Motoring Discussion > Jumpers - it wasn’t me Gov, honest. Legal Questions
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 5

Jumpers - it wasn’t me Gov, honest. - zippy
metro.co.uk/2021/10/18/surrey-writing-on-womans-jumper-landed-couple-with-fine-when-she-walked-in-bus-lane-15439916/amp/

Funny bus lane ticket.

Shown elsewhere on the WWW, the document received states that unless you appeal within 28 days the appeal won’t be heard. What would happen here if say the car owners were away for a month or more and didn’t see the ticket? Given it’s clearly not them I would expect the fine to be waived but councils can be intransigent sometimes.
 Jumpers - it wasn’t me Gov, honest. - Bromptonaut
It was in The Guardian too:

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/18/motorist-fined-number-plate-t-shirt

You normally have, I think, 28 days to make 'Representations' to the Council. If they stick by their guns then you can make a proper appeal to in independent Tribunal. In England and Wales outside of London (which has its own system) this would go to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

I cannot believe it would get that far.

There is a risk if it were ignored of it escalating via the fine doubling and ultimately going the the Traffic Enforcement Centre where it is treated as debt and Bailiffs get on with it.

Again, I think human intervention would put a stop to it.
 Jumpers - it wasn’t me Gov, honest. - Rudedog
The couple were on the radio yesterday and I think they did manage to get through to an actual person to try and point out the error but they were initially met with 'yeah we've heard that one before!', it was only then that someone looked at the photo and cancelled it.

I guess there might have been some people who would have let it run and had their day in court (if it goes to that?).
 Jumpers - it wasn’t me Gov, honest. - zippy
>>
>> I guess there might have been some people who would have let it run and
>> had their day in court (if it goes to that?).
>>

I guess if a couple of staff on the phone had refused to budge then that's a reasonable option.

Bit like the bloke prosecuted for holding a phone whilst driving and it turns out he didn't have the hand that the police officer said he saw the phone in!
 Jumpers - it wasn’t me Gov, honest. - No FM2R
Not really.
 Jumpers - it wasn’t me Gov, honest. - Bromptonaut
>> I guess if a couple of staff on the phone had refused to budge then
>> that's a reasonable option.

A lot of councils insist on all representations being in writing so they'd have to be pretty bone headed not to at least check the pictures before responding. Letting Council issued tickets run is high risk as there's no default to court like when police/wardens issued the tickets.

If they're ignored they go to what is effectively the County Court but as though they're already a judgement debt - no day in court. Bailiffs WILL be involved.

Hell of a game to re-open them when it's got to that stage.

>> Bit like the bloke prosecuted for holding a phone whilst driving and it turns out
>> he didn't have the hand that the police officer said he saw the phone in!

I remember that being reported but not the detail.
Latest Forum Posts