Motoring Discussion > Jaguar Drive and Compare. Car Deals
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 30

Jaguar Drive and Compare. - Zero
My new huge local Guy Salmon JLR dealer offered me a spot on their latest promotion, - Drive and Compare. I chose a Jaguar XF, vs a Mercedes E class.

You book, turn up, drink the rather fine coffee from your new freebie Jaguar coffee thermos, and nibble on a fresh panini while they check your driving license and arrange insurance. You then get thrown the keys to the car which has a pre programmed demo route in the sat nav.

1st Up was an XF (be still my beating heart) SPORTBRAKE. A P250 HSE R-dynamic to be precise. In dark BRG pearlescent. De-chromed. Jesus christ this thing is beautiful, I mean bite your knuckles orgasmic gorgeous.

Open the door, climb inside and sink into the soft (softer and more comfy I think than my Beemer) cream leather seats, contrasting superbly with the black carpets and Black leather dash and door caps, cream and black leather door cards, , the fine wood trim and light grey alcantara headlining. You feel special in here, it feels premium, it feels tasteful but smart. Electric seat, steering column and mirrors all tweaked into place, the hi tech displays beaming at you, you twitch the (now normal -none of this rising up turret) gear leaver into drive, and off you go.

The route was Sunbury cross, M3 to Camberley round the big junction and back to Sunbury. The first part of the M3 is good (and police safe) for a blast and blast it I did. Clearly its a ZF8 box like the Beemer, its got some grunt thats delivered smoothly and quietly - kicks down well but I am spoiled by the BMW B58 lump so it feels a little lacking - most would love it tho. Ride - fantastic, better then the Beemer, handling good but not quite on the button like the Beemer. Quiet both in ride and wind noise tho there was a noise from the back right somewhere.

Stopped along the way, had a good look over the car, the boot is huge, it would take the custom double dog box from the Beemer no problem. You can see where my heart is by now.

The tech is perfect, sat nav good with speed limit reading reading (100% accurate) and up to date speed camera warnings, - even if you like linking it to the limiter. Dials clear, and the sat nav pinches and zooms quickly and smoothly. Aircon a breeze to use.

Drive it back and reluctantly leave it there, glancing back to see its beauty one more time. (did I mention its heart achingly good looking?)

Fill up the jag coffee flask, grab a hairdresser biscuit.

So to the Mercedes, E220 AMG Night Line edition premium. It looks dumpy, almost ugly after the Jagwar. Climb inside into the all coal mine black interior, and perch on the harder seat. Premium? the Jagwar makes this feel positively winfield at Woolworths. The over large garish colours of the tech springs to life, and its time to fiddle with the stupid little stalk that is the gear selector, not knowing what state its in till one spots the tiny little gear indicator in one of the pac man displays.

Press the start button and bag of nails up ahead is unleashed, Quiet and smooth it aint. God knows how it gets the AMG monika cos sprightly it aint either.

We hit the same route and we discover the adaptive intelligent suspension, it reveals it presence by pitter pattering up and down over the Sunbury cross flyover, then rocking my head side to side over the drainage cambers in the fast lane. More road noise than the Jagwar.

The tech could have landed me in Jail. Reads the road signs, found the first variable 60, missed the 50, missed the 40 (both found by the Jag) and finally woke at the third 40. Trust destroyed.

Disliked this thing with a passion, tho it surprised me with a 38 MPG reading after the run with some heavy boots of throttle.

Hifi (both kitted out with premium branded sounds) sounded frankly no better than my standard Beemer audio.

Cant be bothered to find out how much the Mercedes is, the jag is 44.9k list in the spec I had. get that for 39 easy on Carwow, cost to change from the Beemer would be about 14k.

Then I climbed back into the Beemer. Jeez its close, I love the Jag, soo soo much, if they had given me the 3 litre petrol to try I would be in deep doo doo by now, but that 6 cyl turbine smooth 340 horses power plant just about snapped my wallet shut, I drove home got to some highly illegal speeds very quickly on the safe section of M3 and I was not disappointed in my current chariot.

