Motoring Discussion > Admiral refuse to price match Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 37

Admiral refuse to price match - zippy
Miss Z got her renewal quote for the Aygo. 26, clean driving history.

Admiral were just shy of £600 whilst Avila came in at £425. Same benefits. Aviva is 5* Defaqto rated.

Admiral refused to move on the pricing. First time I have seen such intransigence from them.

Aviva are her new insurers.
 Admiral refuse to price match - Falkirk Bairn
A son was awaiting his car renewal from Aviva and had already done some comparisons - ready for a battle. Full NCB, 2 drivers

His 320D Aviva renewal fell 20% to £194 - comparison sites were all £240+ for a known insurer and reasonable excess.

Still somewhere dearer than my CRV - £124 comp, 2 drivers last August.
 Admiral refuse to price match - Zero
Mark will be on in a minute to tell you how an insurer balances their risk and profit portfolio. Basically, they are not looking for her kind of risk/profit at the moment. In the internet day or price comparison sites, the old adage that it costs less to keep a customer than get a new one - no longer applies. (well it does a bit but its far less than it used to be)
 Admiral refuse to price match - martin aston
My wife’s renewal from Churchill last week. About £195 but she had online quotes for £20- £40 less. Faced with this Churchill were not for shifting much, about £10 knocked off. The last couple of changes have been bit of a nuisance so she decided to stick with Churchill.

Sometimes saving 10p a day is just not worth the bother.

On the other hand MoreThan, who used to be her very competitive insurer send a quote each year without her asking. It was about £370 this year!
Last edited by: martin aston on Tue 2 Mar 21 at 15:41
 Admiral refuse to price match - No FM2R
>> Mark will be on in a minute to tell you how an insurer balances their
>> risk and profit portfolio. Basically, they are not looking for her kind of risk/profit at
>> the moment. In the internet day or price comparison sites, the old adage that it
>> costs less to keep a customer than get a new one - no longer applies.
>> (well it does a bit but its far less than it used to be)
>>

I missed this, but he's quite right.
 Admiral refuse to price match - Bill Payer
>> Miss Z got her renewal quote for the Aygo. 26,
>> Admiral refused to move on the pricing. First time I have seen such intransigence from
>> them.

Same happened with both my "kids". Exactly the same thing happened, two years apart - insured with Admiral for a reasonable cost from 21 to 25, then renewal at 25 was bonkers dearer and they refused to move.
 Admiral refuse to price match - Robin O'Reliant
They are refusing to move because too many people have learned that the premiums can be negotiated down with a bit of haggling. The AA were a soft touch a decade ago, I had my renewal halved a couple of times with no more than a quick phone call. This year they wouldn't budge more than twenty quid and let me walk.

Same with retailers. Those of us who knew that the big stores would often be happy to reduce a price from £330 to £300 and chuck in free delivery to get a sale because a ten quid profit was better than no profit and they'd soon get another telly or whatever from their warehouse to sell at full price were able to get a deal.

Then along came that obnoxious jerk Dom Littlewood with his "Don't get done - get Dom" TV show where he went round bullying retailers, "C'mon pal 'old aught yer 'and and we'll shake on a monkey and a years free service" and that went out the window as everyone and his uncle were trying it. Go into Curry's now and ask for the odd thirty P off and they'll look at you like you're mad.
>> They are refusing to move because too many people have learned that the premiums can
>> be negotiated down with a bit of haggling.

No, it's not that. I'm going back some years and the girls premiums had come steadily down as they got older and their NCB increased. Admiral had been the cheapest (of companies you'd heard of) for both of them for some years.

Then at the renewal following their 25th birthday, which used to be the point at which car insurance became the same price as for grown-ups, the premiums increased dramatically. One daughter got a more normal price with LV= and the other, a couple of years later, went with Aviva.

Obviously there's something in Admiral's model that's causing the price to jump - who knows, maybe their algorithm says that after four claim free years you're due an accident so they dump you while the going's good!

>> Go into Curry's now and ask for the odd thirty P off and they'll look at you like you're mad.

