Motoring Discussion > Semi automatic gearboxes. Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 11

Semi automatic gearboxes. - Roger.
I'm considering getting an auto to replace the manual Dacia.
A small mpv would be ideal to facilitate entry and exit. The boot needs to be big enough to carry a folding wheelchair for SWMBO.
Ideally I'd like a torque converter box for smooth changes and I've thought of a Hyundai ix20 automatic, a Kia Venga auto and a Nissan Note auto.
The budget is circa £6k.
These shortlisted cars are hard to find within a reasonable distance, so my thoughts have turned to a Citroen C3 Picasso with the automated manual box.
Reports indicate that in automatic mode progress is jerky. (that's why I want to change from a manual). The question is therefore- has any one real life experience of how these boxes operate in auto mode?
 Semi automatic gearboxes. - No FM2R
>> has any one real life experience of how
>> these boxes operate in auto mode?

Not a bit.

However, I well remember your offer to look after my daughter.

I will be in the UK for Sept/Oct. I notice your comment about local availability. If I can help by running you around anywhere in England at your convenience you only need say.
 Semi automatic gearboxes. - VxFan
>> The question is therefore- has any one real life experience of how these boxes operate in auto mode?

Not the more modern ones, but the earlier ones were absolutely dire. Servos and actuators doing the job that was intended for a human to do. The computer did it very badly. Never in the correct gear, and as you already mention, jerky gear changes.
 Semi automatic gearboxes. - DP

>> Not the more modern ones, but the earlier ones were absolutely dire. Servos and actuators
>> doing the job that was intended for a human to do. The computer did it
>> very badly. Never in the correct gear, and as you already mention, jerky gear changes.
>>

I was given a Vauxhall Corsa Easytronic as a rental car about 10 years ago and it was awful. The gear changes were sooooo slow and apparently random that you simply daren't go for a gap in traffic as you were never sure when all drive would suddenly disappear while the automated stuff did its thing and swapped the cogs, then (sharply) re-engaged the clutch with the speed, enthusiasm and proficiency of a sleep deprived learner.

There's a reason that manual, DCT and torque converter boxes have endured and this nonsense hasn't.
 Semi automatic gearboxes. - sherlock47
I have the 62 plate 1.6 HDi Berlingo with the autobox - It can be driven perfectly smoothly if you adapt your technique and show some mechanical empathy. However some people find it difficult to adapt.

My biggest criticism was when I first got it, was that it tried to kill me about once a month. When entering a roundabout, if you 'drift' up to the entry line in 2nd and spot a gap in front of a circulating lorry and then floor the accelerator, the delay whilst it selects 1st gear sees the gap disappear! A software update improved things - my brain adapted - and now it happens rarely.

I can only suggest that you take one for an extended test drive.
 Semi automatic gearboxes. - Falkirk Bairn
Honda Jazz - magic seats pop up and allow big items to be stored, like a chair - easy to put in/out.
Avoid the i-shifts, the CVT gearboxes are fine.
 Semi automatic gearboxes. - legacylad
I know a few folks with high mileage Subaru’s which use the ‘lineartronic’ auto box. I’ve no idea how it works, but they’ve been very reliable in both the Forester and XV which will be within budget.

Edit. Just seen Dogs post! Confirms my two friends opinions of their Subaru auto boxes.
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 9 Aug 21 at 07:59
 Semi automatic gearboxes. - Dog
>>I know a few folks with high mileage Subaru's which use the 'lineartronic' auto box. I've no idea how it works, but they've been very reliable in both the Forester and XV which will be within budge

Mr Subaru knows his Subaru's: www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KGxWnrDcTw
 Semi automatic gearboxes. - Dog
The CVT in my Subaru operates just like a TC and I'm luvin it. I wouldn't touch a used semi with Roach pole.
 Semi automatic gearboxes. - bathtub tom
I think you'll find nearly every manufacturer that tried automated manual gearboxes abandoned them because they were so troublesome.

I suggest you join a forum for the car you're considering. Have you read the HJ review: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/citroen/c3-picasso-2009/
 Semi automatic gearboxes. - zippy
Hyundai and Kia still use them.

I had a Tucson with a DCT box.

It was fine most of the time. Sometimes in the morning for the first roll off the drive it was a bit lumpy and once in a crawling traffic jam (4 hours stop / start at about 2 mph max) it was very lumpy but was fine once we got going again. In normal driving it was very quick at changing gear - that's once in over 60,000 miles after driving hard for 3 hours before the traffic jam.

Budgetary constraints and an offer I couldn't refuse resulted in a second new one this year and it's much better. Despite being a lower spec model, it feels a lot tighter and smoother. The gear changes are not perceptible and up to 30MPH, the car is very very quiet (1.6CRDI MHEV).

One change is a temperature gauge on the small dash LCD for the gearbox and the manual says that if it gets in to the top zone then it will flash up asking you to stop. On my longest journey so far (120 miles) the meter didn't get above 2 from what looks like space for 20 segments.
 Semi automatic gearboxes. - MD
We have a Mitsi Colt. It's an automated manual on a 59 plate.
It is a pleasure to drive. If there is one complaint it can at times (usually when cold) that reverse can be a pig to engage.
It's always in the right gear.
It's surprisingly quick for what it is.
ABS
Air con.
Low-mid 30's around town (She has a Lead foot)
Using the 'box manually is fun.
40 on a run.
Sticks like glue on the right tyres. (Would take off without warning on the originals and was terrifying).
Never broken down.
Latest Forum Posts