Motoring Discussion > Suspending car insurance? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 20

Suspending car insurance? - smokie
I sold the Ampera to the first viewer so am now carless for 2 months (well, named driver of SWMBOs).

So I don't need insurance.

I was musing if I cancel it, do I lose NCD (lack of continuity) or whether I can pause it. I guess I'll call my provider for a definitive but does anyone have any thoughts?
 Suspending car insurance? - tyrednemotional
...though it may vary from insurer to insurer, AIUI it is conventional for an NCB value no older than 2 years to be recognised if you have a gap in insurance, so that shouldn't be a factor.
 Suspending car insurance? - zippy
>> ...though it may vary from insurer to insurer, AIUI it is conventional for an NCB
>> value no older than 2 years to be recognised if you have a gap in
>> insurance, so that shouldn't be a factor.
>>

I was without car for a year and LV honoured the NCD previously earned.
 Suspending car insurance? - DeeW
I had to shop around to find a company who would accept my full NCB after driving a motability car for three years, despite never having had a claim. This was rather a long time ago , so no idea what happens now. At that time I went with a Broker to get insured.
 Suspending car insurance? - Bill Payer
>> I had to shop around to find a company who would accept my full NCB
>> after driving a motability car for three years, despite never having had a claim. This
>> was rather a long time ago , so no idea what happens now. At that
>> time I went with a Broker to get insured.
>>

I've never done this myself, but I've seen people say it barely makes any difference if you have full NCB or none at all, as long as all the factors put you in the 'normal' bracket. What really bumps premiums up is recent claims history.
 Suspending car insurance? - Bromptonaut
>> I've never done this myself, but I've seen people say it barely makes any difference
>> if you have full NCB or none at all, as long as all the factors
>> put you in the 'normal' bracket. What really bumps premiums up is recent claims history.

I'd confirm that (unless things have changed).

We got a second car c.1997; a Pug 205 to be my 'station car'. Mrs B took on the family car, a Citroen BX Estate.

She'd never had a policy of her own, driving successively on her parent's policies, that of her ex and then mine.

Broker found her a starter discount which meant the premiums for the mechanically near identical 205 and BX were both around the £300 mark.
The problem with cancelling is that the insurer may charge you at short term rates for the period you were on cover.

As you say best bet is to discuss it with them.

Did you pay the premium as a lump sum or in instalments?
 Suspending car insurance? - Manatee
NCD is normally preserved for up to 24 months IIRC. Insurers might have different rules.

If you were building NCD it might matter; if you had full NCD anyway then in theory you can get it back in 2-3 months.

It might be an idea to get proof of NCD when you cancel. And be prepared to be charged for cancelling, which one of the classic insurers did to me once, charging me an admin fee that exceeded the rebate of premium.
 Suspending car insurance? - Rudedog
Wouldn't being the named driver on your wife's car help? Pretty sure you can accumulate years this way. Maybe only works if you both use the same insurance company.
Thanks. It's all paid for up front, was renewed at end July with Sainsburys for a bit over £200. I'm not that bothered for the sake of £20 or £30, just seems bit daft not to at least ask. So I will, next week.

Reassuring that I wouldn't lose my NCD.
 Suspending car insurance? - Bill Payer
You have to do something - the one thing you mustn't do is leave it to run because in some circumstances your insurer could still be held liable. They'll then come after you to cover their loss.
 Suspending car insurance? - Manatee
Good point. It could remain on the Askmid database and the insurer could find themselves on the end of say a hit and run claim that is nothing to do with Smokie.
Oh! That hadn't occurred to me.

They aren't open at weekends but I'll call them on Monday.
 Suspending car insurance? - legacylad
Send an email ASAP, then call Monday ?
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 18 Sep 21 at 19:41
 Suspending car insurance? - martin aston
In the event of a claim you haven’t got an insurable interest so I am not sure you would be on the hook. Unless the insurer can claim breach of contract if you don’t inform them that you no longer have the car?
Either way it’s best to tie up the loose ends to avoid any hassle.
Well done on getting the car sold by the way.
>> In the event of a claim you haven’t got an insurable interest so I am
>> not sure you would be on the hook.

There was a report on this issue in the finance pages of The Guardian a few years ago.

I cannot recall the full details but it concerned a motorbike which was sold but the policy was not cancelled. The bike was subsequently involved in an uninsured serious accident, possibly after being stolen.

The claim fell on the vendor's insurer, I think for reasons to do with a chain of accountability before the Motor Insurers Bureau would step in.
 Suspending car insurance? - zippy
>>
>> The claim fell on the vendor's insurer, I think for reasons to do with a
>> chain of accountability before the Motor Insurers Bureau would step in.
>>

AIUI your insurance will pay for 3rd party claims if the vehicle is insured but driven by an uninsured driver (including thieves) for the same reasons.
 Suspending car insurance? - bathtub tom
Ours is coming up for renewal next month. I've been looking around the comparison sites and it looks like it's going to be £150.

Not so long ago it was less than £100. I suppose that's the result of old age.
 Suspending car insurance? - legacylad
OTOH it might be £800 as a result of young age !

Can’t say I know any recently qualified young drivers to ask.
Well I held on for over 20 minutes listening to the usual carp music. There was a recorded message saying that all changes can be made on my portal and I would be charged an admin fee for calling.

So while hanging on I was browsing the webpage to make sure I'd not missed the option to suspend (or even cancel) - I couldn't see it.

However I have simply changed the insurance to SWMBOs car ( - I'm a named driver on her policy anyway), updating to say I am not the registered keeper, and I am due a £17 refund.

Maybe if I'd managed to suspend it I'd have got back (say) £36 minus whatever admin charge so I'm probably no worse off. And I can just change it back to the new car when I get it without too much hassle (and a potential 2nd admin charge).

Thanks to all for input.
 Suspending car insurance? - No FM2R
>> The claim fell on the vendor's insurer, I think for reasons to do with a
>> chain of accountability before the Motor Insurers Bureau would step in.

I don't know the case but it sounds like a piece of information missing. Perhaps something to do with a lack of credibility as to how possession passed.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Sep 21 at 13:13
Latest Forum Posts