We don't use it much but have a PC World business account - they'll discount stuff in store without even asking.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Tue 2 Mar 21 at 21:23
 Admiral refuse to price match - smokie
Feels a bit cheeky and money grabbing to me, when most motorists will actually be doing far fewer miles per annum than usual, and thus lower risk.
>> Feels a bit cheeky and money grabbing to me, when most motorists will actually be
>> doing far fewer miles per annum than usual, and thus lower risk.
>>

Normally I would agree with that sentiment. I have certainly driven fewer miles in the last year, from an average of 20k a year to about 1k miles in the last 12 months.

Miss Z on the other hand is tripling her anticipated mileage from 5k miles to 15k miles, simply because she has moved from a working at a hospital that is 1 mile away to one 22 miles away (44 miles a day).

Mrs Z's insurance with Admiral is due in May, it will be interesting to see what they do with pricing then.
 Admiral refuse to price match - PeterS
>> Feels a bit cheeky and money grabbing to me, when most motorists will actually be
>> doing far fewer miles per annum than usual, and thus lower risk.
>>

Judging by the traffic levels round here over the last year I’m not sure that’s the case for most people! Lockdown 1 and the roads were dead for about 4 weeks, but since then there’s been a steady rise back to normal most times of the day. There isn’t the rush-hour snarl up on the A27 round Chichester any more, but if anything it’s busier at what were traditionally quiet times. Looking at my cars, the MINI has done 5k miles since March last year, and the Merc 10k. So 15k a year, which is about where it’s been for 10 years or so. Admittedly 3k of that was going to Italy, but in a ‘normal’ year we’d have gone to France at least once anyway.
 Admiral refuse to price match - Crankcase
I seem to recall some insurers threw £25 back at policy holders automatically last year, some did if you asked, and some didn't do anything.

I'm with LV and they kept (and keep) saying "if you have suffered financially let us know", but I'm not sure whether doing so triggers a refund on premium, or whether they just offer you some sort of extended credit at a million percent or something.

I think you had to prove your loss with payslips or some such, not just ring up for free money.
 Admiral refuse to price match - hawkeye
March is insurance month for me. Two cars, a motorbike and a house. Our cars were on a Direct Line joint thing; quite reasonable last year. My renewal was down a quid for the Jaguar but Mrs H's went up from £160 to over £200. More than the Jaguar. We're at £160 for me with Quotemehappy and £110 for Mrs H with NCB protected. DL wouldn't shift. Insurers only want new customers it seems.

Having spent yesterday morning on the comparison sites and calling people, I got a really obscure text this morning from 60243 asking to rate the service provided by 'Michelle': no company name, no link, nowt. I don't think Michelle will be getting much feedback and my memory or notes don't recall the name.
60243 is Privilege / Direct Line.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 3 Mar 21 at 14:09
 Admiral refuse to price match - Terry
Insurers have now realised there are two types of customer - those who:

- generally accept the renewal premium - possibly lazy, disorganised, minted or happy

- routinely get competitive quotes and will move for the sake of a few ££ saving

They make a lot more money long term from the former, the latter takes effort and needs to be discounted to match the lowest price.

Guess who they prefer!!
I also think they have moved on from "any new customers are good customers" to "the customers that fit our portfolio strategy are good customers".

>> I also think they have moved on from "any new customers are good customers" to
>> "the customers that fit our portfolio strategy are good customers".
>>

That's what we do, but call it risk strategy and pricing structure.
 Admiral refuse to price match - hawkeye
Thanks. Makes sense. But there won't be any feedback without a link.
 Admiral refuse to price match - Rudedog
Got an email today from LV=

They are 'pre-warning' me that this year I can probably expect a big rise in my premiums, no exact details as I have to wait for my actual renewal to be calculated.

Apparently due to the increased risk of fast cars being nicked prices will go up, not because of anything I've done but all are going up across the sector.

I've not had any issues with LV= and especially liked how they charged for driving in Europe.

Don't really want to move but I'll have to wait and see how big the hike will be but maybe other insurance companies will be doing the same.

