Motoring Discussion > Fuel Prices Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 46

Fuel Prices - Bobby
Why are they so high just now? And why is there very little in the media about them (certainly I haven’t seen much).
Did the suppliers stage manage the shortage last month to push prices up?
Usually when they get to a high level there is all sorts of pressures applied to bring them back down again.
Diesel just about hitting £1.50 a litre here.
 Fuel Prices - legacylad
Paid €1.57 litre for 95 octane petrol today in Spain.
Still lots of old diesel cars knocking around...my 2006 Megane Cabrio loaner is doing around 30 mpg in mixed driving, and I’m racking up the miles.

Daren’t put the roof down in case it doesn’t go back up.
 Fuel Prices - Boxsterboy
I suspect that there is less sympathy to keeping fuel prices down in government circles as part of the push towards electrification.
 Fuel Prices - Robbie34
Fuel prices are high due to OPEC refusing to increase supply.

In today's papers it's reported that the UK, EU, China and other countries are releasing oil reserves in order to bring down the price by saturating the oil market.
 Fuel Prices - PeterS
Also while high in absolute terms in real terms petrol is still cheaper than it was 10 or 20 years ago…. The following only goes back to 2013, but the RAC reckon it’s only just gone above the price it was in 2013, excluding CPI/RPI

www.racfoundation.org/data/uk-pump-prices-over-time
 Fuel Prices - Bobby
Don’t get me wrong, when folk are willing to pay £1.50 for a bottle of water, the petrol and diesel seem dirt cheap in comparison!
 Fuel Prices - Fullchat
The heating oil (kerosene) tank is starting to look like a requirement for replenishing. Currently looking at 49p /Ltr + VAT. I've still got a sticky note attached to my screen with price fluctuations in 2020. Lowest was 18.45p + VAT 0n 29/4/20.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 24 Nov 21 at 13:03
 Fuel Prices - neiltoo
In about 1966 it was 3/6 per gallon.
Could fill up my Mini for just over a quid - but couldn't afford to.

Anyone got the RPI index for the current value of 3/6)
 Fuel Prices - neiltoo
Looks like £68.46

£100 in 66 is £1965 now

So that would be about £15 per litre.

No wonder I couldnt afford to fill it!
 Fuel Prices - neiltoo
Bole Axe!

£1 in1966 is £19.65

So 3/6 is £6.87

Strangely, this is £1.50 per gallon!
Last edited by: neiltoo on Wed 24 Nov 21 at 13:20
 Fuel Prices - No FM2R
£1 in1966 is £19.65

So 3/6 is £6.87

3/6 = 17.5p

If £1 = £19.65 then 3/6 = £19.65 * 17.5/100 = £3.44

So, something is wrong. Did you translate 3/6 to 36p?

Using www.inflationtool.com/british-pound/1966-to-present-value 17.5p in 1966 is £2.80 now

£2.80 for a gallon is 62p a litre.

Or has my early morning coffee not kicked in yet?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 24 Nov 21 at 13:37
 Fuel Prices - PeterS
I haven’t checked this, but the following table seems to cover most of what we are looking at. It stops in May 2021 though, and prices have risen a chunk since then…

www.speedlimit.org.uk/petrolprices.html

Even so, petrol seems to cost roughly what it did in 1983, though it got a lot cheaper in the 90’s in real terms.
 Fuel Prices - Zero
Seem to recall, bout three years ago was it? prices plummeted, we were looking at falling below £1 a litre.
 Fuel Prices - Robin O'Reliant
>> Seem to recall, bout three years ago was it? prices plummeted, we were looking at
>> falling below £1 a litre.
>>

I believe that was during the first lockdown.
 Fuel Prices - Bromptonaut
>> I believe that was during the first lockdown.

Fallen close to £1/litre a couple of times I think. IIRC I filled up for something like £1.02/l at a Harvest station in Bedworth when taking the caravan in for work at the selling dealer. Must be 3-4 years since Pedley's went down the tubes.
 Fuel Prices - Crankcase
Was in Pease Pottage services earlier today (not for petrol, and indeed not for Pottage) but noticed it was an eye watering 1.67 for ordinary four star stuff. I filled up at Tesco two days ago for 1.49 and thought that was pushing it.

Yes, and I also remember Michael Barratt on Nationwide telling us it was looking as though petrol might hit four bob a gallon.

Jaunty little theme tune, that had, remember?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO0GQrYV5oQ
 Fuel Prices - Duncan
>>
>> Yes, and I also remember Michael Barratt on Nationwide telling us it was looking as
>> though petrol might hit four bob a gallon.

