Motoring Discussion > Goodbye LR Disco Sport Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 23

Goodbye LR Disco Sport - legacylad
After an unhappy, and very expensive relationship once out of warranty, my pal is speccing up replacements.
I’m meeting him for drinks in a few days and was surprised he mentioned the Golf estate & how expensive an X3 was. Even 2yo ones are £35k +.
I think he’ll be sticking with diesel, and it must be able to carry two sets of golf clubs in the boot area. I’ve mentioned before but previous to the LR debacle his ‘05 X5 racked up 230k trouble free miles over ten years.
Don’t know his budget, but recommendations welcome....don’t think he’ll buy a Cayenne, and the boot on the Macan is too small apparently...otherwise I’d have offered him mine.
 Goodbye LR Disco Sport - Bromptonaut
Does he want a practical vehicle or is image and/or performance a want/need?
He is the polar opposite of image conscious.....and a steady away driver is an understatement.

I’m thinking Tiguan....he does like an opening sunroof.....how we laughed when he found out the glass roof on the Disco Sport was fixed. A bit of a standing joke now.
 Goodbye LR Disco Sport - Falkirk Bairn
Toyota Highlander
Reliable#
up to 10 year warranty

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-toyota-highlander-hybrid-suv-come-uk-%C2%A350595
 Goodbye LR Disco Sport - Boxsterboy
If a £35,000 used X3 is too much, I suspect a new Toyota Highlander (from £50,000) will be out of the question.

It sounds like a Golf, Focus, Astra or maybe Skoda estate would suit him?
>> It sounds like a Golf, Focus, Astra or maybe Skoda estate would suit him?

The Skoda estates are certainly a good bet.

My Fabia has a cavernous boot albeit paid for by poor rear legroom.

Daughter's Octavia is another step up with a lot more boot AND adequate space in the back.

When the time comes for a larger caravan I'm tempted by the Superb although that might be a problem for Mrs B who really needs a sitty uppy driving position.
 Goodbye LR Disco Sport - Zero
The Kodiak, or Karoq fit the loading ability, tow and sitty uppy requirements. As does the VW equivalents
I've looked at the Karoq and its Seat stablemate. Probably OK but depending on version we'd be over 85% kerbweight match with, for example, a Bailey Unicorn Cadiz.

Not a deal breaker but would require some thought.

The Kodiaq feels a bit big.
Think the VW versions are heavier due to better sound deadening and trim quality, by how I know not.

I know the weight ratio is an ideal, and a legal issue, but I am concerned by length ratio, See far too many long vans with shorter cars, that pivot point cant be good.
 Goodbye LR Disco Sport - tyrednemotional
...aye; the Bailey Unicorn Cadiz is longer than my motorhome :-O.....
And it doesn't even have to fit in the silly swivel seats......
 Goodbye LR Disco Sport - Biggles
Do you mean the Cupra Ateca? Tempted.
I think the cupra bit would scare the bejesus out of him.
Next door neighbour took delivery of one of the more powerful Cupra Tormentor versions last week. It does.....
Think it’s going 2b a diesel Q5. With opening sunroof.
We didn’t discuss the whys and wherefores
I managed to gain distance on a Leon Cupra when we got to, well an awful lot of MPH, think they have got quicker since then.
>> Do you mean the Cupra Ateca? Tempted.

I read that as being a Robin Reliant type reversal but it seems Cupra is now a brand of its own.

Decent kerb weight but not the thing for towing a caravan; at that mpg in 'normal' use I'd be stopping every 100 miles...

While I like a car with slightly better acceleration than my fist Berlingo I'm not in the market for boy racer type vehicles.
 Goodbye LR Disco Sport - R.P.
V90 or V60 CC - Useful load space on both. Dashing looks. I;ve sold the V60 in part exing it for an XC40 B4 hybrid. I'll keep this for a couple of years when we'll consider an electric car along with ditching one of the cars.
I forgot to mention the V60....V70 too large now he no longer has children and sports gear to transport to all points North. Thanks.
I’ll mention it when we meet up for a pre Xmas curry upon my return from Spain....he’s in no big rush. Unless another large unexpected bill arrives for the Disco.
 Goodbye LR Disco Sport - Manatee
Unless another large unexpected bill arrives for the Disco.
>>

There is no such thing as a large unexpected bill for a Discovery Sport.

At the time I bought my second Outlander, a 5+2 4WD that does pretty much the same thing, I did wonder about the Disco Sport. The price was pretty similar around the entry level of the Sport which has a much nicer interior, but to buy a car actually expecting it to have an expensive breakdown was something I couldn't take seriously. Had it been a company car it would have been different - and the Land Rover probably cheaper on a lease too. The residuals on the Outlander are pretty poor but for the length of time I intend to keep it, that doesn't matter.
>>....part exing it for an XC40 B4 hybrid.....
>>

...hope you like it. 6 weeks in I'm enjoying my B4 (it may just be new car syndrome, though ;-) )
Mine's a R-Design, 2 wheel drive. It's a fine motor - one grumble is a rather less than subtle handbrake...compared to the the V60 !
 Goodbye LR Disco Sport - Lygonos
V90 is an automotive Barbour jacket and still appears to be available with decent discounts.

www.new-car-discount.com/car/volvo/v90/estate/all/all
We were loaned one over a pre-lockdown weekend as a tester. It is a truly svelt motor -it has enormous presence but would need a couple of tugs to park in in the local supermarket.
Latest Forum Posts