>>LV=

Sold apparently so sadly no longer a mutual.

tinyurl.com/4u3p8kjz
 Admiral refuse to price match - PeterS
>> >>LV=
>>
>> Sold apparently so sadly no longer a mutual.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/4u3p8kjz
>>

That doesn’t bode well... I’ve been an advocate of LV for a while now; great service, reasonable prices and easy to deal with. Indeed, having just moved from the house we’ve lived in for the last 11 years, they were one of the easiest organisations to deal with. That includes a write-off, a dialysis induced buildings claim and a death. For the change of address one call and building, contents, travel and car insurance were all updated in about 2 minutes. Barclays on the other hand...
 Admiral refuse to price match - legacylad
LV allowed me to cancel my annual travel insurance policy and refunded me pro rata. Excellent service.
I’ll renew with them mid September, if not before. The power of positive thought.
Depending on my actual figure will be I will probably stay, as you said I've had good service from them so I would be prepared for a certain level of increase.

They refunded me when I removed the breakdown cover which wasn't need with my new GTi, even the increase on the remainder of the my premium when I changed was minimal which I had to question as it was so low.

Rudedog
Like the Gti ?....is there a separate thread on your new acquisition and what you changed from, and if not maybe enlighten us on your initial impressions please ?
Sorry thread drift
I thought you might ask...

I not very good at doing write-ups.

Just to say I've driven only VW's since 1990, before that I had a couple of Metro Turbo's so you can see I like them.

I went from my brand new 2006 Golf TDi 140 and changed last August to a 2019 Golf 7.5 GTi PP, the time was right for many reasons.

I did lots of looking but I was always going to buy from a main dealer, so my car is a 2019 reg car and cost 25K (bank loan) with 11K on the clock, it's doesn't have any options apart from darkened rear windows, I wanted the standard seats (tartan) plus the 18" alloys and that was actually HARDER to find then the upgrades! The one option I did want was the climate front screen but not many drivers seem to spec that.

Going from a older diesel to petrol was a jump but to be honest the mpg hasn't been that bad on my daily commutes, in fact at the moment it works out slightly better, were it falls down is on the motorway (I guess you know that after having the Porsche).

Personally I think the 7.5 will be the sweet-spot of the Golf range, many PCP Golf owners are very reluctant to change to the Mk8 due to build issues (major software, cheaper interiors), the ride of the Mk8 seems to be a winner though.

In the few months I've had the 7.5 I love it! Simple but very fast, ride is great and as long as you get a PP version the LSD (half a Haldex unit) really help around fast corners.

Obviously you need to know if you want a DSG (loads) or manual (rare), I've always had a DSG and never ever had a problem, the DSG is a 7 speed so in D will always want to change up to save fuel, just put in S or manual if you want to go very fast.

Interiors are excellent, nice mixture of buttons and tech (car-net allows you to connect to the internet or you can use your own phone's hotspot), I never even took my car for a test drive, the salesman asked why? I said "Well it's a Golf!".

I hope to keep mine for as long I can run it for, well past 2030, I've taken out a VW service plan which was cheaper on a Black Friday deal (£16pm) for one minor and one major service and I've put the GTi onto 12mth/10K services (next in at the end of the month for 2nd service).

Makes a lovely noise, either with the 'fake' sound on or off.

Maybe a bit like some of the other threads on fast cars just check to see if it's been modified as I know from the GTi forum I go on many drivers are doing software changes even on new cars still under PCP deals.

Overall it's a very practical fast car, and I think the 7.5 is the best of them.

Thanks Rudedog. From the little I’ve read the Mk 7.5 facelift is the sweet spot.
I’ve got great memories of my Mk1 Gti, through very strong rose tinted glasses, but my head tells me that as a long term proposition it isn’t large enough. I’m always carrying stuff in the back, whether it be tools, mowers, logs, 3 or 4 friends and their kit, and I really need an older estate which I won’t be too bothered about getting dented and scratched.
Although if one came along at the right price....
Just in case you need to know there are a few things I forgot to include..

