw a Harry’s video of this Range Rover a few months ago??
Can’t be that much of a prototype!
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - PeterS
I think RP is referring to a different vehicle to the silver Range Rover linked to a above - that’s ‘just’ the new Range Rover which is already on sale and, I think, on the roads.
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - Duncan
This bloke www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uMk40IcacA
is always going on about Range rovers if that sort of thing interests you.

His videos are, er, um, what shall I say? Niche? would that be the word? Biased? Selective, perhaps. Any road, you can make your own mind up.
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - tyrednemotional
...if it was a Land Rover (rather than Range Rover) there have been fairly strong rumours for some time of a "Baby" Defender in the offing, taking much of it's styling cues from the current Defender, but smaller and more "stripped-out" for its entry-level role.

If it is so, then it is likely that prototypes would be in testing now.
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - Boxsterboy
I had to drive up the M40 to Birmingham last Sunday and again yesterday, and on both trips I spotted a new Range Rover near Gaydon. If you thought the current model was big, this looked even bigger. Waitrose car parks rejoice!
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - Duncan
LandRover owners are very defenively loyal. But why would you buy one with that reliability record?

Why not a nice Toyota? A Landcruiser or Highlander? What is the logic behind the buying decisions of LandRover owners? I really don't get it?
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - Runfer D'Hills
One Life, Ruin it.
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - Zero
>> LandRover owners are very defenively loyal. But why would you buy one with that reliability
>> record?
>>
>> Why not a nice Toyota? A Landcruiser or Highlander? What is the logic behind the
>> buying decisions of LandRover owners? I really don't get it?

You need to drive one. Then you get it.
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - Runfer D'Hills
I had a Defender for a while many years ago. Loved it at the time. Wouldn’t have one now though. Not one of the old ones anyway.
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - PeterS
>> LandRover owners are very defenively loyal. But why would you buy one with that reliability
>> record?
>>
>> Why not a nice Toyota? A Landcruiser or Highlander? What is the logic behind the
>> buying decisions of LandRover owners? I really don't get it?
>>

Nothing else on the market has the same all round ability as a proper Range Rover, that’s why. A Toyota Landcruiser is a very poor substitute, in terms of looks, off road ability, on road ability, comfort, ambience or feel good factor. I’m surprised that owners put up with level of problems, but they do. I know a few people who are serial buyers of them, since they first came out. Change them every 4 or 5 years, and put up with the faults. Not that the last few have been any worse than most cars I don’t think. And to be fair, why would Land Rover spend more on reliability when the people who buy them are happy, and there’s a waiting list for pretty much all models! Your average buyer of a full sized Range Rover undoubtedly has other cars as well, so they probably don’t even notice that they spend a bit too much time at the dealers ;)
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - sooty123
They're not really in the same as a Toyota, LR are a bit more of a luxury vehicle than a Landcruiser. Reliability wise they're nothing on a Toyota, LR are pretty garbage on that front. Defenders are like anything else that has a history, they have a following. I don't get it, but they are fairly popular in certain circles.
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - legacylad
Defenders aplenty in the Dales farming communities. Most battered and elderly. No real alternatives, although a few farmers in my vicinity used to own Daihatsu Fourtraks.

My own N reg Defender 90, which I owned for 6 months, was an experience. Never let me down but neither was it used in proper off road situations. As a vehicle for ‘normal’ day to day use I was glad to see the back of it, selling it on to a LR enthusiast friend.
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - Manatee
>> My own N reg Defender 90, which I owned for 6 months, was an experience.
>> Never let me down but neither was it used in proper off road situations. As
>> a vehicle for ‘normal’ day to day use I was glad to see the back
>> of it, selling it on to a LR enthusiast friend.

I had a Series 3 for a while. Kind of liked it but as a substitute for a regular car they have nothing going for them and consequently it didn't get used much. Noisy, uncomfortable, slow, needed very careful use of the brakes, used loads of fuel, dropped oil everywhere, let water in. Apart from that it was great.
 Land Rover - Prototype seen - Dog
I tuned 'em all back in the day - LR/RR/Land Cruiser/Shogun,N Patrol/Lada Niva etc.

The old Landies were worse than awful to drive on the road, IMO. Course, the RR was bestist.

I owned a rather nice white auto Disco at one time. A local farmer referred to it as rusty money :)
Latest Forum Posts