Motoring Discussion > F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 37
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 46

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 37 - VxFan

As the title suggests, a place to discuss Formula One, and all other types of motorsport (excluding MotoGP, which has a section of its own).

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then REPLY to this post and REMEMBER to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 21 Jul 21 at 12:55
 British GP 100km sprint Qualifier - Zero
So what do we think about this new test feature for F1 qualifying?

Certainly offers the Saturday qualifier crowd much more of a spectacle, and it was certainly competitive up front for the first 3 laps, but then seemed to settle down into a "lets not cause any issues for the real race day and cruise through this to the end"

Certainly not something you could do or want to do at Monaco.
 British GP 100km sprint Qualifier - bathtub tom
Let's keep it and ditch the Sunday procession.
 British GP 100km sprint Qualifier - No FM2R
I don't think tomorrow is going to be a procession.
 British GP 100km sprint Qualifier - smokie
Some races are inevitably processions because of lack of overtaking possibilities on track but I'm not sure Silverstone is one of those.
>> Some races are inevitably processions because of lack of overtaking possibilities on track but I'm
>> not sure Silverstone is one of those.

its not, not by a long way, Two DRS zones, wide track, fast corners with a myriad of different lines and grip coefficients
So, not a procession, though quite an oops.
 British GP 100km sprint Qualifier - Manatee
The BBC has apparently run out of radio channels (golf and cricket have grabbed R5L and R5LX) so there is a temporary DAB station from 2.30pm BST "BBC Radio 5 Live Formula 1" for the live commentary. A re-scan has just found it.

I don't see the point of the 'sprint' race. Because it resets the grid, it's effectively part of the race itself, which is red-flagged at 100Km. and re-started on the Sunday. It's obvious why they've done that, because without the grid reset most drivers wouldn't care where they finished so would just trundle round looking after the car.

Final Practice 2 is of limited use because the cars can't be changed after qualifying, and FP3 has gone. So the drivers/cars now go into qualifying after only one practice session which will make set-up and tyre management harder for no good reason I can see apart from randomly messing up the teams.

I think it needs a tweak or two. Or binning.
Interesting take on it, I'd not really thought in depth about it and was quite pleased to see something a bit different but you have a point.

Though the teams and drivers (and commentators on Sky) seemed to like it. Not that any of them have a vested interest LOL
 British GP 100km sprint Qualifier - Robin O'Reliant
Personally I preferred the flying lap qualifier.
Yes, I think I did too. Though it's difficult to work out the real impact of changes until the entire industry has adjusted their approach, strategy and tactics to suit which will take some time.
I hope Lewis remembers Andretti's quote (IIRC) "What comes around, goes around".

Luckily, no-one will be harmed.
 British GP 100km sprint Qualifier - Terry
I like the idea but I understand that teams can change tyres for the actual race. What may be more interesting would be to ensure the same tyres they finished the sprint with had to be used to start the race.

This would involve some interesting strategic choices - select the best tyres for for the sprint to get the best grid position for the race, or select the best tyres for the race which could compromise grid position.

Anyway - two proper races over the weekend is better than one!
On first view I thought that was Verstappen's fault, he seemed to close the gap on Lewis. On the replays I thought it was a "racing incident" - 50/50. IMO he was unlucky to get the penalty but in the end he is a great driver and overcame the disadvantage.

Whatever, it was exciting racing don't you think?

>> Whatever, it was exciting racing don't you think?

I do think, very enjoyable.

I think Hamilton was pushing his luck a bit and Verstappen pushed it by trying to bully him. A tactic always doomed to failure, I should think.

Inevitable incident with two such skilled and competitive drivers.
Didn't see it I was out chasing trains. Came back, to headlines about Verstappen claiming Lewis was dirty.

Watched a highlight of the crash, just once, and that was enough to decide "Racing incident"

Big Prang tho! 51G? jeez
>> I hope Lewis remembers Andretti's quote (IIRC) "What comes around, goes around".
>>
>> Luckily, no-one will be harmed.
>>

I think that is what has just happened to Max, and it was inevitable.

Max's standard tactic is to create a situation in which either somebody backs off or there is an accident. Lewis has been the one to back off on at least three occasions, and I don't think that was cowardice. With Mercedes' superiority eroded, and RB/Max leading the championship, the shoe is now on the other foot. Max knew Lewis was there and could have avoided him by going wider, as Leclerc wisely did having had a ringside seat earlier.

Leclerc btw said it was a racing incident.
There is backing off, or giving room, then there is going off roading like LeClerc, that was extreme, looked like loss of bottle.
 British GP 100km sprint Qualifier - Robin O'Reliant
Racing incident in my view.
 British GP 100km sprint Qualifier - VxFan
>> Racing incident in my view.

I think the issue is how the race stewards dish out the penalties, which are generally inconsistent.
Its not like offside in football, the driving offence is subjective by a human, and there are no defined penalty scales, or if they are they are very wide.
I suspect an eye was on the media, it's potential headlines, and the ranting of the baying mobs..

The lack of punishment of Vertsappen and the significant punishment of Hamilton were all part of media management, far more than race management.

The race stewards are racing people not PR and I wouldn't think they give a rats wotsit about what the media thinks. The decision was made during racing and I doubt that anyone would be invited to scrutineer the decision for the sake of the media.
Perhaps they were unduly influenced by Horner's melodramatic outburst. It could of course have had far more serious consequences for Verstappen but it was as much his choice as Hamilton's and the outcome of such incidents is unpredictable. He knew Hamilton was there and almost certainly presumed he would defer as he has before - assuming that was even possible from there, Hamilton missed the apex so was probably struggling to turn in. Another interpretation is that he had been hoping to run Verstappen out of road on the exit, another favourite Verstappen tactic.