Seems the Mk8 GTi has had several of the standard options made chargeable, so on the late model MK7.5 you should get;

Heated seats
Folding door mirrors
All round sensors
Rear parking camera
Bi-xenons with LEDs (this should include Dynamic Light Assist)

You could always look at the Golf estates or Passats that come as R versions.
 Admiral refuse to price match - Clk Sec
>> Got an email today from LV=
>> They are 'pre-warning' me that this year I can probably expect a big rise in
>> my premiums,

A while back, after many years with LV, I reluctantly moved to another well respected insurer for an annual saving of around £80. Although I've never had to claim from them, they did seem to be a well run company and were always prepared to knock a few pounds of their renewal quotes.
When I sold my car last Saturday I phoned my insurer...they allow two weeks to change the vehicle on the policy before cancelling and refunding. Probably par for the course.

No sign of a replacement car yet !
>> Got an email today from LV=
>>
>> They are 'pre-warning' me that this year I can probably expect a big rise in
>> my premiums, no exact details as I have to wait for my actual renewal to
>> be calculated.
>>
Renewed both of ours in the last couple of months with LV= and they went up about 5%.

Mine had been around the same £250 for some years, but wife's premium seems to creep steadily up. I did check her's last year and found a Aviva Premium a chunk cheaper, but both the "kids" are on her car with business use, which I think is unusual and no doubt bumps it up. We've had a couple of claims in the family on LV= policies and they've been pretty good (although not outstanding) so I've left them as is for now.

I did get an email from LV= in the last couple of days but it was to stress that we are still covered if we use the car in lockdown and it seemed to imply that they'd added class 1 business use to all policies for working from home, but we have that anyway.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Sat 6 Mar 21 at 13:57
 Admiral refuse to price match - Dieselboy
The Admiral insurance renewal on my wife's Citroen C3 arrived last week. A rise of 40%, and that's before telling them about the SP30 she acquired late last year.

So, 10 minutes spent on Confused and a policy was bought with another company, for a reduction of a couple of pound on last year's price.

Rang Admiral to tell them not to renew. The man seemed offended when I said I wasn't interested in him "seeing what he could do". They'd burned their bridges chancing their arm with a 40% increase.
 Admiral refuse to price match - Falkirk Bairn
>>They'd burned their bridges chancing their arm with a 40% increase

If any company seeks to rip you off find another supplier and NEVER go back to the rip-off merchants.

Currys refusing to replace goods that were faulty after only 10 days - got refund from Credit Card Co

E-sure - 40% increase in motor & house premiums with no change in risk- moved to other "known name insurers"

Building Society charging twice for the same service!

£2,000 repair bill for a roadworthy car worth say £4,000 local Honda garage (lost franchise now empty glass palace)

All tried to take my money with exorbitant charges or increases in premiums way beyond inflation / price rise due to change of risk.
Nose/Face.

I can be bought. Currys were [are?] crap. On the other hand they can be cheap / convenient. e.g £10 cheaper is not worth the risk but £50 might be. a 1 mile drive to an alternative might be worthwhile, a 10 mile drive probably isn't.

Ditto insurance, ditto everything really.
 Admiral refuse to price match - neiltoo
My lv car insurance has risen from £380 to £412, th third large increase. My house insurance with them went up last month from £265 to £303.

So I spoke to the red telephone....

Car - £250, House - £223

I know these are "introductory" offers, but previous experience with Direct Line was OK

I stayed with LV because I was treated quickly and well over a no fault claim for a bump, but enough is enough.

Our annual travel insurance with Staysure was due last month also. Same price as last year, and good for an extra three months. I could have suspended the start until June if I wanted, for the same deal.

Different strokes eh?

8o)
He told me their 'discounted' price anyway - still more than the other company we went with.

I don't think it's a case of nose/face.
With nose/face I was referring to FB's approach of "never darken their doorstep again" not your renewal experience.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Ah I see.

I would have no problem if, say next year, Admiral came up cheapest on the next renewal search. I'd go back with them. Just not this year when they've chanced their arm then hope to reduce it by a few quid to keep a customer.
 Admiral refuse to price match - Stroudie
Received Churchill's renewal for the Niro few days ago-ca£346.
Went on to comparison sites and went with Darwin for £247.
Emails confirming policy, certificate, proposal, schedule, etc said no need to submit NCD record.
Looked up Darwin and it appears they are in the same group as Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege and Green Flag!
So they knew my record already, which must have included a claim for a new bumper made in March last year!
Latest Forum Posts