Motoring Discussion > BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyrednemotional Replies: 20

BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - tyrednemotional
(after E.J. Thribb)

After 5 pleasurable years of owning a BMW X1 2.0i Xline, the time has come for a change.

I signed on the bottom line for a Volvo XC40 B4 AWD Inscription Pro this morning, hopefully to be available in about 8 weeks.

It'll most probably be the last largely petrol car I buy (though it is a mild-hybrid, with a battery about the size of an AAA), but it is time to enjoy the "evening star".

It has so many toys on it that I'd be concerned about electrical consumption if it were full battery anyway ;-)

The chip shortage has hit Volvo slightly; the Driver Assistance package (which wasn't a critical part of the package, but I'd specified), isn't available (they can't get the bits to implement BLIS, apparently), so, having originally chosen FWD to keep me under £40K, I switched to AWD (a la BMW) and without the former, it just crept in.

It's roughly in the same marketing space as the X1, but a rather different car and character. I'd initially put it down the list on the basis of gearbox (suspected DCT - which I think it is/was on the pure petrol models) and the touch-screen control for everything. I then discovered the 2-litre mild-hybrids had the same Aisin TC gearbox as the current X1. The touchscreen makes for neatness, but not necessarily the best safety (a surprise for Volvo), but the key functions are simple to control using voice.

A test drive was had, (at the drop of a hat - FWD, but otherwise exactly the required spec) and it impressed. The main (and probably only) criticisms I would have of the X1 were the seats (theyre merely "OK", and I have the better sports seats) and road noise, both of which were considerably better in the XC40. The voice control under real conditions was also fine (which is a relief, because the fingerprints on the touchscreen are going to get to me - OCD, moi?).

The X1 has kept a remarkable proportion of it's original value. Even the WBAC offer (bettered in p/ex) is over 55% of what I paid for it 5 years ago. It is only on 20k miles (the benefit of having a Smart used for local purposes and a motorhome used for holidays - over 10k per annum between all of them) but it's still nice to have bought the right car at the right time. In some ways, I'll be sorry to see it go - it'll make someone a fine car until/unless something major goes wrong, but it's time for a change.

I'm equidistant from a number of different Volvo dealers. The one that gave me the test drive got the first chance to try to sell me one (and failed at the first hurdle - absolutely no figures for 10 days, despite chivvying). Subsequently they've been in touch, but are nowhere near the offer I've accepted from a different dealer (response on the spot - then, after a change of spec, and a challenge to sharpen the pencil, I got the (IMO good) deal I wanted).

Hence the purchase today. Wish me luck that they can still find enough chips! ;-)
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Fri 4 Jun 21 at 13:35
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - Zero
I like them, its a smart looking wagon. Alas the 40 and 60 are not large enough in the dog department, and the 90 is TFB.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 4 Jun 21 at 13:44
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - PeterS
I also like them…they’re good looking cars. On the X1 front, I think most used cars are in strong demand at the moment following last years low sales of new cars. A good time to change.

Mild Hybrid really ought not to be a thing; while the Merc is also one I’m under no illusion is makes any difference to the economy in the real world!
>>
>> Mild Hybrid really ought not to be a thing; while the Merc is also one
>> I’m under no illusion is makes any difference to the economy in the real world!
>>

....very little, but what it does help to do (or at least the figures indicate) is to flatten the torque curve quite considerably, and make sure it comes in early in the rev range, by adding (electric) assistance when required.

I wasn't particularly sold on mild-hybrid, it's just that that characteristic helps to keep it close to the X1's power and torque figures (and introduces the possibility of retaining a TC auto).
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - PeterS
Thanks - I didn’t realise they also had that effect. Having now looked at the figures for mine, it has 300bhp and the 48v mild hybrid adds 14 of boost for short periods. It also has 400Nm of torque, and the mild hybrid bit adds 150Nm, though below 2,500 rpm (peak torque is between 3 and 4,000 rpm) but again only for a short time. Mind you, it does only have a 0.9KwH battery. So that’s not surprise…

The XC40 also comes in some very nice colours, which makes a change from the usual BMW/MB/Audi black, grey, silver and white. If I had a need for that sort of car it’d be top of my list. Please us know how you get on with it :)
>> The XC40 also comes in some very nice colours, which makes a change from the
>> usual BMW/MB/Audi black, grey, silver and white.

..they've dialled the colour choice down this MY, and the non-white/black ones are all a little meh!

(It looks a very nice car in metallic black or white, the latter particularly with the black roof which isn't an option on the Inscription - but I've lived with the impracticality of both black and white, and would rather avoid).

Of the remaining choices, the least dull one is "Fusion Red", which was a possibility, but it is definitely a bit "Tango" in some lights.

Hence the choice of "Pebble Grey" (which isn't), which wasn't going to get chosen, because I couldn't see the car in it anywhere (pictures are no good). Anyway, there was one on the forecourt this morning, and it won out over "Tango".

An uninspiring, but reasonably dignified "Champagne" colour much like a V70 I had back in the days when Pontius was still a pilot (I'm sure some on here will insist on calling it beige ;-) ). Doesn't need washing quite as much as most of the other colours.
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - Runfer D'Hills
I like those too T&E. Fine choice.

But, yes, you do of course realise the level of ammunition you have now provided by a man of a certain age buying a beige Volvo...?

