Motoring Discussion > Hyundai i30 - Sunroofs and the U.K. market
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 23

Hyundai i30 - Sunroofs and the U.K. market - legacylad
So annoying....I’ve always tried to buy cars with a large opening sunroof...preferably a pano type which allows an airy cabin feel.
Hyundai, in their wisdom, don’t offer it as an option on the i30 N range. Infuriating when it is available overseas ...standard on the Premium model.
At the moment it’s a deal breaker....I’m getting too old to compromise on stuff I really like.

As Dick Dastardly would say..”drat, double drat and triple drat”.
 Hyundai i30 - Sunroofs and the U.K. market - Runfer D'Hills
That is a pity. I agree with you LL, natural light in the cabin makes for a much improved driving experience in my opinion.
As someone who regularly makes long journeys, I find that I feel much fresher at the end of one spent in a car with a glass roof than in one that keeps me the shade.

And, of course on warm days it’s lovely to get the extra fresh air if you can open it too.
 Hyundai i30 - Sunroofs and the U.K. market - CGNorwich
I agree that a panoramic sunroof is nice is a nice experience; lack of light is always a depressing experience. Not sure about the need for opening roofs or indeed windows though . With modern AC you really don't want to open windows at all . Indeed I think I would be happy to buy a car in which only the driver's windows opened. You don't need them for ventilation any more and they cause a lot of noise and drag when used when the car is moving at any speed. You can't open the indows on a train or aeroplane after all.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 17 Jan 22 at 14:23
 Hyundai i30 - Sunroofs and the U.K. market - BiggerBadderDave
"With modern AC you really don't want to open windows at all"

Fag ash. Escaping a submerged car. Drive-thru. Dogs having fun. Dogs overheating in a car park...
Depends on where when and how I’m driving. At motorway speeds I’ll probably have everything closed and rely on the climate control to do its thing.
Pottering about at lower speeds on a nice day, sunroof and possibly even windows open to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. Horses / courses etc.
 Hyundai i30 - Sunroofs and the U.K. market - Rudedog
OK an i30 N.... go on get a proper GTi... they come with pan-roofs if you want ;)

(Although there's now a one year build for a Mk8 or CS)

>> OK an i30 N.... go on get a proper GTi... they come with pan-roofs if
>> you want ;)

Had a Mk1 Gti (AUM 880X) decades ago, followed by an Audi 80 Sport (B626 VCX) with same underpinnings. Even an early 205 Gti (B211 UCP).
Whenever I change my cars I often consider renewing my acquaintance with a Golf Gti...I’ve often been tempted, and should I ever go down that route it would be the Mk 7.5.

Never say never, just not at the moment
 Hyundai i30 - Sunroofs and the U.K. market - Rudedog
I've had my 7.5 GTi for nearly a year and a half and it's the best drivers car I ever had, add to that it's worth the same if not more than what I paid (not that I'll ever sell).
 Hyundai i30 - Sunroofs and the U.K. market - Bill Payer
>> >> OK an i30 N.... go on get a proper GTi... they come with pan-roofs if you want ;)
>>

Probably OK with a VW pan roof if you change cars every three years, but otherwise they seem a massive can of worms with either leaks or rattles (or both).

We have a Jazz in the family that has a large fixed glass roof and that's very nice - certainly little kids love it as it extends back over their heads. Honda have dropped it on the latest models though.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Tue 18 Jan 22 at 15:44
 Hyundai i30 - Sunroofs and the U.K. market - PeterS
Only a datapoint of one, but the panoramic roof in our PHEV A3 was not only great from a cabin ambience perpective, but was completely rattle and leak free for the nearly 4 years we had it. Though I’ve never had a car with sunroof that ever leaked, so perhaps it’s just me!

I also like a car with a sunroof, though it needs to be glass. I remember some of my early BMWs had metal sunroofs, which I wasn’t so keen on. In fact I’ve just remembered that we had a Megane convertible with a folding panoramic glass (and metal) roof which, while also leak free, was a pleasant thing to waft around in roof up or down. It was no ball of fire, but it rode and handled sweetly and it also didn’t rattle. Now I have a reasonable degree of mechanical sympathy, but it was Andrews car and he was as unsympathetic as it is possible to be from a car perpective but still didn’t manage to break any of his cars. Crash them, yes. But they all worked as they should mechanically and electrically when he’d finished with them, and none of them rattled. Mainly German, though 4 were French and 2 British (if MINI counts as British…). They were all serviced properly though…maybe that helps? I remember that lubricating the panoramic roof mechanism was a service item on the MINI, Audi and BMWs…none of my Merc estates had a sunroof so I don’t know about them.
 Hyundai i30 - Sunroofs and the U.K. market - Bromptonaut
My experience with Skodas, first the Roomster and later the Fabia is that the full but fixed glass panoramic roof greatly improved cabin ambience/airiness. Neither has leaked and both have sun
blinds for the odd day when the sun blazing through the roof is too much. The Roomie's extended a tad further forwards than in the Fabia's which gives slightly less airiness over the driver's seat.

