Motoring Discussion > parking on private property Miscellaneous
Thread Author: apm Replies: 13

parking on private property - apm
Hi all,

Just had an interesting conversation with parking official locally.

I parked my motorbike on a bit of unused pavement, away from paths people use and street furniture, in no-one's way. Had a doctor's appointment, running late, nowhere to park there so put the bike up on this bit of pavement in the main square.

Come back to find a ticket. Long story short, the parking official said that if I'd parked on the private property adjacent, then he couldn't give me a ticket. The clear implication is that if bikers want to avoid tickets, park on private property.

Seemed a bit odd for a parking official to suggest this!

What do you lot think?
 parking on private property - Bromptonaut
APM,

Whereabouts in the UK? (it may make a difference).
 parking on private property - Old Navy
Park it on my patch and it would probably get blown over regardless of wind speed..
 parking on private property - apm
Bromptonaut, we are in Petts Wood, Kent/ London suburbs.

ON- I wouldn't dream of parking on someone's property!
 parking on private property - hobby
I don't see how he's advocating parking on private land, all he's doing is stating the obvious that if its on private land he can't touch it... I think the OP is reading more into the conversation than is actually the case!!

Note that he doesn't say what will happen to it if he does... perhaps he has a "relationship" with a Clamper and is just pushing business his way?!
 parking on private property - Biggles
I seem to recall that a couple of months ago a moped rider parked at his office during the day on priviate property adjacent the pavement and got a parking ticket. He appealed this but the ticket was found to be valid. I'll see if I can dig the story out.
 parking on private property - Biggles
Here we go - sorry about the source, it was what Google came up with.

tinyurl.com/yeqhjno
 parking on private property - jc2
I've come up against this before-"private property to which the public have access".
 parking on private property - Perky Penguin
Like supermarket car parks, for example. Privare property to which the public has access by invitation ISTR.
 parking on private property - Cliff Pope
>> Like supermarket car parks, for example. Privare property to which the public has access by
>> invitation ISTR.
>>

I don't think it is quite the same. What seems to have happened in the doctor's case is that by removing the railings he has blurred the difference between the public highway and non-highway, and over time the public right of way along the highway has been widened.

We have had this discussion before. At root there is a deliberate unwillingness by most people to appreciate the fundamental difference between ownership of the freehold of land and ownership of a right of way. The two exist independently of each other.
If someone, or the general public, has a right of way over your land, be it road, footpath or bridleway, the owner of the freehold has no more right to obstruct it than does anyone else.

Rights over land change over the years through use, and have to be preserved diligently or they can easily become lost. With hindsight he should have retained the railings, or replaced them with a locked chain.
 parking on private property - Bigtee
Some cars in the past used to park on some private land at the side of our homes this was ok they visited neighbours then somebody parked one there to sell with his stickers all over it.

After the brick went through the windscreen & through a window of another one it all stopped amazing....................
 parking on private property - L'escargot
>> I parked my motorbike on a bit of unused pavement,

Pavement, whether apparently unused or not, is surely still "pavement" intended for pedestrians.
 parking on private property - VxFan
Isn't there some rule that if a motorcyclist covers up his numberplate when parked (eg with a carrier bag) then a traffic warden / parking official isn't allowed to remove it as it would be classed as tampering? No numberplate = no ticket.
 parking on private property - Old Navy
>> Isn't there some rule that if a motorcyclist covers up his numberplate when parked (eg
>> with a carrier bag) then a traffic warden / parking official isn't allowed to remove
>> it as it would be classed as tampering? No numberplate = no ticket.
>>
In that case it should apply to cars as well.
Latest Forum Posts