Motoring Discussion > New 'UK' stickers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PR Replies: 19

New 'UK' stickers - PR
I am hoping to be able to get on holiday early next month in the car, over to Italy.

Previous cars have always had the euro plates, current ones are normal, blank ones.

Has anyone got any new UK stickers? From Sept 30th apparently GB stickers will not be correct / lawful

Think I will go for something subtle like these
www.amazon.co.uk/Signs247-Number-Stickers-United-Kingdom/dp/B098PGHWMT/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

(Apologies if this has been covered I couldnt find anything)

New 'UK' stickers - Bromptonaut
It seems the UK government have advised the United Nations that we will use UK rather than GB from the end of September. Whether that is all that is required and whether traffic police in mainland Europe will immediately be aware is another question.

I'd be inclined to take a GB sticker as well as UK to be on the safe side.
 New 'UK' stickers - Zero
>> It seems the UK government have advised the United Nations that we will use UK
>> rather than GB from the end of September.

Why? whatever was the justification for causing yet more agro by changing a notification that pre existed our membership of the EU by decades.

>> Why? whatever was the justification for causing yet more agro by changing a notification that
>> pre existed our membership of the EU by decades.

It's a Boris Brexit thing to emphasise our new status. Plus GB technically excludes NI.
 New 'UK' stickers - Biggles
Here is the notification. 28 September is the effective date.
treaties.un.org/doc/Publication/CN/2021/CN.207.2021-Eng.pdf
 New 'UK' stickers - Terry
Two summers ago we went to Spain via ferry. The carefully procured magnetic stickers unsurprisingly did not stick to a plastic tailgate - doh!

Brittany ferries gave us some stick on ones free at the docks!
>> Two summers ago we went to Spain via ferry. The carefully procured magnetic stickers unsurprisingly
>> did not stick to a plastic tailgate - doh!

No good on a caravan either.....
 New 'UK' stickers - PeterS
Well I’m going over to France in a couple of weeks, so the change won’t affect me, but even after that I’ll just be using the EU/GB stickers that already form part of the number plate. Pretty sure the boot lid is aluminium anyway, so magnetic is no use. And I don’t want sticky residue left on the rear window/boot/bumper. I’ll worry about the new format when I change the car :)
 New 'UK' stickers - Bobby
I’ll take a chance with my SCO number plate logos, maybe add a wee note to them to say don’t blame us, we never voted for this shoot show!
 New 'UK' stickers - Rudedog
When I get the chance to go over the channel I'll be sticking with my recently bought window GB sticker and pressed metal EU number plate.

Just another opportunity for the ferry people to sell you 'stuff' at the terminal before you board.

New 'UK' stickers - bathtub tom
Last time I went abroad I used a vinyl GB plate that 'stuck' to the car without adhesive. A bit like the material they use on car wraps I suspect.

It was fine and went through many car washes. SWMBO liked it as it gave her something to identify which silver car was ours.

I don't know how the dealer lost it when they serviced the car. I didn't notice it was missing for a few days, by which time it was too late to go back. One more reason to ditch that main dealer.
 New 'UK' stickers - Zero
www.amazon.co.uk/Union-Number-Stickers-United-Kingdom/dp/B00O2FY3WA
 New 'UK' stickers - Runfer D'Hills
If you step back from what is legal or not, or was, or will be, or might be, just for a moment, and stop to consider what, if any purpose a country identifier sticker serves, the only really useful thing it might do, is act as a gentle warning/reminder to other road users that the vehicle may be being driven by someone unfamiliar or unused to the local road network and the minutiae of the local traffic rules, and that they might therefore consider cutting the driver a little slack.

What combination of letters it uses could be considered irrelevant, provided it's clear they identify the vehicle as a visitor to the country it is currently in.

I see it a bit like an L plate in many ways, in other words, this vehicle might not be driven as perfectly as would normally be expected.
 New 'UK' stickers - Zero
>> If you step back from what is legal or not, or was, or will be,
>> or might be, just for a moment, and stop to consider what, if any purpose
>> a country identifier sticker serves,

You cant, its about legality.

> consider cutting the driver a little slack.

Pfftt in some countries its a target marker, they will eat you alive.

At the end of the day, if it wasn't leal none of us would bother
 New 'UK' stickers - Dog
Best sticker I ever had was a Doctor on Call card which fitted in a little holder on the windscreen of my MGB.

It enabled me to park literally anywhere, and I did.

:o)
 New 'UK' stickers - zippy
>>doctor on call

Many years ago a colleagues girlfriend was a drugs company rep.

A doctor gave her a doctor on call card.

On the way home one afternoon there was a major crash on a dual carriageway and the police went up the queue of cars looking for medical assistance before the ambulance could arrive (before paramedics).

On seeing the doctor on call card he asked for her help and when she explained he was most unhappy and threatened all sorts of action, finally settling on confiscation of the sign.
 New 'UK' stickers - Dog
>>On seeing the doctor on call card he asked for her help

Good lord, It never crossed my mind that that could happen.

Mine was actually in the car when I bought it, this would have been about 1975 ish.

Old bill relieved me of said card when I was having my collar felt for a minor misdemeanour :(
 New 'UK' stickers - Dave_
Half the Brit cars driving through France / Belgium etc don't bother with any kind of oval sticker. A good proportion of those don't have any country identifier on the numberplates either. I suspect it's only an issue if you get caught doing something else you shouldn't.

Me, I'll stick to the letter (pun intended) of the law. If a driver has made the effort to comply with the visible rules, chances are they'll also comply with the less visible ones and will be left alone.
 New 'UK' stickers - R.P.
Never used a GB sticker by car or bike in mainland Europe, never had a problem. Thinking about it I'm not even sure the car of the bike has any sort of marker on the number plate.
 New 'UK' stickers - Rudedog
I do find it odd that if this change has been known about then why have I seen so many 21 & 70 cars numbers plates still showing the union flag plus GB.
Latest Forum Posts