Motoring Discussion > Direct Line - Auto Renewal Mess Up Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 4

Direct Line - Auto Renewal Mess Up - Bromptonaut
For the last couple of years my Fabia has been insured with Direct Line.

Earlier this month I received an email inviting renewal. This linked me through to their website with a premium broadly the same as last year, c£250, with a clear statement that it would auto renew on 29-01-21.

Explored other quotes via (a) a local broker and (b) a comparison site. Former was less than DL but only £15 or so. Latter was Hastings Direct at £202. That was however a fairly basic policy and my previous experience with Admiral group is that they find reasons to jack up their quotes once your passed to them from the comparison site. Decided to leave as is.

I then got two letters from DL suggesting renewal action might be needed.

Rang them this morning. System, like that for Universal Credit, obsessively assumes you can go on line; I'd already tried their 'chat bot' and found it useless. After a 20 minute wait I was advised they could not auto renew as no bank details held.....

Now done and paid over the phone (a pullava of its own) and complaint made.

Wonder what their attitude would be if I'd relied on auto-renewal and then got pulled via ANPR...
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 24 Jan 22 at 11:00
 Direct Line - Auto Renewal Mess Up - zippy
>> Wonder what their attitude would be if I'd relied on auto-renewal and then got pulled
>> via ANPR...
>>

Go to goal and don’t pass go!

My buildings and contents insurance gets auto-renewed as I’m getting forgetful in my old

I realised fairly recently that if your payment details are by card, updated card details are provided to major (reputable?) organisations via a monthly update service (expiry dates etc).
Last edited by: zippy on Mon 24 Jan 22 at 11:12
 Direct Line - Auto Renewal Mess Up - Zero

>> I realised fairly recently that if your payment details are by card, updated card details
>> are provided to major (reputable?) organisations via a monthly update service (expiry dates etc).

Not always, be careful there, a reissue of a card will cause agro somewhere.
 Direct Line - Auto Renewal Mess Up - legacylad
Especially if it’s a yellow card
 Direct Line - Auto Renewal Mess Up - PeterS
Apropos Direct Line administrative competence, they were incredibly slow to pay a bodyshop that fixed one of Andrews cars after one of his many incidents. Though, the one in question wasn’t his fault… the DHL lorry was to blame. Anyway, it took them over a year, which understandably the owner (who by then I was on first name terms with…) wasn’t happy with! Over 10 years ago now, but maybe not much has changed.

As an aside, I believe the word you’re looking for is palaver isn’t it?

dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/palaver
Latest Forum Posts