Motoring Discussion > Converting classics to electric Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 6

Converting classics to electric - bathtub tom
Just seen an item on local news about a company (Lunaz) converting old, classic cars. They had an XK140 and said the cost, with complete restoration, would be around £350K. I can only weep.
A certain Mr Beckham was looking around, so I can only assume it appeals to a 'certain' sort of person.
 Converting classics to electric - Rudedog
Agree... just cant see the point and it's criminal in destroying part of the joy of owning a classic.

Old cars are currently exempt from ULEZ and congestion charging so no advantage there... I would die if I took out a flat six from an old Porsche.

Converting classics to electric - Lygonos

Much as I love EVs, if I had a classic with a nice engine (6+ cylinders) I wouldn't be into electrifying it.

If it had a munter of an engine, like an MGB, on the other hand...
 Converting classics to electric - Manatee
>>munter of an engine, like an MGB

Those BMC engines always started. I don't think my '65 Oxford ever failed, or two ancient Minis, unlike nearly every other car I owned in the 1970's.

My son has an MX-5. I'm glad. the great days of motoring are all but over.
>>munter of an engine, like an MGB

I had no problems with the 'B' series. A great engine, especially with a stage one camshaft. Improved torque,smoothness and economy. Unlike the 'O' series that replaced it. Low torque and all sorts of design problems. No doubt it was an improvement on paper, but in real life?
Just watched an old Mike Brewer World Of Cars, where he visited a guy who converted classics to electric. I thought I'd be shouting at the screen, but he made me think.
If I understood it right, he collects all the gear from crashed Teslas. He was converting a Corvette, which he said had engine problems and usually people want to fit a modern V8, but what's the difference to converting it?
No mention was mentioned of weight, range or battery life, but I might be changing my mind.
 Converting classics to electric - Lygonos
Various videos of this being built back in 2017 - I know the Evora isn't a classic but gives an idea of what can be achieved.

In this case they cut the battery pack to 32kWh to keep the weight down (still weighs about 1400kg though).

550bhp, RWD, 0-60 2.9s

www.mountainpassperformance.com/blue-lightning/
Latest Forum Posts