Thats not to say I wont drool and have pangs of heart ache next time I pass an XF sport brake.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 4 Jun 21 at 03:15
And thats not to say that 14k cost to change is making me feel certainly, well, err, tempted.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 3 Jun 21 at 17:42
 Jaguar Drive and Compare. - Robin O'Reliant
By the end of the summer Zeddo, by the end of the summer.

Just enough time to talk yourself (And Mrs Z) into it. "Only live once, what's 14k these days, the Beemer's getting on a bit, etc etc".

You might as well bite the bullet and call back tomorrow.
 Jaguar Drive and Compare. - sooty123
I was down your way the other day, I don't think I've seen so many I-Pace's on one trip before.
 Jaguar Drive and Compare. - RichardW
You might as well do it before Jag go all nuts in 3 years and try and make them all into milk floats!!
>> You might as well do it before Jag go all nuts in 3 years and
>> try and make them all into milk floats!!

Trouble is, the low voltage leccy bits now are not a JLR strong point, lord knows what it will be like when it high voltage and all you have.....
 Jaguar Drive and Compare. - Biggles
I think your keyboard may be broken. That H should be an X.
Indeed it should, too late to change it now.

{I know someone who can ;)}
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 4 Jun 21 at 03:16
 Jaguar Drive and Compare. - Runfer D'Hills
I think you should go for it Z.

Jags have long been just the thing for the dodgy geezer types, leave the Beemers to the brash city boys, and the Mercs to the gentlemen...

;-))

Jaguar Drive and Compare. - Netsur
And if they had given him one with a 6-cylinder engine with a cream interior, he would now be driving an E350....
 Jaguar Drive and Compare. - legacylad
FFS. Just get an old Mondeo estate for carting the mutt around and one of those old fashioned flat 6 jobs from Zuffenhausen. Whilst you can still get in one.
>> FFS. Just get an old Mondeo estate for carting the mutt around and one of
>> those old fashioned flat 6 jobs from Zuffenhausen. Whilst you can still get in one.

Even my dogs have more class than you LL.
 Jaguar Drive and Compare. - legacylad

>>
>> Even my dogs have more class than you LL.
>>
My previous Lakeland Terrier cross would agree with that. He was most reluctant to be in my close company..he was off chasing rabbits and squirrels.
>> And if they had given him one with a 6-cylinder engine with a cream interior,
>> he would now be driving an E350....

He wouldnt. Its a barge.
 Jaguar Drive and Compare. - Netsur
So clearly Runfer and I are gentlemen, and you Sir are a ;-)

Mind you, given the quality of the drive I had earlier in the week in a Tesla 3, if they made an E-class sized estate, I would be very very very tempted...

Having said that Audi want £950pcm for an e-Tron 55 on contract hire, which to me is stupid money.
 Jaguar Drive and Compare. - PeterS
>> >> And if they had given him one with a 6-cylinder engine with a cream
>> interior,
>> >> he would now be driving an E350....
>>
>> He wouldnt. Its a barge.
>>

I certainly prefer my E350 (which isn’t a 6 cylinder anyway) to the Jag taxi that brought me back from Amesbury to Chichester. That was a lovely shade of blue, but spec’ed with a black (faux?) leather interior and brushed steel inlays. A very uninspiring place to sit. Ride was good though, but no more so than the Merc IMO and that’s on 20” wheels (which is one of the causes of the MB Assist debacle anyway I suspect) Mine (or the taxi either I imagine) doesn’t have air suspension - that was a £3k option. My saddle brown with black dash and carpets paired with contrast saddle brown stitching in the dash, has a far nice ambiance. But then, these are all personal choices. I am amazed however that anyone ordered an E220 with air suspension…
 Jaguar Drive and Compare. - hawkeye

>>
>> Jags have long been just the thing for the dodgy geezer types, leave the Beemers
>> to the brash city boys, and the Mercs to the gentlemen...
>>

Oi!
Ex-capting of industry, currently impoverished property magnate, but never, ever a dodgy geezer. They don't do geezers up here, anyway.

