Motoring Discussion > The Motorway Cops: Catching Britain's Speeders Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 9

The Motorway Cops: Catching Britain's Speeders - bathtub tom
Channel 5, Monday nights.

Watching this, I noticed their cars seem to have an additional stalk with a yellow tip on the RH side of the steering column, sticking up at 45 degrees. Anyone know what it's for?
 The Motorway Cops: Catching Britain's Speeders - njgleeds
It's the 'press to talk' or PTT button for the in-car comms system to enable it to be used whilst keeping both hands on the wheel. That's the idea anyway....
 The Motorway Cops: Catching Britain's Speeders - bathtub tom
>> It's the 'press to talk' or PTT button for the in-car comms system to enable
>> it to be used whilst keeping both hands on the wheel. That's the idea anyway....

I'd accept that, but they don't seem to be using it for that or any purpose.
 The Motorway Cops: Catching Britain's Speeders - njgleeds
It’s not always used if you are double crewed or if you’re using your personal system which may well be using a different channel.
 The Motorway Cops: Catching Britain's Speeders - Zero
Somewhere to hang the donuts
 The Motorway Cops: Catching Britain's Speeders - Robin O'Reliant
It may have been in the same program, a lady had an accident in which her airbags deployed. The other driver had suffered only minor cosmetic damage on his 21 reg car as she had only glanced off him before her big impact. Because of the smell of gas in her car from the airbags he offered for her to sit in his car till the emergency services arrived. While she sat there her neck stiffened up and they could not get her out without risk of further injury so they called the fire brigade who merrily cut the roof off to get her out.

Talk about a good turn coming back to bite you. The police officers didn't help by giggling in the background.
 The Motorway Cops: Catching Britain's Speeders - sooty123
I saw that episode, the guy took it pretty well to say his car was just written off.
 The Motorway Cops: Catching Britain's Speeders - Bobby
Yip ditto, saw it. I wouldn’t have been so understanding!

I seem to remember something similar happening with a brand new Police car if I remember correctly?
 The Motorway Cops: Catching Britain's Speeders - Duncan
>> he offered for her to
>> sit in his car till the emergency services arrived. While she sat there her neck
>> stiffened up and they could not get her out without risk of further injury so
>> they called the fire brigade who merrily cut the roof off to get her out.
>>

And the moral of this story is.......

No more Mr Nice Guy.

"Oh dear! Well sit over there on the road".

Unless, of course, you always wanted a convertible?
 The Motorway Cops: Catching Britain's Speeders - Dieselboy
Odd really. It's actually less of a risk to further injury to encourage self extrication than the potential forces by removing by a long board then moving to a scoop device.

Fire are always keen to cut a car roof off. In the majority of cases, it's not necessary.
Latest Forum Posts