Neither was for compromising.
So you believe they make their decisions, clearly visible in both the public eye and the eye of the media, with no thought or interest in how their decisions will be regarded or received because they are "racing people"?

I think you have more faith than I do
>> So you believe they make their decisions, clearly visible in both the public eye and
>> the eye of the media, with no thought or interest in how their decisions will
>> be regarded or received because they are "racing people"?

Err yes, Senna certainly did that to Prost on more then one occasion with no regard to the potential outcry. Winning was all. M Schumacher certainly did ditto lots of times. And Kimi Raikonen has publicly said on a few occasions he couldnt give a "schidt"
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 19 Jul 21 at 20:38
Crossed lines - Smokie and I were discussing the stewards, not the drivers. If you're struggling then seek help from the member of God's people that we planted in your house.
>> Crossed lines - Smokie and I were discussing the stewards, not the drivers. If you're
>> struggling then seek help from the member of God's people that we planted in your
>> house.

they speak the devils language, best to ignore them
 British GP 100km sprint Qualifier - Kevin
>they speak the devils language, best to ignore them

Mr Gates? Mr Gates Sir? We have a faulty chip in Ingerland.
>> >they speak the devils language, best to ignore them
>>
>> Mr Gates? Mr Gates Sir? We have a faulty chip in Ingerland.
>>
On smurfs advice I dug it out after the CV jab put it in.
 British GP 100km sprint Qualifier - Kevin
It was funny to see Christian Horner talking to the media after the race. Does that man ever stop whining? He seems to forget the number of times he's been in front of the cameras trying to convince us that Verstappen's latest game of chicken with another driver is 'the drive and determination needed to win championships'.

As far as Horner and Marko claiming that the consequences of the shunt were so serious that they justified a race suspension for Hamilton - err, sorry but the consequences are not considered unless it's a deliberate act and they know that. If drivers had to conduct a "What if?" risk analysis before every overtake they'd both be out of jobs.

Even Damon Hill was crowing about the consequences. Well, Hamilton had nothing to do with the safety measures and Damon might not like the headlines. "Ex BRDC President who secured F1 GP for Silverstone admits circuit is unsafe."

Plonkers.
 Hamilton racially abused online after British win - VxFan
"Lewis Hamilton has been the target of racist abuse on social media after his victory at Sunday's British Grand Prix."

It was inevitable, given what's recently happened with the footy.

Not for one minute agreeing with it, btw.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57885011

Verstappen's team Red Bull Racing said it was "disgusted and saddened" at the abuse directed towards Hamilton.

"While we may be fierce rivals on-track, we are all united against racism," the team said in a statement. "We condemn racist abuse of any kind towards our team, our competitors and our fans.
 Hamilton racially abused online after British win - No FM2R
>>It was inevitable, given what's recently happened with the footy.

I fear that it has become trendy amongst a certain type of knuckle dragger and window licker.
 Hamilton racially abused online after British win - Zero
yeah they cant even be first or original
Verstappen sure woke up a few spectators!!

video.lastampa.it/sport/ecco-come-appare-un-incidente-di-f1-da-vicino-lo-schianto-tra-hamilton-e-verstappen-al-gp-di-gran-bretagna/142291/142544?ref=LSHSP-DF-S1-F
That is some severe tyre-assisted deceleration. I bet that'll hurt for days.
51g deceleration apparently, you'll be hurting in internal organs you didnt know you had till then.
I'm sure they know what they're doing, but somehow you'd think that deeper or softer gravel surface would have provided more deceleration ahead of the big one.
>> I'm sure they know what they're doing, but somehow you'd think that deeper or softer
>> gravel surface would have provided more deceleration ahead of the big one.

You remember catch fencing? slowed then down progressively, but trapped the driver in a potential fire trap.
 British GP 100km sprint Qualifier - sooty123
>> I'm sure they know what they're doing, but somehow you'd think that deeper or softer
>> gravel surface would have provided more deceleration ahead of the big one.
>>

I think if they make it deeper, cars are at a much higher risk of flipping over. I guess it's a difficult thing to balance.
Also they want to avoid beaching cars where the driver makes a minor mistake.
>>cars are at a much higher risk of flipping over.

Yes, that makes sense.

You'd think there would be something less brutal than old tyres which could go as a mid point between the gravel and the tyres.

On the other hand, it's been quite a long time since anybody died in such circumstances, so I guess they must be doing ok.

>> You'd think there would be something less brutal than old tyres which could go as
>> a mid point between the gravel and the tyres.
>>
>> On the other hand, it's been quite a long time since anybody died in such
>> circumstances, so I guess they must be doing ok.

Its amazing how such a cheap low tech solution works in such a hideously expensive hi tech environment.
>>You'd think there would be something less brutal than old tyres which could go as a mid point between the gravel and the tyres.

Whenever I've been close to these barriers, the bottom of each tyre has been full of water. Inevitable I suppose when it rains. I always wondered if the water is a design element because it must add lots of mass to the barrier.
You always used to see water splashed when something hit them, I didn't see it in Verstappen's crash.
I'd always assumed it was rain water. Be a bit difficult to do on purpose, surely?
 British GP 100km sprint Qualifier - VxFan
>> Verstappen sure woke up a few spectators!!

Anyone who's been to Santa Pod will know how much debris is thrown up if a top fuel drag car hits the wall travelling up the ΒΌ mile strip, or if an engine lets go at full chat.

Not sure if things have changed now, but it only used to be a waist high thick concrete wall between you and the cars on the pit side of the strip. No high fences to help catch anything.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 20 Jul 21 at 20:11
Guess the little old lady with her precautionary brolly up in the video was at the Pod around the same time as you then, and knew what to expect... :-)
Latest Forum Posts