Good write-up Mr Z; I enjoyed reading it. Wonder what the part-ex would be on a 17-year-old S-Type?
 Jaguar Drive and Compare. - No FM2R
I'd keep the 17yr old S-Type, a lovely thing.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 4 Jun 21 at 18:10
>> I'd keep the 17yr old S-Type, a lovely thing.

So would I

And get the XF
 Jaguar Drive and Compare. - Runfer D'Hills
Would the Jag come with free breakdown cover?

Just a thought and so on.

;-)
>> Would the Jag come with free breakdown cover?
>>
>> Just a thought and so on.
>>
>> ;-)

A very good reason why the Beemer is on the drive and not a JLR (not that BMW is immune from issues, but not on JLR levels)
I think TnE mentioned it in his BMW>Volvo thread, the shortage of chips.

JLR is citing unavailability of lots of features/options (even complete cars) due to chip shortage.
A lot (all?) of the manufactures cut back hard on orders and pipeline for bits to make cars, expecting presumably some form of economic slump…. That hasn’t materialised, but the capacity at fabs has been taken up by increased orders for chips used in consumer electronics, demand for which has risen significantly. And now there no capacity for the car makers to place new orders… It takes 2 or 3 years to build a new one, and they cost around £2 billion pounds. I’d read that Peugeot had reverted to analogue dials in some of its models in order to keep production lines moving…which given French automotive electronic robustness might be a good thing ;)
Another issue is that fab plants have all been moved to emerging economy locations, all of which have been hit hard staff wise and travel wise by covid.

Most manufacturers are now talking bringing fabs back home, but as you say, you dont move one overnight.
 Jaguar Drive and Compare. - Lygonos
My (limited) understanding is the Jag 4-cyl is a lot more reliable than their 6-pot engines.

A friend's V6 F-Type lunched a cylinder head at something like 30k miles/4yr old and was a ballache to get sorted to his satisfaction with his dealer.
To be fair, the P250 was remarkable smooth and quiet for a 4cyl diesel. Not quite 6 pot petrol territory, but it put the lump in the MB to shame for both power delivery and NVH. I could happily lve with it (with the odd twinge of regret)
 Jaguar Drive and Compare. - Lygonos
I'm ready for a beating if I'm talking poop but isn't the P250 petrol, and the D200 the disease one?

Might explain the smoothness!
 Jaguar Drive and Compare. - tyrednemotional
>> I'm ready for a beating if I'm talking poop but isn't the P250 petrol.....
>>

...I was about to say the same.....
>> >> I'm ready for a beating if I'm talking poop but isn't the P250 petrol.....
>> >>
>>
>> ...I was about to say the same.....

Confused bunny is I then. Insurance paperwork said P250, salesperson said diesel. It was a bit too smooth for a diesel, and Vicky vercy a bit too rough for a petrol then.

I'm ok now, think I'm cured, now I have been removed from its good looks. Like an alkie tho, the next look at one will make me wobbly.
The P250 is definitely a petrol. The only diesel option is the D200, and if Wednesdays taxi, sorry, executive transfer, was anything to go by refined it is not. And, no matter how beguiling the interior and exterior of a thoughtfully specified Jaguar can be, I think anyone buying one after a 3 year stint with one of BMWs finest cars is in for a world of short, medium and long term disappointment…
 Jaguar Drive and Compare. - Bill Payer
>> To be fair, the P250 was remarkable smooth and quiet for a 4cyl diesel. Not
>> quite 6 pot petrol territory, but it put the lump in the MB to shame
>> for both power delivery and NVH. I could happily lve with it (with the odd
>> twinge of regret)
>>

I had a Merc E Class diesel as a courtesy car - I thought the paperwork said 250 and the 4cyl 250's were reported to be rough and I could feel that but thought it wasn't too bad. Was gobsmacked when I opened the bonnet and saw it was a V6.
Latest Forum Posts