;-)))
>> But, yes, you do of course realise the level of ammunition you have now provided
>> by a man of a certain age buying a beige Volvo...?
>>
>> ;-)))
>>

...well, someone has to provide the archetype......and I do like to live up to expectations.

(I shall need the full month's training course from NASA to work all the "systems" though).

.....and a red one would have been so Cheshire.....
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Fri 4 Jun 21 at 20:16
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - Bobby
Good luck with the new Volvo TnE. As you know I am a fellow X1 xline owner, although I have the 2.0 diesel version.
Still absolutely love the car - interesting you saying about tyre noise, when I switched from the factory fit Bridgestones to the all season Michelins I noticed a substantial reduction in tyre noise.

Interested on your car valuation - mine new (Sept 2016) was £39500 list price though I have no idea what the previous owner actually paid. I got it for £21500 in Jun 2019 at 9000 miles. Now on about 30k miles coming up for its 5th birthday. Obviously I would think petrol values will be greater than diesel!

I have never liked Volvos especially the ones with that "floating" centre console though yours doesnt seem to have that. I love my gadgets and toys but even I think I might get frustrated with everything on the touch screen, even basic functions.

I do like the idrive, very capable now of driving and using my left hand to twiddle the knob (oo-er) for specific functions whilst glancing at the screen. Think it could be differen though having to look at the screen and make sure you touch the right button.

Enjoy the new car!
You have to twiddle your knob? how quaint - I tell mine what to do.
 BMW - So, farewell then BMW X1 - bathtub tom
>>I tell mine what to do.

What about when she's not in the car?
>> >>I tell mine what to do.
>>
>> What about when she's not in the car?

That one ignores me - at best.
Not sure if my car has the “speech” function but I generally stay away from any of these types of things whether it be Alexa, Google, Siri or whatever.
Easier to press a button to do what you require rather than press a button to speak to try and remember the key words you need to use to get it to do what you could have already done by yourself!
>Interested on your car valuation - mine new (Sept 2016) was £39500 list price though I have no
>idea what the previous owner actually paid. I got it for £21500 in Jun 2019 at 9000 miles. Now
>on about 30k miles coming up for its 5th birthday. Obviously I would think petrol values will be
>greater than diesel!

...always difficult to tell what the real valuation is, as the final invoice figures get manipulated to meet the "cost to change" hurdle I tend to set (I'm not bothered how they represent the p/ex and discount as long as they come to an acceptable figure). It was certainly adjusted up to do that, but even the quick benchmark first offer I got from WBAC (July 16 car) was over £18K - I've no doubt I could have got more by waiting for them to come back.

>Not sure if my car has the "speech" function but I generally stay away from any of these types of
>things whether it be Alexa, Google, Siri or whatever.
>Easier to press a button to do what you require rather than press a button to speak to try and
>remember the key words you need to use to get it to do what you could have already done by
>yourself!

As per my original, this was one of the things that raised a question in my search. My X1 doesn't have "voice". In fact, the only car I've had with reasonably comprehensive voice control is the Mondeo I had as my first post-retirement non-company car. That was generally used as a gimmick, but was functional.

The XC40 has climate controls on the touch screen, but readily available in a fixed position - a number of other functions are supplied via steering-wheel buttons (and a cursor-selectable display in the instrument panel, not the central screen). The critical test, however, was whether I could achieve the required adjustment(s) without reading the manual, and those I tested it with, I could, and easily.

The system prompts with options, and will walk you through a complete option-tree if you wish. I like to think it gave the prompts in the instrument panel screen, but frankly, it was so intuitive, I can't vouch for that (it might have been the centre). For example, I easily managed to set the required temperature, and then re-synchronise the two sides of the climate-zones.

In fact, I think one of the best parts of the test-drive was that it just felt "right". I didn't think (even with complete unfamiliarity and some technology overload) that it felt like I was driving an unfamiliar car, and it was comfortable and everything to hand.

I liked almost every aspect, though I could live without the "Orrefors Crystal Gear Lever" fitted to this version (and obviously targeting the Cheshire North Western clientele).

(I also found out only yesterday that it is likely to come with only one full-function remote key, and a second, reduced-functionality one that you can set a top speed for - that should at least be good for winding-up the current Mrs 'nE).
Ah, that might explain why beige Volvos go everywhere at 40mph? Did wonder.

;-))
...man with black, mirrorless Fiat Jeepolino makes joke about beige pebble grey Volvo.... ??? ;-)
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Sun 6 Jun 21 at 11:31
It's ok, no really it is, I realised a very long time ago that trying to explain "cool" to a Yorkshireman has about as much future as trying to teach algebra to my terrier. You know when a dog puts its head on one side as it tries to work out what you mean, but you just know nothing is going in...?

;-))
...yeah, I had that same difficulty with Algebra as your dog (and partial differentiation as well).

The dog is actually looking at you and thinking "He buys a Fiat Jeepolino, and then expects me to listen to him whilst he pretends he understands Algebra!??"
tinyurl.com/y3nnhnzz
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 6 Jun 21 at 12:25
:-))))))
Just ran my car details through WBAC - £18900 which is less than £3k depreciation for me in 2 years which is quite amazing for a diesel I feel?
Latest Forum Posts