The first (2005) Berlingo did not have a completely panoramic roof but panels of glass as part of the Desire trim's Modutop roof was a bonus too.

Going back much further I had an after market sunhatch fitted in my Peugeot 104ZS c1983. Made a big difference in a small and slightly claustrophobic interior. It could be popped open at the rear to improve ventilation or removed completely. The latter though created a booming noise at anything over 40mph as air forced in through the roof escaped in bursts.

Just occasionally it would admit a few drips of rain through the nearside front seal - an oddity of a particular slope when parked in heavy rain.
No, it’s not just you Peter, I’ve had a lot of cars with sunroofs and none of them have ever leaked.
I’d always spec a pano roof if available. I love the light in the cabin and the option to open it on a nice day.
To be honest I just like being “outside” whenever possible, when I’m working from home I set myself up at a garden table if the weather is suitable. Strategically positioned sun brolly to shade the laptop screen and I’m sorted.
Sometimes sleep outside on hot nights too. Don’t like being indoors much unless the weather and temperature dictates.
 Hyundai i30 - Sunroofs and the U.K. market - bathtub tom
You like the taste of hedgehog baked in mud?
More of a granola and Greek yoghurt sort of bloke in truth.
Pottering about at lower speeds on a nice day, sunroof and possibly even windows open to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine. Horses / courses etc.

I guess so but I tend to rely on the air-conditioning. It is noticieable that in hot countries few drive with the windows open and convertible cars aren't popular
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 17 Jan 22 at 17:15

>> Fag ash. Escaping a submerged car. Drive-thru. Dogs having fun. Dogs overheating in a car

Yes well I dont smoke, never bought a burger at a drive-through in my life , don't have a dog and never driven my car into a lake and I did actually say apart from the driver's window.
 Hyundai i30 - Sunroofs and the U.K. market - Robin O'Reliant
I can't stand aircon, I end up with my eyes and nose running after ten minutes. I don't think it's the healthiest thing in the world either, give me fresh air any day.
 Hyundai i30 - Sunroofs and the U.K. market - Dog
>>give me fresh air any day.

Good to hear you've given up the fags at last, Robin.
 Hyundai i30 - Sunroofs and the U.K. market - VxFan
>> I can't stand aircon

I run it all year round. Well climate control. Cannot stand a hot stuffy car. Also stops the windows misting up in winter.

Even my office at work has it, much to the annoyance of some of my sweaty colleagues in the 28°C+ open plan areas ;)
 Hyundai i30 - Sunroofs and the U.K. market - Zero
>> I can't stand aircon, I end up with my eyes and nose running after ten
>> minutes. I don't think it's the healthiest thing in the world either, give me fresh
>> air any day.

No such thing in the home counties. I love aircon
 Hyundai i30 - Sunroofs and the U.K. market - Clk Sec
>> I love aircon

Me, too. It's on permanently in my almost 20 year old Japanese barge, and it's never been a problem.
I’ve had sunroofs on far more cars than those without....years ago they were the front hinged variety, then the manual wind back variety, now glass pano type with blind.

I can’t recall any ever leaking.

Informed yesterday that the delivery time for a new i30 Fastback N is 8 months...but as it isn’t available in the U.K. market with a pano roof that’s purely academic now.
 Hyundai i30 - Sunroofs and the U.K. market - sooty123
I think I've only owned one car with a sunroof, I think i only used it a handful of times. I remember it being loud with it open. The drains blocked up a few times as well and caused a leak inside. Pretty rare these days sunroofs or the panoramic types. I think quite a few of the french manufacturers fit them.
I have more car owning friends with either pano or traditional sunroofs than without. I can think of 7 off the top of my head. Plus 3 friends with convertibles which is their only car.

Mind you, my pal with the Disco Sport didn’t realise his pano roof didn’t open when he ordered it. Nor does the one on the Nissan Cashcow ( he knew it didn’t open).
Latest Forum Posts