Motoring Discussion > Am I mad? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 12

Am I mad? - Zero
www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202111089338141

I really fancy this, It looks ok, Would make a great dog van / tow car
 Am I mad? - RichardW
MOT history looks OK, smacks of a well looked after / lightly used car, no sign of rust If you can afford to lose the money when the box goes bang, and can live with 10 MPG, and like the Beeeeeige interior, then why not?
 Am I mad? - smokie
Crumbs, I thought my car was ugly enough...!!!
 Am I mad? - Manatee
Pal has a 4.6 V8 Range Rover of a similar vintage, maybe a bit older. It actually does 18-20 mpg according to the computer(18 when he drives it, 20 when I do), and it's an auto.

He bought it cheaply maybe 15 years ago, but it has cost some money. Electrics and air suspension mainly. He tows a car trailer with it so needs a decent towing weight.

Personally I think autos are better for towing but that's not so important when you have a low box.

They are great things to ride around in but the overheads just don't make sense for a lightweight caravan unless money is almost irrelevant and/or you do very modest mileage. Put aside £1,000 a year for repairs and cross your fingers that's all you need.
 Am I mad? - Runfer D'Hills
Mad?

Yes, barking. Totally unhinged. Just don’t. Hilarious as it would be for the rest of us.
 Am I mad? - MD
Thirsty very. Wallowy. Slow. Thirsty. And ruddy expensive when it goes wrong.

Next please..............
 Am I mad? - R.P.
Get a Landcruiser.
 Am I mad? - Duncan
>> And ruddy expensive when it goes wrong.
>>

Oh!

Do they go wrong then?
 Am I mad? - PeterS
It’ll be fine I’m sure - I’d go for it! As a reference, in summer 2020 my brother bought a Y reg Range Rover Vogue 4.6 as a bit of fun. Buying moderately interesting old cars occasionally seems to run in the family…. Anyway, it’s been, mainly, fine. The odd gremlin but he’s willing to tinker, and happy to pay a man for the dirty/technical/difficult stuff. It’s been regularly serviced, cosmetically sorted outside, and rather pointlessly had the 20 year old sat nav system repaired. He reckons it’s cost around £150 a month in servicing, tyres, repairs and enhancements. These things are mechanically very simple. It’s rather thirsty though…. And, has just been sold and replaced with a supercharged Jaguar XKR convertible…
 Am I mad? - Kevin
4.2 or 5.0?
 Am I mad? - PeterS
4.2 I believe - it’s a ‘56 plate, so a little younger than the Range Rover!
 Am I mad? - Fullchat
Looks tidy. Always enjoyed driving a Disco. Do it!!
 Am I mad? - zippy
>>Am I mad?

That's an interesting question to ask here! :-)

It's not my cup of tea, but sometimes you just need to go for something that you want.

I'd say it's £5k, not £25k. Have some fun and take a chance.

Latest Forum Posts