Motoring Discussion > UK Transport Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 10

UK Transport - No FM2R
Well, plans change. Or at least mine do. Pretty much always

Thus I did not buy a old cheap car and am in fact blatting around the roads of the UK in an almost new AMG C300. Not really sure what the 'AMG' bit entails, but it's very fast and very comfortable.

I'd no longer spend this much money on a car but having been living with it for a few days I can quite see why people do. But 9 gears? wtf is that all about? Fortunately the gear change, like everything else is controlled by a computer somewhere and doesn't really involve me.

Fantastically clever and high-tech, lovely to drive, though quite a lot of noise from the insanely low profile tyres, especially on the concrete section of the M3.

There's quite a learning curve, the technology is extensive and complex and I'm not a fan of all of it.

Of course it's a 2-door coupe, which is certainly not my sort of thing, but I'm suffering through it manfully. It doesn't do a great deal to the gallon either, though that might be my fault because the loud pedal is addictive.

Hapoy days.
 UK Transport - Runfer D'Hills
Gentlemanly cars, Mercs.
;-)
 UK Transport - No FM2R
Well, this one can waft, but it's got a very aggressive side which keeps trying to raise it's head.
 UK Transport - tyrednemotional
>> Gentlemanly cars, Mercs.
>> ;-)
>>

... surprising, really, given the people who buy and drive them... :-O
 UK Transport - PeterS
That is, I think, a lower power output and minus the mild hybrid gubbins version of the engine my car has. Though mine is heavier. The two probably cancel each other out ;)

Mine has averaged around 32 mpg, does mid twenties on short journeys or when driven with a heavy right foot. On a drive from Sussex to LHR it’ll do 35/36. On long motorway trips sticking vaguely to speed limits it’ll do 37/38. In ‘E’ it goes into 9th around 60mph, but I think you have to be going faster in ‘C’ and faster still in ‘S’ for that to happen. It’ll also generally start in ‘2’, so for most of the time it’s really just a 7 speed ‘box ;)

It sounds like you successfully navigated the passenger locator form, vaccination and testing regime for entry to the U.K.!! Well done!!
 UK Transport - No FM2R
>> Mine has averaged around 32 mpg, does mid twenties on short journeys or when driven
>> with a heavy right foot. On a drive from Sussex to LHR it’ll do 35/36.
>> On long motorway trips sticking vaguely to speed limits it’ll do 37/38.

Sounds about right. The car seems to think I am averaging 30mpg, but I'm not usually a heavy footed driver.

>>In ‘E’ it
>> goes into 9th around 60mph, but I think you have to be going faster in
>> ‘C’ and faster still in ‘S’ for that to happen. It’ll also generally start in
>> ‘2’, so for most of the time it’s really just a 7 speed ‘box ;)

I only use it in C. It seems the ideal compromise to me.

>> It sounds like you successfully navigated the passenger locator form, vaccination and testing regime for
>> entry to the U.K.!! Well done!!

Yes, I did thanks. The reality was far simpler than the websites led me to believe. Hence the reason you didn't get a call from Heathrow on Saturday night!

I did appreciate the advice and support though.

Will give you a shout when I'm down your way. We can compare Merc engines.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 20 Sep 21 at 16:50
 UK Transport - legacylad
Ooooooo...Mercedes freundes.
Wie schon
:-)
 UK Transport - Biggles
"People called 'Romanes' they go the house"?
 UK Transport - legacylad
Rental ? How much if you don’t mind ?
 UK Transport - No FM2R
I don't mind you asking at all but no, it's not a rental. It was loaned to me so zero cost, not even insurance - though the price of petrol in the UK hurts.
 UK Transport - legacylad
That’s nice.
I hope you achieve all that you wanted to whilst here in the U.K.
Latest Forum Posts