Wow! that takes me back.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7445505/The-truth-TVs-Nationwide-scenes-classic-1970s-teatime-show.html

Barratt on the left, Bob Wellings on the right in the photo. Apropos of SFA, I used to work with Wellings' brother.
 Fuel Prices - helicopter
If you had driven 2 miles down the A23 into Crawley Sainsburys from Pease Pottage Crankcase you could have bought petrol around 1.40 for a litre. I paid 1.41.9 for diesel. Petrol was cheaper but I cannot remember exact price.
In Tenerife last week petrol was €1.17 a litre so it seems strange that LL was paying so much more in mainland Spain.
 Fuel Prices - Lygonos
www.globalpetrolprices.com/Spain/gasoline_prices/

1.49 Euro

Anyhoos, what is this 'fuel prices' you speak of?
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 24 Nov 21 at 21:02
 Fuel Prices - legacylad
Canaries have different taxation to mainland Spain. For one reason and another I was flying to Tenerife several times a year pre Covid and fuel was always ridiculously cheap.
Filled up again today in Denia at €1.57 litre for 95 octane.
 Fuel Prices - smokie
I remember being on a Canaries cruise some years back and they filled at La Palma cos it was so cheap.
 Fuel Prices - tyrednemotional
...crikey; I bet there was a bit of a queue behind that....
 Fuel Prices - Bromptonaut
>> I remember being on a Canaries cruise some years back and they filled at La
>> Palma cos it was so cheap.

ISTR the Canaries have a status vis a vis Spain similar to that of Jersey and UK; low tax is a selling point.
 Fuel Prices - bathtub tom
Doesn't Gibraltar have a similar advantage for large vessels?
 Fuel Prices - Kevin
Something going cheap in Canaries? Did anyone tweet it?
 Fuel Prices - No FM2R
I cannot compete with all those puns so I'll just point out that the Islands get their names from dogs, not birds.

The Spanish Isle of Dogs, in fact.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 25 Nov 21 at 19:33
 Fuel Prices - Kevin
Don't be ridiculous.

If they got their names from dogs they would be called something like "The Spaniel Islands".
 Fuel Prices - No FM2R
Like the people from Alsace?
 Fuel Prices - Zero
>> I cannot compete with all those puns so I'll just point out that the Islands
>> get their names from dogs, not birds.
>>
>> The Spanish Isle of Dogs, in fact.

It should be the isla de perros in that case.
 Fuel Prices - No FM2R
Don't be so literal, or singular - Islas Canarias from the Latin Canariae Insulae, which means Islands of dogs, or at least it did to the Romans when the King of Mauritania was talking about them.

The Canary bird is, in fact, named after the Islands.
 Fuel Prices - Zero
And the Isle of dogs has nothing to do with dogs, or Romans or the sodding King of millwall
 Fuel Prices - No FM2R
What is the origin of the Isle of Dogs?
 Fuel Prices - Runfer D'Hills
>> What is the origin of the Isle of Dogs?

It's where people from Barking used to go for their holidays ?
 Fuel Prices - Dog
>>It's where people from Barking used to go for their holidays ?

V/good.

:o)
 Fuel Prices - Kevin
>..Islas Canarias from the Latin Canariae Insulae, which means Islands
>of dogs, or at least it did to the Romans when the King of Mauritania
>was talking about them.

History and Geography aren't your stong points are they? The Romans were from Italy not Spain.

>What is the origin of the Isle of Dogs?

See? I think you're getting your Canary Islands mixed up with Canary Wharf.
 Fuel Prices - Terry
The Roman empire extended across North Africa and it is they to whom the "discovery" of the Canary Isands is attributed.
 Fuel Prices - Kevin
The Canary Islands were "discovered" by the renowned British explorer Thomas Cook who brought back tobacco, patatas bravas and Larios.
Some say that it was around 1950 when he first landed but other accounts say it could have been later, possibly half past eight.
 Fuel Prices - Dog
Think you'll find the Guanches, of north African origin, 'discovered' the Fortunate Isles a few hours before €uropeans stumbled upon 'em.
>> The Canary Islands were "discovered" by the renowned British explorer Thomas Cook....

...after which, the Islas Canarias were utterly Thomas Cooked...
 Fuel Prices - Zero
>> >> The Canary Islands were "discovered" by the renowned British explorer Thomas Cook....
>>
>> ...after which, the Islas Canarias were utterly Thomas Cooked...

So who discovered the Cook Islands? he cant have been in both places at once.
 Fuel Prices - Lygonos
>> So who discovered the Cook Islands? he cant have been in both places at once.

Captain Kirk, but they couldn't understand his Canadian accent.
>>
>> Captain Kirk.....
>>

...and he later boldly claimed to have been the first man to ever go there.....
 Fuel Prices - BiggerBadderDave
I was brought up on the Isle of Wight (estate, East Manchester).
 Fuel Prices - Zero
Talking of Thos Cook, checkout this tale of the Vesuvius Funicular railway.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpHbv4-YB6c

Dont be drinking coffee, it has such gems in it as "one of the cars was thrown into the volcano"
 Fuel Prices - No FM2R
>> Talking of Thos Cook, checkout this tale of the Vesuvius Funicular railway.
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpHbv4-YB6c
>>
>> Dont be drinking coffee, it has such gems in it as "one of the cars
>> was thrown into the volcano"
>>

Fascinating. Thanks for that.
 Fuel Prices - henry k
When we first visted Vesuvius many years ago we went down inside the cone and the guides used to light their fags in the small fisures in the sides. Needless to say on a much later visit with our two childred it had been " discontinued" .
 Fuel Prices - Crankcase
About 45 years ago I went inside the Great Pyramid in Egypt. Also now discontinued. There's a really steep slope and I knocked my tourist fez off on the ceiling. It barreled down in the half gloom past a group of schoolgirls who all screamed satisfyingly.

And most here probably remember sitting (or worse) on the menhirs of Stonehenge?

Latest Forum Posts