Motoring Discussion > Taxing whilst overseas Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 2

Taxing whilst overseas - legacylad
I need to renew the tax on Henry 1st April.....I’m overseas, but return that day after 6+ weeks in ( hopefully) sunny Spain.
I don’t think putting on a SORN notice whilst I’m away from mid February is worth the effort to save a months tax, currently £155pa. Or if the mechanics allow. Presumably I’d get a refund for one months tax (March) whilst the car is in my garage ? Is that correct ?

I’ll take a copy of the V5C to Spain and set up a monthly DD...hoping that I don’t forget to do so...if I do and only remember on my return when I see the renewal notice in the 6 week pile of mail it’s too late and there will be a financial penalty.
 Taxing whilst overseas - tyrednemotional
...you can tax up to 2 months in advance if you are prepared to do it by post/paper......

....but, given how easy it is online, I'm not sure why you'd want to.

Online can be done from the 5th of the previous month, and needs only the Registration and the 11 digit code off the V5C. Can't you just put a reminder (on your 'phone or whatever) and do it that way?

www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-advance

Taxing whilst overseas - Bromptonaut
If it expires on 31-03-22 and you renew in early April I very much doubt you'll be penalised.

They do a sweep for unpaid tax after month or so after renewal is due which feeds into the continuous enforcement thing.
Latest Forum Posts